Yet Another Dub Error

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Yet Another Dub Error

Post by PacificOceanDub » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:02 pm

I don’t know if this has been called out before, or if this error is exclusive to the 30th anniversary set. But I just watched Episode 75 - Password is Porunga with the Dub audio. There is a brief scene where we see the deceased heroes on King Kai’s planet, celebrating that the dragon has been summoned and they’re about to be wished back. Tien’s mouth is moving but there is absolutely no dialogue to accompany the movement. Does this go back to the Season BDs, Orange Bricks? Or is this just on the 30th set? Just curious.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Yet Another Dub Error

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:13 pm

In the Orange Bricks he says “At last we’ll have out lives back” something about the audio sounds off though or like the actor has a sore throat.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:41 pm

Didn't Tien have two different voice actors back then? One that did Season Three before the other guy? Maybe the redubbing process is responsible.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:04 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:41 pm Didn't Tien have two different voice actors back then? One that did Season Three before the other guy? Maybe the redubbing process is responsible.
I know that they initially had another VA as Tenshinhan/Tien in the OG Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes before John Burgmeier became his consistent dub voice not long after that point.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:10 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:41 pm Didn't Tien have two different voice actors back then? One that did Season Three before the other guy? Maybe the redubbing process is responsible.

Yes but it was definitely the second Tien in the line I described above

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:14 pm

Before John Burgmeier, there was Chris Cason. I could've sworn there was one other FUNi dub actor for Tenshinhan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:14 pm Before John Burgmeier, there was Chris Cason. I could've sworn there was one other FUNi dub actor for Tenshinhan.
I'm not sure if it's known which VA it was who played Ten/Tien besides the aforementioned two, and i know Cason also was/is the voice of Turtle (Umigame) and i believe has been Shu's voice in most all of his series and movie appearances since at least the original series' dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:36 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:14 pm Before John Burgmeier, there was Chris Cason. I could've sworn there was one other FUNi dub actor for Tenshinhan.
I'm not sure if it's known which VA it was who played Ten/Tien besides the aforementioned two, and i know Cason also was/is the voice of Turtle (Umigame) and i believe has been Shu's voice in most all of his series and movie appearances since at least the original series' dub.
Cason was the original voice of Mr. Popo in the FUNi dub, then it was Sabat, now it's Cason again.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:36 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 pm
Cason was the original voice of Mr. Popo in the FUNi dub, then it was Sabat, now it's Cason again.
Hmm, so that's another case where a role he previously played was recast though he ended up with it again later.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Yeah, I remember someone bringing up this error before in the 30th anniversary thread I believe. The season set BDs had the issue too I believe, but not the Orange Bricks. I know the season BDs had a missing title card as well, which is just insane.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:52 pm

I think the Season BDs have a few of these sorts of errors. And I seem to recall the OBs have a few instances like this too.

Essentially, the problem is that the Remastered dub required Funi to reassemble it from the original takes, and they didn't do a good job.
All voice filters (such as the one on Freeza form 3, or Yakon) should have been re-applied to match the original dub, but they failed to do this. They also used several incorrect takes, in a few cases used incorrect lines (sometimes they'd record a line one way, then decide to change it, and sometimes the Remastered dub used the wrong version)...

And there are a few cases where they're outright missing lines. Particularly lines that didn't have mouth movements accompanying them, but there are cases where the mouths were moving.

Similarly, they made a lot of mistakes when putting together the Faulconer score track version. Some people assume this was a deliberate rearrangement of the Team Faulconer score, but the reality is that they used unfinished, WIP versions of the score-only track when putting together the US score mixes.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:52 pm
Similarly, they made a lot of mistakes when putting together the Faulconer score track version. Some people assume this was a deliberate rearrangement of the Team Faulconer score, but the reality is that they used unfinished, WIP versions of the score-only track when putting together the US score mixes.
Yikes...as if I needed another reason not to watch the DBZ dub or listen to "broadcast" score again. It's honestly such a mess that hunting down the original singles might be the best way to watch it in that manner.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:52 pm
Yikes...as if I needed another reason not to watch the DBZ dub or listen to "broadcast" score again. It's honestly such a mess that hunting down the original singles might be the best way to watch it in that manner.
So wait, you're telling me that the crappy, sloppily-done, rushed to market Orange Bricks are technically not even FINISHED!?!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 pm So wait, you're telling me that the crappy, sloppily-done, rushed to market Orange Bricks are technically not even FINISHED!?!
Yep. They literally used unfinished production materials when assembling the "Remastered" dub. It's a shockingly bad job.
Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm Yikes...as if I needed another reason not to watch the DBZ dub or listen to "broadcast" score again. It's honestly such a mess that hunting down the original singles might be the best way to watch it in that manner.
Yeah.

