How would you compare Dragon Ball’s revival to something like Star Wars?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How would you compare Dragon Ball’s revival to something like Star Wars?

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am
Kataphrut wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:38 am
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:36 am

You still read other comics besides marvel and dc like seriously? You don’t seem to be a comic reader there are other comics besides the big two like image comics,dark horse comics,valiant comics,idw publishing,and more.
Did you have a point?

I'm not a comic reader. I'm just saying that the revival era of Dragon Ball and Star Wars is no different to the endless serialisation of major superhero comic franchises, many of which predate them both. Doctor Who and Star Trek fall into this category as well. At a certain point, these franchises become too big to die, and will just keep going and going.
You kinda forgot about power rangers and kamen rider from japan
Yes I did. Because I'm not interested in them.

Again, are you going somewhere with this?

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:01 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:51 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:57 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:52 pm Star Wars really hasn't had a "revival" so to speak. It's always had new material whether it be TV shows, comic books or video games. Nonetheless, for the sake of comparison, with Disney acquiring Lucasfilm and it's safe to say that all the new content released from when that acquisition occurred (2012) has essentially been 100% Disney restarting the franchise. Taking that into regard, I think the only part of the Disney's Star Wars that's been worthwhile AND good has been the Darth Vader comic book series, The Last Jedi, The Mandalorian and Star Wars Rebels. Everything else has been a wash as far as I've been concerned.

Dragon Ball in a similar spot. There was yearly video games being released, some of which had their own unique material. But like Star Wars under Disney, there was specific point that marked Dragon Ball's resurgence in content: Battle Of Gods. That movie single-handedly kick-started Dragon Ball's revival. Taking that into account, it's been more good than bad compared to Disney's Star Wars, but there have been some HUGE stinkers produced during that time. Like, some of the worst material to ever be birthed from the franchise.

Honestly though, both franchises have been largely living off of nostalgia and should be retired.
Well any other stuff you enjoy besides those two?
You mean other franchises? Hell yeah. There are MANY other franchises I like.
Like what other franchise you liked name them all

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:02 am

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am

Did you have a point?

I'm not a comic reader. I'm just saying that the revival era of Dragon Ball and Star Wars is no different to the endless serialisation of major superhero comic franchises, many of which predate them both. Doctor Who and Star Trek fall into this category as well. At a certain point, these franchises become too big to die, and will just keep going and going.
You kinda forgot about power rangers and kamen rider from japan
Yes I did. Because I'm not interested in them.

Again, are you going somewhere with this?
Because there are four long running franchises you missed out it seems

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:34 am

Battle of Gods and RoF were amazing, but the beginning of Super started off bad. It ended on a high note though. Super: Broly was definitely the right way to end it, at least for the meantime until Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (since it'll have canon stories) and 2uper release.

Star Wars started off great with The Force Awakens, but the next two mainline films were awful and had no clear sense of direction. The last one, to me, felt like a Marvel movie and I never liked those movies other than Iron Man 1 and the Spidey films. Rogue One was, however, amazing but Solo was bland. If the future of Star Wars is anything like The Mandalorian then I have hope.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:34 am Battle of Gods and RoF were amazing, but the beginning of Super started off bad. It ended on a high note though. Super: Broly was definitely the right way to end it, at least for the meantime until Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (since it'll have canon stories) and 2uper release.

Star Wars started off great with The Force Awakens, but the next two mainline films were awful and had no clear sense of direction. The last one, to me, felt like a Marvel movie and I never liked those movies other than Iron Man 1 and the Spidey films. Rogue One was, however, amazing but Solo was bland. If the future of Star Wars is anything like The Mandalorian then I have hope.
How was Broly the right way to end Super?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:39 pm

The one thing about the sequel trilogy is the memes like palpatine getting laid like what?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:45 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:01 am
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:57 am

Well any other stuff you enjoy besides those two?
Batman, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Call Of Duty, The Witcher, The Adventures of Tintin, Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, James Bond, Mario, Harry Potter, One Piece, Middle-earth, Looney Tunes, Warcraft...

Just to name some of them off the top of my head

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:45 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:01 am
Batman, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Call Of Duty, The Witcher, The Adventures of Tintin, Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, James Bond, Mario, Harry Potter, One Piece, Middle-earth, Looney Tunes, Warcraft...

