Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:36 am

Enjoyable episode, surprised it came out on Saturday and not Sunday as it was written

Hearts is Madara now.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:54 am

A promotional anime for Bing Bang Mission was announced

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 am

Will we finally get the full Time Patrol gang in anime form due to the BB mission crossovers? I sure hope so.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:24 am

Rakurai wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 am Will we finally get the full Time Patrol gang in anime form due to the BB mission crossovers? I sure hope so.
At the very least I hope the new eps last longer or that there will be a decent time schedule with them, instead of randomly making them whenever Bandai feels cool with it.

If anything, they might wanna milk this a lot, so I believe that instead of 'fixing' the current eps as everyone says, they might put the effort and change the S2 of SDBH.

Also, Ep 19 for early January? That's what I heard.
P O W E R

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:33 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:24 am
Rakurai wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 am Will we finally get the full Time Patrol gang in anime form due to the BB mission crossovers? I sure hope so.
At the very least I hope the new eps last longer or that there will be a decent time schedule with them, instead of randomly making them whenever Bandai feels cool with it.

If anything, they might wanna milk this a lot, so I believe that instead of 'fixing' the current eps as everyone says, they might put the effort and change the S2 of SDBH.

Also, Ep 19 for early January? That's what I heard.
I am hoping that the promotional anime will lead into a full-fledged SDBH anime season backed by Toei or some other studio. And with Shintani or Fenyo as the character designer if possible.

Not sure when the next episode will air (haven’t been keeping up with the promo anime lately) but SDBH BBM starts in March. I’ll be sure to tune in then at least.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 am

Personally I didn't enjoy this episode a whole lot. It had the usual issues (pretty stiff animation, power scaling doesn't exist) and wasn't very entertaining.
Something that bothers me is that when reading through comment sections and such, you'll find people trying to deflect criticism by pointing out that the SDBH promo anime isn't canon. Canon isn't a measure of quality, so while that is true, it's not an excuse. With the DBS anime still not being back, this is the main source of animated Dragon Ball, so it's not wrong for people to expect a little more.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Super Dragon Ball Heroes continues to shit the bed with non-existent power scaling, terribly underwritten characters and stiff animation. And I wouldn't even mind that problems if there was a even SEMBLANCE of the charm that Dragon Ball is known for, but it doesn't even have that.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Pretty much.

I was expecting something like episode 13 in this fight, so I'm really disappointed right now. However, the fight still isn't over so I have some hope.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:53 pm

I am surprised Hearts didn't die in this episode. I thought for certain that he would get defeated quickly, based on how the other major villains of the arc were handled; Zamasu and Lagss were defeated in one episode, the two twins were also defeated very quickly after they fused into that giant monster. Furthermore this arc is already very long in my opinion and I thought they would end it after that 2 months wait for this episode.

Still hoping there is a final twist like maybe Zamasu is not dead or something, but I doubt that since the story of this arc has been as basic and plain as possible.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Is it bad, yes. I have no idea what people are expecting. This promotional anime is junk food of the highest order, and not even particularly good junk food. Comfort food at best. It's never going to have substance and it's just gonna be the equivalent of animating two kids playing with action figures. I'm surprised people who complain are even still watching at this point. I'm not even saying this as someone who likes this as I really don't. I treat it as a dumb commercial...that's it. That's all it ever will be. It's inconsequential junk that can do whatever it wants and it affects nothing. The ultimate take it or leave it material. It's probably why I don't get angry as what's to get angry at? It doesn't matter to the lore and it knows it doesn't matter.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 pm

they really should make the main characters the Xeno squad.
Seeing Blue Goku and Vegeta in both the main series and spinoffs is SO FUCKING BORING.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:53 pmFurthermore this arc is already very long in my opinion and I thought they would end it after that 2 months wait for this episode.
Why would they end it before the arc has ended in the games?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:07 am

Well that was boring. Maybe even more boring than the previous one. But whatever, I see Heroes like if the main cast of a huge movie were to go to a talk how and reprise their roles in some other context just for laughs.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:37 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 pm they really should make the main characters the Xeno squad.
Seeing Blue Goku and Vegeta in both the main series and spinoffs is SO FUCKING BORING.
Been thinking that. Maybe the anime would benefit more if the focus was on the Time Patrollers. We just had a whole series with the Dragon Ball Super characters, whereas don't have new content with the Dragon Ball GT characters ever since, well, the end of that series. As all of this new content also serves as a follow-up to GT, it would be great to see on-screen what the characters have been doing lately. All the new characters and the content from the Dragon Ball Super side is great (especially seeing Fu in animated format) so that makes it up.

Well, it was said the Time Patrollers and the Dragon Ball Super characters will meet so that may end up appearing in the next season anyway.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:00 am

Man this thread is such a shitstorm of damage control that's being deflected back to the main source itself.

