Why didn't anyone make sure Son Gohan kept training?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Why didn't anyone make sure Son Gohan kept training?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Like for an example of specifically when, once the Cell Games had concluded, why didn't any of the Z Fighters bothered to make sure that Son Gohan kept on training? Like just in case some other villain or villainess came after the defeat of Super Perfect Cell? As Piccolo and Future Trunks should been the ones to have asked Son Gohan to keep up his training as Super Perfect Cell might not have been the last threat to the Earth.
Last edited by Steven Bloodriver on Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why didn't Anyone Made Sure Son Gohan Kept Training?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:36 pm

Because it's none of Gohan's responsibility to be the world's sole savior. That's why we form societies and governments.

Also, Toriyama needs and excuse to make Gohan weaker for the sake of the plot he wants to tell.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Obligatory "Gohan never wanted to be a fighter and if you desperately wish he was a generic badass you missed the whole point of his character" response goes here.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:36 am

I could understand Gohan prioritising his studies during the 7 years of peace. Think about it, Goku was deceased and now the Son household was living off what remained of their tournament winnings from almost a decade ago and whatever the Ox-King was providing. They needed to find an alternative source of income so that was likely a prime motivator in Gohan dedicating himself to his studies.

What I'd like to know is why no one else was taking the initiative to build themselves up in the event of another cataclysmic threat like Cell. The ROSAT was always available for anyone to use if they wanted. I doubt Dende would have prevented them from using it. Piccolo or Tenshinhan/Chaozu could have it all to themselves. Does it have to be either Goku or Gohan that's most prepared for the threats?

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:56 am

between Cell and Buu, it was crazy to believe there could be somebody so stronger than Gohan SS2.
Even out of shape, he was still the strongest in the known universe by a large margin.

After Buu... well, Goku was back and Vegeta a certified Good Guy. And Gohan was still stronger than 99% of the rest of the known universe.
Plus Goten and Trunks.

Surai

Post by Surai » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:24 pm

It was his own responsibility to train, it’s his own fault if he didn’t. Gohan never liked to fight so training was just a duty for him and he probably thought it was extremely unlikely that another villain even stronger than Cell would show up.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:50 pm

Nothing would've been more out of character than Gohan training in times of peace, specially in almost a decade of peace. He hates it, he hates fighting, he always wanted to be a great investigator, my bet is his actual passion is his career, whatever that is.
He probably kept training at first, but having to help Chichi with a newborn baby in the house now that Goku is gone(due to his own cockiness), on top of continuing his own studies might have shorten his training schedule more and more. To the point that he doesn't even know his kid brother is a SS.

Actually I find it unfair to ask him to keep training while helping raise his little brother and working his way up to Orange Star High School at the same time.

Plus I can easily see Chichi forcing the books on him the very day he killed Cell, "you already saved the world, everything is fine now, get back to those books"

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:08 am

Becase Gohan didn't want to train. Everyone always noted the distinction of Goku & Gohan's motivations behind training so they weren't about to change that even if Gohan's potential was incredible. There was also no way to actually tell if & when someone even stronger than Cell was going to show up so everyone understandably became complacent in times of total peace.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:58 am

Why is everyone saying Gohan "doesn't like to train" or "he never wanted to be a fighter. " That was forced upon him by Chi Chi. To answer the question though it's because of plot. Gohan keeping up with his train In case something like that does happen makes sense. He is the strongest. Sure they have Vegeta but no one is trusting Vegeta to save the day. Tien Yamcha or Krillin going in Roast won't change anything since they are already so far behind. Piccolo could've gone back in I can agree with that but why should he when Gohan could go in a second time and become even stronger.

Surai

Post by Surai » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Perfectionist-Cell wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:58 am Why is everyone saying Gohan "doesn't like to train" or "he never wanted to be a fighter. " That was forced upon him by Chi Chi. To answer the question though it's because of plot. Gohan keeping up with his train In case something like that does happen makes sense. He is the strongest. Sure they have Vegeta but no one is trusting Vegeta to save the day. Tien Yamcha or Krillin going in Roast won't change anything since they are already so far behind. Piccolo could've gone back in I can agree with that but why should he when Gohan could go in a second time and become even stronger.
No, it’s pretty clear that Gohan chose no to train, that’s why he even stopped training in DBS. And he said to Cell that he never liked to fight unlike Goku, he only trained as a child because he had no choice.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't anyone made sure Son Gohan kept training?

Post by Lionel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:07 pm

I think Gohan doesn't mind recreational fighting so long as he isn't shedding blood in the process. We know he trained with Krillin onboard the Namekian vessel as they were making their way to Namek. Far as they knew, there wasn't any expectation of there being hostile forces which they would have to confront. Also, what does he expect dressing up as a superhero and stopping criminals would entail? It's usually going to require violence in order to thwart.

It's odd, someone like Tagoma can go from being comparable to Zarbon to trivialising Super Namekian Piccolo in four months after serving as Freeza's expendable punching bag but the humans and Piccolo can't achieve something similar with the ROSAT for 1-2 years? Can't say it's surprising that it would be the conclusion. Toriyama doesn't even choose to recognise the Kaioken's existence outside of an off-hand remark two decades later when it was revolving around Goku yet again during the Tournament of Power.