Just to name some of them off the top of my head
Oh cool I also enjoy Batman,spider-man and Jojo’s I also enjoy spawn and hellboy along with judge dredd and the tmnt.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:39 pm The one thing about the sequel trilogy is the memes like palpatine getting laid like what?
Thankfully we didn't get these kind of retcons from the other Disney Star Wars movies. Dragon Ball has done worse with Beerus though :(
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:12 pm

Another thing to think about regarding both franchise revivals, what used to be more or less come from a singular voice (I know the original trilogy had other writers but Lucas was HEAVILY involved in both coming up with the stories and even directing), now is being created by story groups. I'm not saying it's inherently a bad thing, just pointing it out.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:23 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:12 pm Another thing to think about regarding both franchise revivals, what used to be more or less come from a singular voice (I know the original trilogy had other writers but Lucas was HEAVILY involved in both coming up with the stories and even directing), now is being created by story groups. I'm not saying it's inherently a bad thing, just pointing it out.
Huh right now Star Wars and dragon ball are both group studios projects

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:03 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:39 pm The one thing about the sequel trilogy is the memes like palpatine getting laid like what?
Thankfully we didn't get these kind of retcons from the other Disney Star Wars movies. Dragon Ball has done worse with Beerus though :(
Yeah Ben solo is the virgin while palpatine is the chad who got laid

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 am Disney media frustratingly dominates the cultural conversation like nothing else so its hard for DB to compare which is pretty big by all metrics, but can't compete on that level cause sadly 'Merica and its media is still the centre of the world. Both do exploit nostalgia in the shallowest ways possible and some would argue DB sucks more from a craft perspective even, but the more important point is that it hasn't ruined mainstream anime like Disney has ruined mainstream Hollywood with SW, MCU and their remakes for me.
Agreed, I wish both of them would just end at this point. There's nowhere left for them to go and any attempts to make additions ruin what was already there before.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:15 am

Forgive me for the double posting, but I had to reply to this one as well.
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:36 am
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:59 am

And I just watched Rise of Skywalker and it's worse than anything Dragon Ball has put out over the last 20 years. So swings and roundabouts I guess.

Although to be fair, between TFA, TLJ, The Mandalorian and that new game that's apparently quite good, modern Star Wars probably has a balance of hits overall compared to modern Dragon Ball. And quality is subjective. I've always said that it's pointless lamenting the endless cycle of reviving nostalgia-driven properties. That's just the state of pop culture, and it's been that way for a while. Getting upset that we're getting new Dragon Ball and Star Wars is like getting upset that we're getting new Batman and Spider-man comics. All we can do is hope they're good and give them a miss when they aren't so good.
You still read other comics besides marvel and dc like seriously? You don’t seem to be a comic reader there are other comics besides the big two like image comics,dark horse comics,valiant comics,idw publishing,and more.
Did you have a point?

But unlike lots of those others they're not making new incarnations of the same characters or entirely different ones both in different timelines or universes, they're adding all this stuff to the very same timeline which it originally began from. And of course, as another poster here noted, it's accompanied by retcons galore.
DB however did include cool new stuff like the themes used in the 2nd half of Super.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:11 am

Well... the Star Wars revival exposed that there have been long standing faults in the Star Wars community. There are at least 3 factions; "those who like it because they think it's a cool setting and just want to see stories set in that universe" "those who like the skywalkers and just want to hear more about skywalkers" and "those who liked New Hope and Empire Strikes Back and have been trying to recapture that feeling for half a century." All of these factions seem to hold each other in contempt and each ones seems to think they're the true Star Wars community.

Dragon Ball meanwhile is kinda still just Dragon Ball but with even shoddier writing. We're all still talking about the same things, reading the same fan comics, and still complaining about the same plotholes. So I think Dragon Ball won this round easy.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:11 am Well... the Star Wars revival exposed that there have been long standing faults in the Star Wars community. There are at least 3 factions; "those who like it because they think it's a cool setting and just want to see stories set in that universe" "those who like the skywalkers and just want to hear more about skywalkers" and "those who liked New Hope and Empire Strikes Back and have been trying to recapture that feeling for half a century." All of these factions seem to hold each other in contempt and each ones seems to think they're the true Star Wars community.

Dragon Ball meanwhile is kinda still just Dragon Ball but with even shoddier writing. We're all still talking about the same things, reading the same fan comics, and still complaining about the same plotholes. So I think Dragon Ball won this round easy.
Sub vs. dub has always been a long standing fault line in the Western Dragon Ball community and that didn't really change with the revival. Some people had problems with the liberties Funimation took dubbing super. Granted it's not as bad as it is with the Z dub, but it's still there.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:35 am

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 am
PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:34 am Battle of Gods and RoF were amazing, but the beginning of Super started off bad. It ended on a high note though. Super: Broly was definitely the right way to end it, at least for the meantime until Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (since it'll have canon stories) and 2uper release.

How was Broly the right way to end Super?
It was a great film. It's really that simple.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:10 am

Man that bar for great keeps getting lower and lower. The naked fanservice and the lackluster fight are pretty damning.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Broly did really well for expectations.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:23 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:10 am Man that bar for great keeps getting lower and lower. The naked fanservice and the lackluster fight are pretty damning.
It's all subjective at the end of the day. What's great to one person is mediocre to another. Neither viewpoints are necessarily more valid as everyone has different experiences of art.

I happen to be in the camp who thought DBS Broly was great. Fanservicey? Sure, but the fanservice that was there added to the story enough for me to care. I thought the fights were pretty good, but I understand them not being for everyone.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: