Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 pm

How long has this Majin story arc has been going for? The series started nearly 12 years ago and still has gone nowhere.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 pm How long has this Majin story arc has been going for? The series started nearly 12 years ago and still has gone nowhere.
A little over 2 years. 2017-08-19.

Note that the original Dragonball manga had arcs that were about 2 years long and that was with Toriyama drawing as a full-time job every week, meaning he was working at least 3 times as much as Asura and Salagir.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 am

I still think Salagir could have found more than one person to work on the main story.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 am I still think Salagir could have found more than one person to work on the main story.
I understand people want to see more of the story but Salagir has already considered that most likely to avoid Asura getting burned out. It has been stated multiple times that it's difficult finding artists to draw specials in their own style at their own pace so drawing close enough to Toriyama's style and keeping to a schedule would be even more difficult.

To be honest, this applies to all projects in the fan works section. A lot of them are abandoned over time because the writers lose interest or get too busy with their lives. If they could easily find more people to help for free so they could finish their projects faster, I'm sure most of them would jump at that opportunity.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 pm How long has this Majin story arc has been going for? The series started nearly 12 years ago and still has gone nowhere.
The premise is a tournament. What exactly did you expect that you aren't getting? And, if the tournament continues, we'll be in the quarterfinals, in a tournament that had originally 64 fighters. That's not bad, in my humble opinion.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:30 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 am I still think Salagir could have found more than one person to work on the main story.
I understand people want to see more of the story but Salagir has already considered that most likely to avoid Asura getting burned out. It has been stated multiple times that it's difficult finding artists to draw specials in their own style at their own pace so drawing close enough to Toriyama's style and keeping to a schedule would be even more difficult.

To be honest, this applies to all projects in the fan works section. A lot of them are abandoned over time because the writers lose interest or get too busy with their lives. If they could easily find more people to help for free so they could finish their projects faster, I'm sure most of them would jump at that opportunity.
That's what I'm getting out. I don't think people would get that upset if every chapter didn't look exactly like Toriyama's style. Just mention that he's looking for 2 to 3 more artist to help out and have them send in work to see if they can handle multiverse. In a dream world Gogeta Jr and Asura could be the main artist but I don't anyone would complain if the main story moved faster as long as it was good artwork.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 am

Those statues must carry some of Bra's energy signature.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:30 pmThat's what I'm getting out. I don't think people would get that upset if every chapter didn't look exactly like Toriyama's style. Just mention that he's looking for 2 to 3 more artist to help out and have them send in work to see if they can handle multiverse. In a dream world Gogeta Jr and Asura could be the main artist but I don't anyone would complain if the main story moved faster as long as it was good artwork.
I agree and wouldn't mind having a few different artists working on the main story. After Gogeta Jr left, a few artists drew one chapter each until Asura joined. From my understanding, they only wanted to help out until a permanent artist was found. If those artists were willing, I don't think Salagir would be against alternating between a few different artists for the main story. I just meant that it was an obvious solution that he has already considered but doesn't have the means for it.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 am

FoolsGil wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 pm
The premise is a tournament. What exactly did you expect that you aren't getting? And, if the tournament continues, we'll be in the quarterfinals, in a tournament that had originally 64 fighters. That's not bad, in my humble opinion.
Yeah i've been confused by that as well, i've seen people come through asking "When is this filler arc over?" and i'm just like "What?" the tournament is the main story, even if you're writing things off in your mind like "Everything is gonna be back to normal anyway, so just get to the True Big Bad of the tournament", there still has to be some type of build up to it and ofr a tournament of this size, there has to be time for other things to be explored, even if briefly. Plus I dont think Salagir has mentioned wanting to tell a story past this Multiversal Tournament anyway unless i'm mistaken.

The whole premise of the comic is to just have a bunch of "What-If" stuff clash with each other and we're getting just that.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 am

Seriously, the critics are far too harsh.

This is not a weekly comic from Toriyama doing it for his career. When Toriyama got sick and couldn't work......he still got up and worked. He didn't have other artists at Bird Studio to hand off things too. Yes, he had Bird staff members helping, but that was shading and touching up his original art and writing. Toriyama worked himself to the bone every single week.

For example: Chapter 2.

It is legally readable online, put up by VIZ itself, right to left:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-b ... ction=read

That's 15 pages of Toriyama (black and white) art and writing. That was done in a week, or possibly 6 days to give printing time. That comes down to about 2-3 pages a day EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR 12+ YEARS.