Romanesco

Post by Romanesco » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:25 am

Probably because Gohan doesn't like fighting and likes to become a scholar.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:37 am

I imagine it was his own choice and the fact that Chi Chi was so dead set against him learning to fight.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Gohan wasn't obligated to so if he wasn't interested in training then that's it. He could've helped his mom with teaching Goten though.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:53 pm

To be fair, the whole reason Gohan trained was because of there being threats after threats coming one after another, and because of that he wanted to help everyone out regardless of his own strength. Between Namek and Goku returning from Yadrat, we see Gohan studying as well, so it is no shock that the same would happen after the Cell games.
Simply, of all characters, fighting is a living for only a few. For the heroes, Yamcha didn't fight for a living at all, and Kuririn stopped having that lifestyle apparently after meeting 18. Tenshinhan and Chao-zu are the ones amongst the humans who most probably kept on living as fighters, par from Goku and Vegeta. All other characters trained mainly when there was a threat (and when there was no threat they kept in shape).
Look after the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. You'd expect the characters being much, much stronger in those 7 years but their power increase seems to be a bit marginal. Not even Goku kept up with his intense training, it seems.
And what would the odds be, that there would be someone later on who was stronger than Freeza ("strongest in the Universe", or even Cell (strong due to artificial means)?

So all in all, no one made sure that Gohan kept training since no one (probably) did it either. And also, Gohan was stronger than Super Perfect Cell, so even weakened he should have been able to take care of any enemies.
The ones who trained for sure were Piccolo (at least meditation training), Goku and Vegeta, and neither were living close with Gohan.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:28 am

Lionel wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:07 pm I think Gohan doesn't mind recreational fighting so long as he isn't shedding blood in the process. We know he trained with Krillin onboard the Namekian vessel as they were making their way to Namek. Far as they knew, there wasn't any expectation of there being hostile forces which they would have to confront. Also, what does he expect dressing up as a superhero and stopping criminals would entail? It's usually going to require violence in order to thwart.

It's odd, someone like Tagoma can go from being comparable to Zarbon to trivialising Super Namekian Piccolo in four months after serving as Freeza's expendable punching bag but the humans and Piccolo can't achieve something similar with the ROSAT for 1-2 years? Can't say it's surprising that it would be the conclusion. Toriyama doesn't even choose to recognise the Kaioken's existence outside of an off-hand remark two decades later when it was revolving around Goku yet again during the Tournament of Power.
Well that's exactly it. Gohan doesn't hate fighting like people in this thread seem to think he does. He likes fighting for sport and will fight to protect for justice and whatnot. He just doesn't like life or death battles like his dad does. Fans read far too into the line he says to Cell while forgetting right after he's willing to take Cell out for good once he realizes Cell isn't going to take a peaceful out. They also forget some chapters later when it's Gohan who is excited to fight and win in the tournament, it's Gohan excited to fight alongside his dad and take the initiative when it comes to fighting Babidi's men.

Even Super gets this right with Gohan excited during the exhibition match and during the recruitment he also tells Goku he's excited to fight some strong guys in the tournament. So yeah. Gohan doesn't hate fighting and he's certainly not a pacifist.

And to answer the OP's question... well most of Gohan's training was done with Goku. He used training as a way to bond with his dad and without him around... well, it's understandable that method of bonding was no longer available to him. Not to mention Goku being dead was supposed to put an end to all the conflicts on Earth so with as strong as Gohan was, there wasn't any real incentive to get any stronger at that point in time. However, when Boo does show up guess what? Gohan goes back into training right away. The same thing happens after Resurrection F and has stayed that way since Dragon World never catches a break.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Why didn't anyone make sure Son Gohan kept training?

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am

It was Gohan's responsibility to keep up his training. But does anyone here really think Chi Chi would've allowed it.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 am

Hulk10 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am It was Gohan's responsibility to keep up his training. But does anyone here really think Chi Chi would've allowed it.
Since Son Gohan didn't even think to have asked any of his friends to have taught him the Multi-Form technique so that he would have been able to train the technique and improve upon it until discovering a variation of it that would have allowed him to have trained and studied at the exact same time, I have come to believe for a very long time now that Son Gohan is the type to never learn from his past mistakes. As he keeps on repeating many of them again and again without end.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am It was Gohan's responsibility to keep up his training. But does anyone here really think Chi Chi would've allowed it.
Also, after the Cell Games, most of them retired from fighting because the gap between them and the new threats was just too wide a gulf to fill. Tenshinhan kept it up because Martial Arts is spiritual as well as physical to him. Chiaotzu maintained a little because he fallows Tenshinhan's companionship. But Krillin and Yamcha seemed content to go back to their mostly mundane lives.

This really was on Gohan and Piccolo (the only person besides Vegeta who'd make a half decent sparring partner for Gohan)
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 pm

Consdering she trained Goten, yes. The Buu saga established she really mellowed out in that regard. Until Super went back on it.