"It's bad cause Heroes"

"It's bad cause it's not canon"

These aren't even legitimate arguments. This series is mainly for an audience that has accessibility to SDBH arcades and cards. And that audience is mainly in the 8-15 year old demographic (and I can say this based on the ppl I see frequenting the arcade machines). They don't need to put out DBS: Broly levels of animation quality to impress these kids. And fans who already play the game will not care, for them it is at the very least a nice treat and service due to the success of the series.

Reminder: this series is NOT intended for western audiences or fans whose primary consumption is the main timeline series. There is a reason why it is region-blocked.

I do agree that the anime hasn't done a good job of representing the main source material, hence my lack of interest in it. Maybe it'll change with BBM, who knows. But after 17 episodes, you'd think that those who are still complaining should have dropped it by now. Especially if you think SDBH is a joke series to the franchise (it's not).

If you want a better told story of SDBH in non-arcade format, I would really recommend the manga series by Nagayama. Cipher has some summaries provided and there is a website where you can download clean raws. But to each his/her own, I suppose.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:57 am

Kanassa wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:53 pmFurthermore this arc is already very long in my opinion and I thought they would end it after that 2 months wait for this episode.
Why would they end it before the arc has ended in the games?
Because when I said that I had no idea what the games were doing.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Rakurai wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:00 am
Reminder: this series is NOT intended for western audiences or fans whose primary consumption is the main timeline series. There is a reason why it is region-blocked.
The fact that this is a thing shows how truly clueless Toei and Bandai really are.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:15 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm Is it bad, yes. I have no idea what people are expecting. This promotional anime is junk food of the highest order, and not even particularly good junk food. Comfort food at best. It's never going to have substance and it's just gonna be the equivalent of animating two kids playing with action figures. I'm surprised people who complain are even still watching at this point. I'm not even saying this as someone who likes this as I really don't. I treat it as a dumb commercial...that's it. That's all it ever will be. It's inconsequential junk that can do whatever it wants and it affects nothing. The ultimate take it or leave it material. It's probably why I don't get angry as what's to get angry at? It doesn't matter to the lore and it knows it doesn't matter.
The thing is Super Dragon Ball Heroes has a manga. It doesn't cover these events, as it deals more with the Xeno characters... but that manga is really good. It looks great, it gives decent, competent and sometimes genuinely clever reasons for all the crazy stuff Heroes is known for. When the promo anime got announced Heroes fans, like myself, were excited thinking it would live up to the standards that people working on the material have set for themselves. Not even high standards, mind you. And yet this series just can't hold up. It has some great music and by sheer willpower of some animators some good episodes... but other than that it's just trash and it's really sad because there was potential there.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:37 am

Draconic wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:15 am The thing is Super Dragon Ball Heroes has a manga. It doesn't cover these events, as it deals more with the Xeno characters... but that manga is really good.
There's also a manga covers the events of UVM, also published in Saikyou Jump. Nagayama has been doing both stories concurrently, it's just that no one has been translating UVM lately.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Draconic wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:15 am
dbzfan7 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm Is it bad, yes. I have no idea what people are expecting. This promotional anime is junk food of the highest order, and not even particularly good junk food. Comfort food at best. It's never going to have substance and it's just gonna be the equivalent of animating two kids playing with action figures. I'm surprised people who complain are even still watching at this point. I'm not even saying this as someone who likes this as I really don't. I treat it as a dumb commercial...that's it. That's all it ever will be. It's inconsequential junk that can do whatever it wants and it affects nothing. The ultimate take it or leave it material. It's probably why I don't get angry as what's to get angry at? It doesn't matter to the lore and it knows it doesn't matter.
The thing is Super Dragon Ball Heroes has a manga. It doesn't cover these events, as it deals more with the Xeno characters... but that manga is really good. It looks great, it gives decent, competent and sometimes genuinely clever reasons for all the crazy stuff Heroes is known for. When the promo anime got announced Heroes fans, like myself, were excited thinking it would live up to the standards that people working on the material have set for themselves. Not even high standards, mind you. And yet this series just can't hold up. It has some great music and by sheer willpower of some animators some good episodes... but other than that it's just trash and it's really sad because there was potential there.
I mean the manga gets full chapters IIRC, while the anime is like 8 minutes or less including opening and closing. One has time to really do something, while the other doesn't really have as much time to tell a good continued story by comparison. I probably would be more angry if it actually effected anything like tons of Super, but it's purposely made inconsequential and in its own bubble so I can't really bring myself to do it. It's not really replacing anything from a production front so it doesn't get me there either. It exists. It's disappointing and you're right. All your criticism is right as well as your feelings towards it. I just personally can't hate something that knows it doesn't matter. Knows it's a waste of time and merely promotional. It's garbage, it's bad, it knows it's of no real substance beyond advertising a card game. Could it have been way better, hell yeah. But with it's really short time per episode as well as not at all affecting the continuity we actually truly care for, it kinda just gets apathy.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!