What do you expect from Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What do you expect from Broly?

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:42 am

Do you think he will become as relevant as Beerus, maybe even third main Saiyan of the future content...?

Or is his fate to just, well, just be around, without it meaning anything?

DBFanTalk

Re: What do you expect from Broly?

Post by DBFanTalk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm

The movie' ending suggest Goku wanted to continue sparring with Broly. An assumption is that they become friends, with Goku taking on a mentor role. Their training would be a build-up towards a potential re-match. It also creates the opportunity for Beerus/Whis to visit them on Vampa.

Broly is a fan-favourite character so it is likely he'll return. The character really needs to be fleshed out more however.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:47 pm

I expect him to continue living on his planet he so loves.

Surai

Post by Surai » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:26 pm

I don’t see the point of making a canon and good version (as opposed to his 1993 evil version) of the character if it’s just to let him rot in Vampa. So I think they will use him sooner or later in the story, as "the third main saiyan" indeed, since Gohan can no longer fill that role.

I doubt he will be as strong as Goku or Vegeta though. They will probably surpass him for good at some point, which will make him less relevant than the other two.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm

He's not gonna be the most relevant character in the crew. He'll show up every now and then, I think, but not all that often, since I don't think Toriyama/Toyotaro/Toei want to have Broly be used as a crutch whenever things get rough for the main heroes.
If you're familiar with Broly MADs, aka Japanese Broly memes, Toei may be interested in using Broly like those videos do; use him as the main character in gag-oriented filler episodes if the Super anime returns. I'd personally be okay with that approach, though the anime returning is a definite "if" at the moment.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:11 pm

Ideally more clapping buttcheeks gifs
Surai wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:26 pm I don’t see the point of making a canon and good version (as opposed to his 1993 evil version) of the character if it’s just to let him rot in Vampa. So I think they will use him sooner or later in the story, as "the third main saiyan" indeed, since Gohan can no longer fill that role.

I doubt he will be as strong as Goku or Vegeta though. They will probably surpass him for good at some point, which will make him less relevant than the other two.
I love how modern Dragonball is all about taking a massive dump on all the things people liked about the early years.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Surai

Post by Surai » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:19 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:11 pm Ideally more clapping buttcheeks gifs
Surai wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:26 pm I don’t see the point of making a canon and good version (as opposed to his 1993 evil version) of the character if it’s just to let him rot in Vampa. So I think they will use him sooner or later in the story, as "the third main saiyan" indeed, since Gohan can no longer fill that role.

I love how modern Dragonball is all about taking a massive dump on all the things people liked about the early years.
Are you talking about 1993 Broly ? Because I personally hate this Broly and find the new one much more interesting.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Just the early stuff in general. We're so far gone from Eastern mysticism and wuxia pastiche things are starting to look like a mid 2000s playbypost dragonball rpg board. Which is fine (I was part of those rpg boards) but it's so weird trying to pitch the current stuff to people who didn't become superfans back in the day.

"Wait, who's Broly?"
"He's the Legendary Super Saiyan."
"So... he has a tail?"
"Ha! Oh god no. Tails haven't been a thing in years."
"Oh... is Tenshinhan still around? He was pretty hot."
"Yeah he was part of a multiverse tournament where he got clowned by Roshi."
"Roshi's fighting again? And he's stronger than Tenshinhan? Didn;t he pass on the torch or something?"
"Yeah but that generation of fighters aside of Goku turned out to be a joke so he started training again."
"Tenshinhan's a joke????"
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pm

I guess he will get the Mr. Boo treatment and will help once in a while when his power is required.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pm

He can and he did in the Universe Survival arc.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Kagari wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Gohan has long been established as an unreliable fighter. He's barely a step up from the human jobbers at this point. Whatever potential the character had has been wasted and it's about time he's allowed to just be a husband and father

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 pm

I expect Broli to be a good boy all the men-loving-people among the fandom to fawn over. At the very least, I think Broli will find Baa again and have a reunion. I think he and Cheelai will have kids and we might see Broli fight alongside Gokuu and friends. I wanna see Broli smile!

She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:24 pm

A second vote for bouncing buttcheeks then! Hazaah!

Surai

Post by Surai » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:20 pm

Kagari wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pmHe can and he did in the Universe Survival arc.
Technically, yes. But it's becoming sillier and sillier since the guy never trains to get stronger while the enemies are stronger in each arc. It will make much more sense to eventually rely on Broly instead, since he's a pure blooded saiyan (which means he probably likes to fight) and he's way stronger than Gohan.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:18 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 pm
Kagari wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Gohan has long been established as an unreliable fighter. He's barely a step up from the human jobbers at this point. Whatever potential the character had has been wasted and it's about time he's allowed to just be a husband and father
How is he a "step up from the human jobbers" when he's on the level of the god tier fighters now? Toyotarou in particular seems to have kept him training throughout so it's certainly rash to say he's been "wasted" and should just sit on the sideline. That's not his character. He recently showed up just minutes after Piccolo was attacked to save him and fight Moro's men. He'll fight to protect regardless.
Surai wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:20 pm
Kagari wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pmHe can and he did in the Universe Survival arc.
Technically, yes. But it's becoming sillier and sillier since the guy never trains to get stronger while the enemies are stronger in each arc. It will make much more sense to eventually rely on Broly instead, since he's a pure blooded saiyan (which means he probably likes to fight) and he's way stronger than Gohan.
He's been training since Resurrection F in the anime and since the Trunks arc in the manga version.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 pm

Yes, Gohan is probably the most moral character in DB. Unfortunately he's also depicted as afraid of violence, likeliest to abandon training, and as far too normal a person for the world of dragon ball. I wish that weren't the case. Gohan was my favorite character when I was a teen. But the story is what it is. And it doesn't make sense to keep bringing Gohan back when alternatives exist.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:26 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 pm Yes, Gohan is probably the most moral character in DB. Unfortunately he's also depicted as afraid of violence, likeliest to abandon training, and as far too normal a person for the world of dragon ball. I wish that weren't the case. Gohan was my favorite character when I was a teen. But the story is what it is. And it doesn't make sense to keep bringing Gohan back when alternatives exist.
He's not afraid of violence. Where is this narrative coming from?

Surai

Post by Surai » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 am

Kagari wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:18 pmHe's been training since Resurrection F in the anime and since the Trunks arc in the manga version.
No, he does it occasionally and not very seriously. Otherwise he'd be the strongest character of DBS by far since he has the greatest potential.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:32 am

Surai wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 am
Kagari wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:18 pmHe's been training since Resurrection F in the anime and since the Trunks arc in the manga version.
No, he does it occasionally and not very seriously. Otherwise he'd be the strongest character of DBS by far since he has the greatest potential.
And yet it was the manga which made him ridiculously overpowered. Keeping in shape is still training regardless. He said he was going to do that and he is/has with the results putting him on the god levels without the need for god ki. That's all there is to it.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:05 am

Kagari wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:26 am He's not afraid of violence. Where is this narrative coming from?
More than any other character Gohan balks at going all out. Even when his back is against the wall and he's watching people dropping, he needs to be psyched up to actually go do something. Maybe it's not fear of violence. Maybe it's something else. But whatever the cause Gohan is consistently depicted as an unreliable fighter unable to set aside his own feelings towards fighting to actually stay useful beyond a few chapters of each arc.