You do have the right idea there, though; if anyone wants to seek out the original USA broadcast experience, the singles are the way to do it. It's the original dub, as it was originally produced in 1999-2002, uncut, with both the original English dub, and of course it contains the Japanese version subbed (though it's dub-only for Z episodes 1-53/1-67, since the singles of those episodes are the Saban dub and are dub-only; does also mean there's about 10 more minutes of Faulconer-scored OG Funi material that most people don't hear at all these days, since dub episode 53 stops half-way through uncut #67, so the DVD single version of episode 54 is like 31 minutes long so it immediately snaps into sync with uncut, and the TV version split its episodes up weirdly so it doesn't line up with uncut until like episode 58. The uncut redub of 1-67 did the entirety of #67, so you cut to the 1999 stuff at the start of uncut #68) and it's all in 4:3.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 pm So wait, you're telling me that the crappy, sloppily-done, rushed to market Orange Bricks are technically not even FINISHED!?!
Yep. They literally used unfinished production materials when assembling the "Remastered" dub. It's a shockingly bad job.
Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm Yikes...as if I needed another reason not to watch the DBZ dub or listen to "broadcast" score again. It's honestly such a mess that hunting down the original singles might be the best way to watch it in that manner.
Yeah.

You do have the right idea there, though; if anyone wants to seek out the original USA broadcast experience, the singles are the way to do it. It's the original dub, as it was originally produced in 1999-2002, uncut, with both the original English dub, and of course it contains the Japanese version subbed (though it's dub-only for Z episodes 1-53/1-67, since the singles of those episodes are the Saban dub and are dub-only; does also mean there's about 10 more minutes of Faulconer-scored OG Funi material that most people don't hear at all these days, since dub episode 53 stops half-way through uncut #67, so the DVD single version of episode 54 is like 31 minutes long so it immediately snaps into sync with uncut, and the TV version split its episodes up weirdly so it doesn't line up with uncut until like episode 58. The uncut redub of 1-67 did the entirety of #67, so you cut to the 1999 stuff at the start of uncut #68) and it's all in 4:3.
That's why labeling the Orange Brick and onward dub w/ U.S music track as the "broadcast track" has always never made sense to me, considering what's there is not what had previously been on those single DVD's or aired edited on Toonami from 1999 to 2003. Aside from the half assed nature of the partial re dub there's all those missing vocal effects and other things you mentioned above including some errors.

Given that, the singles are the only way to view the OG in house version of the dub amauturely acted and everything though it may be.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that occurs in the season sets as well because I remember I noticed it then too. heck, you should see how badly Cooler's Revenge US audio AND DUB! gets butchered compared to their original bilingual release. I really wished I wouldn't have lost my original comparison of the original US release vs the remastered of that movie but my hard drive died at that time and lost everything. But yeah, Funimation and Errors isn't uncommon. lol If I'm not mistaken the season sets has a missing title on one of the episodes haha

Edit - Just replying to the above response. I forgot about the voice filters for Android 19 and Boo I think? were removed. That's why I'm satisfied with what I have because it's never going to be perfect ever lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:37 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 pm If I'm not mistaken the season sets has a missing title on one of the episodes haha
Yep. Episode 164.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:44 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:37 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 pm If I'm not mistaken the season sets has a missing title on one of the episodes haha
Yep. Episode 164.
Haha Alright. Yeah, I knew it was one of em.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 pm

The problem with the Single DVDs is price and availability. At this point, some "Frieza" discs are low in availability, and stupidly expensive as a result (one is up to $60 on both Amazon and eBay!), so it can be a time-consuming and expensive endeavor at this point.

It's sad, because I've gotten really nostalgic for the dub again, and I never got more than two Frieza discs back when I collected them, so I'm screwed there regardless of losing a number of my singles (I still have most of the Cell Games ones, but those had redubbed Kelly anyway).

I guess I'm just stuck with the Bricks. At least I have a separate nostalgia for them at this point, regardless of how much of a poor product it is.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 pm The problem with the Single DVDs is price and availability. At this point, some "Frieza" discs are low in availability, and stupidly expensive as a result (one is up to $60 on both Amazon and eBay!), so it can be a time-consuming and expensive endeavor at this point.

It's sad, because I've gotten really nostalgic for the dub again, and I never got more than two Frieza discs back when I collected them, so I'm screwed there regardless of losing a number of my singles (I still have most of the Cell Games ones, but those had redubbed Kelly anyway).

I guess I'm just stuck with the Bricks. At least I have a separate nostalgia for them at this point, regardless of how much of a poor product it is.
I don't know if you want too or not but why not upgrade to the Season sets on bluray? In my opinion they a lot better than the orange bricks buuuut I understand not wanting to support another cropped up release and lord only knows how much the 4x3 sets are going for by scalpers. I actually didn't know the older DVDs were getting expensive I would have sold em cheap to you because I own so many different releases
#1 Paikuhan fan!