He has said in interviews, his drawing schedule "At its worst, I’d be up all night for four days, sleep for 20 minutes, then be up three more days." That was probably slightly easier switching from Dr. Slump to Dragonball as it could keep going on without a resolution in story.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... interview/

So for Saligir and Asura and the team? If they are doing, FOR FREE, 3 pages a WEEK?

They're already working extremely hard and deserve immense respect. Even if you hate the storyline right now, you must respect the work ethic they have for a project they do just for the fans.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 pm

Brikikoz wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 am Seriously, the critics are far too harsh.

This is not a weekly comic from Toriyama doing it for his career. When Toriyama got sick and couldn't work......he still got up and worked. He didn't have other artists at Bird Studio to hand off things too. Yes, he had Bird staff members helping, but that was shading and touching up his original art and writing. Toriyama worked himself to the bone every single week.

That's 15 pages of Toriyama (black and white) art and writing. That was done in a week, or possibly 6 days to give printing time. That comes down to about 2-3 pages a day EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR 12+ YEARS.

He has said in interviews, his drawing schedule "At its worst, I’d be up all night for four days, sleep for 20 minutes, then be up three more days." That was probably slightly easier switching from Dr. Slump to Dragonball as it could keep going on without a resolution in story.

So for Saligir and Asura and the team? If they are doing, FOR FREE, 3 pages a WEEK?

They're already working extremely hard and deserve immense respect. Even if you hate the storyline right now, you must respect the work ethic they have for a project they do just for the fans.
No doubt there is harsh criticism, but I'm quite sure there is constructive criticism as well.You know, the kind that will point out parts that could use some work and helpful hints for other parts? Yeah.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:24 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 pm
Brikikoz wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 am Seriously, the critics are far too harsh.

No doubt there is harsh criticism, but I'm quite sure there is constructive criticism as well.You know, the kind that will point out parts that could use some work and helpful hints for other parts? Yeah.
The trouble is, does Sal even read this thread anymore?
If the constructive stuff is even fair and good, if it's not getting heard it's only purpose is to be a downer to the people who are hapllessly enjoying it. So I'm skeptical it's worth it...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Jackalope89 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 pm No doubt there is harsh criticism, but I'm quite sure there is constructive criticism as well.You know, the kind that will point out parts that could use some work and helpful hints for other parts? Yeah.
TobyS wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:24 am The trouble is, does Sal even read this thread anymore?
If the constructive stuff is even fair and good, if it's not getting heard it's only purpose is to be a downer to the people who are hapllessly enjoying it. So I'm skeptical it's worth it...
I doubt Salagir or Asura reads this thread. They have TWO different forums on their own website to maintain; the daily comments section and their open forum. So all the complaining doesn't actually reach the authors...so it's just sort of excessive negativity in the wrong place...their forum is here:

http://dbmenglish.freeforums.net/

Here's the combined banner (right click for big):

RIP Nedwook.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Really can't wait to see Bra get what she deserves. I'd prefer for her to die but I know Vegito is gonna intervene and stop the final blow somehow.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Is that a new transformation? Hard to see in black and white :P

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm

Marco Polo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:39 pm Is that a new transformation? Hard to see in black and white :P
Looks like Mystic Gohan, since his hair isn't changing.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 am

Brikikoz wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm
Marco Polo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:39 pm Is that a new transformation? Hard to see in black and white :P
His eyes don’t seem to be black though.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 am
Brikikoz wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm
His eyes don’t seem to be black though.
And DB Multiverse doesn't treat Ultimate as a distinct form that Gohan goes in and out of

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 pm

Could be just dramatic effect, Salagir seems to adhere to the old notion that once Gohan tapped into his unlocked potential, he cant get any stronger or weaker even if he doesnt train another day in his life.

Btw Bra kicking Cell in half, literally treating him like how his sons got treated is a fucking awesome moment, say what you will about DBM but I love that this fan manga is full of fun moments like this!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 am His eyes don’t seem to be black though.
Good point. Here's larger and better quality pics.

Looking more closely, we have:

SSJ Lighter eyes
SS2 Lightning
Mystic hair

Might just be Asura taking artistic liberties.
goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 pm Could be just dramatic effect, Salagir seems to adhere to the old notion that once Gohan tapped into his unlocked potential, he cant get any stronger or weaker even if he doesnt train another day in his life.

Btw Bra kicking Cell in half, literally treating him like how his sons got treated is a fucking awesome moment, say what you will about DBM but I love that this fan manga is full of fun moments like this!
Also, Cell probably doesn't care much but Nedwook just saved his life since Bra was going for a vaporizing energy blast thread.