MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/19!)

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:48 pm

I've always found the manga fast paced and enjoyed a lot of the additional stories in the television show. Honestly don't think there's a single additional story in the Namek arc I dislike.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/19!)

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:48 pm I've always found the manga fast paced and enjoyed a lot of the additional stories in the television show. Honestly don't think there's a single additional story in the Namek arc I dislike.
I can understand that. The manga's storyline moved at a brisk pace in parts, which gave the anime staff excuses to flesh out certain things, which is all fine, but, to me, the majority of Z's filler after the Saiyan arc, even then, isn't something I care for. Especially when the majority of it is just extending fight scenes which, especially in the fight against final form Frieza, can slow the pace to a crawl at times. Kai took care of that problem by greatly improving the pace of it with removing the filler.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/25/19!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:12 am

The Even Bigger, Not As Dumb Ending - DBD TV: The Freeza Arc Part 4!

The animated Freeza Arc comes to a close with our look at the ending. I had quite a few things to say about the original ending of this arc, but since the anime changes it in very fundamental ways, you won't be surprised I have a lot to say. Also, I finally get a chance to explain just why I hate the term "Z-Warrior" oh-so-incredibly much.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:01 am

I, too, dislike the term "Z Warriors". For basically the reasons you listed.
This series has given me many ideas for if I go back in time to when I wrote fanfiction, starting with Freeza filler. Aside from Goku's space-training, it feels like that spark behind Saiyan filler faded. A handful of filler episodes in the first half would have spared us some of the worst from the second half. I also remember someone hereabouts once suggesting that seeing Mr. Popo gather the dragonballs would have been better than the staring contests, and I tentatively agree, on the grounds that it could be really annoying if not used to augment the ticking clock, rather than kill the tension.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:28 pm

I don't hate the term "Z Warriors," but I can understand why someone WOULD. Maybe because I haven't seen the original anime in its entirety before the Buu Saga, or because I haven't given it much thought, but I don't have a seething hatred for it. Maybe it just has to do with how much Lance has had to argue against it over the years, but I never see many people talk about the term, so I've never had to talk about it. Maybe that just bolsters the point about it not being a good nickname for the team, but I don't see the big deal.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:28 pm I don't hate the term "Z Warriors," but I can understand why someone WOULD. Maybe because I haven't seen the original anime in its entirety before the Buu Saga, or because I haven't given it much thought, but I don't have a seething hatred for it. Maybe it just has to do with how much Lance has had to argue against it over the years, but I never see many people talk about the term, so I've never had to talk about it. Maybe that just bolsters the point about it not being a good nickname for the team, but I don't see the big deal.
Honestly, I'm sure a lot of it was that poll I made. KaiserNeko retweeted it, and it went pretty big. And, yeah, I got a huge earful from tons and tons and tons of people who were crazy about that term and livid that I should suggest anything different. As you can see in the video, it won by a landslide.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 am

Personally, I prefer Gokuu-tachi or Gokuu and friends. I'll even throw in Dragon Team on rare occasion but that's about it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/31/19!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:39 am

Dragon Ball Z's Four-Hour Movie - DBD TV: The Garlic Jr. Arc

We take a look at the filler arc so infamous it had to get its own episode. But it's really two stories in one. One's great, but the other is crap. And with that we wrap up the seventh annual Dragon Ball Dissection December. Thank you, everyone, so much for watching. I really, greatly appreciate it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm

I’ve always been pretty ambivalent towards the Garlic Jr. arc. Maybe part of the reason I don’t hate it so much is because I was pretty used to it being treated as an official part of the story back when the series aired on Toonami (Cartoon Network marathoned the arc a lot), but I’ve never hated the arc as much as a lot of other people have. Yeah, it’s obviously just there to buy the manga some time, and it gets pretty repetitive, but I do sort of like the horror vibes of the arc. The concept of the hero’s friends and family being brainwashed and turned against them is a good idea, and is one that we never got to see in the manga. I would say that GT handled the concept better than the Garlic Jr. arc, but it’s very interesting to see these guys being forced to fight people they care about.

Unfortunately, the aforementioned repetitiveness and general pointlessness of the arc prevents me from considering it to be a particularly good addition to the story. I suppose it is nice to see Kuririn get his chance in the limelight, and it is interesting that the arc chooses to focus on his love life, since the manga would give him an official love interest soon after, but that doesn’t really inform us of anything we didn’t already know.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:09 pm

Having heard a description of these episodes finally & filling in a lot of the gaps I had in my mind after only knowing that they're really bad, even for DBZ filler, I'm glad to see that I never need to actually watch these episodes. It all seems like Bleach-type filler where it's only for the anime & it's all really awful compared to the arcs adapting the manga's storylines. And THAT is something I don't have time for.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:54 pm

I like the Piccolo/Kami interactions, it helps build up for their assimilation in the next arc. Likewise for Gohan's triumph of the big bad.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 pm

Sumisawa Katsuyuki wrote #109-116 by himself while Matsui Aya (head writer of Dragon Ball GT #1-50 and Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon) wrote #117. I think the more subtle handling of Maron in #117 probably came from Matsui being, of course, a woman herself. Series Director Nishio Daisuke was only involved with storyboarding and directing Episode #117. This all makes me wonder if in part the lack of a unified vision was because Nishio wasn't around as much to help Sumisawa with the story. Then again, the schedule was probably in so much chaos at this point that the fights weren't going to be great no matter what. I do want to note that all of the storyboard artists did direct their own storyboards, though, so that means things weren't so bad that they had to split up the duties. Interestingly enough, speed-demon Yama'uchi Shigeyasu storyboarded and directed #109 and #114, right off of directing Crying Freeman Episode #4 in the same September 1991 that Dragon Ball Z Episode #109 aired in. I wonder how fast he can draw his storyboards, since he's often working multiple projects at the same time and will even storyboard and direct episodes of Dragon Ball Z just three episodes apart on occasion.

I wish you'd mentioned it here, too, but Chiba Shigeru voiced Garlic Junior in this arc. I wonder if Kamiya Akira--who voiced him in the film--was sick, busy or just didn't like the pay? It's a very interesting turn of events since Chiba rarely had a chance to return to Dragon Ball during this era of the franchise.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:27 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 pm I wish you'd mentioned it here, too, but Chiba Shigeru voiced Garlic Junior in this arc. I wonder if Kamiya Akira--who voiced him in the film--was sick, busy or just didn't like the pay? It's a very interesting turn of events since Chiba rarely had a chance to return to Dragon Ball during this era of the franchise.
Yeah, I'd always intended to, but I just never found a place for it in the script. Plus, it was getting pretty long anyway. Thank you, as always, for the production details!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:02 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:27 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 pm I wish you'd mentioned it here, too, but Chiba Shigeru voiced Garlic Junior in this arc. I wonder if Kamiya Akira--who voiced him in the film--was sick, busy or just didn't like the pay? It's a very interesting turn of events since Chiba rarely had a chance to return to Dragon Ball during this era of the franchise.
Yeah, I'd always intended to, but I just never found a place for it in the script. Plus, it was getting pretty long anyway. Thank you, as always, for the production details!
Ah, no problem. Sometimes these things just become overwhelming to figure out a good flow and all. ❤
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:53 pm

I just wanted to say that I found this series of videos on Youtube some time around the time you were covering part 7-8 of the Cell arc and have been greatly enjoying the series so far. I downloaded all the episodes (except the last 2-3 so far) to listen to like audio books on my bike ride to work every day and it's been a great experience. Thank you for making this series and keep up the great work. I look forward to watching the rest of this series as it unfolds.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Huge fan of this series, Gaffer you are easily my favorite DB related Youtuber out there.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm Huge fan of this series, Gaffer you are easily my favorite DB related Youtuber out there.
Yeah, and is one of the few who actually know anything about the series and doesn't base their analysis and speculation on the FUNimation dub script and other misconceptions.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:05 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm Huge fan of this series, Gaffer you are easily my favorite DB related Youtuber out there.
Metalwario64 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 pm Yeah, and is one of the few who actually know anything about the series and doesn't base their analysis and speculation on the FUNimation dub script and other misconceptions.
That's very kind of you both, and I'm sorry I missed this until now.

But speaking of now, presenting the 100th episode of Dragon Ball Dissection:

The Hero We Deserved - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 1!

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:05 am
Metalwario64 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 pm Yeah, and is one of the few who actually know anything about the series and doesn't base their analysis and speculation on the FUNimation dub script and other misconceptions.
That's very kind of you both, and I'm sorry I missed this until now.

But speaking of now, presenting the 100th episode of Dragon Ball Dissection:

The Hero We Deserved - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 1!
Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to cheer myself up with this pandemic going on. :mrgreen:
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/16/20!)

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:15 am

When I was a kid to now I was pretty much neutral to the idea of Great Saiyaman. But hearing it analyzed I do wonder why Toriyama pivoted, and if it was because it was unpopular, why he pivoted to the old, instead of pivoting to a new direction involving Gohan.

Its kind of weird, but I think it would be interesting if he had doubled down on superheroes while bringing in Babidi and his forces.