"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Quebaz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 am

Fusions isn't a fighting game, neither is this. I don't even know where the comparison came from.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:51 am

So, the Season Pass is up for purchase at last on PSN, and it lists 'two original episodes, and a new story'. Only time will tell of course, but I have two different theories on for how this could go.

1) The two original episodes are essentially the Bardock and Trunks TV specials. Bardock's episode will of course add Bardock as a playable character, possibly with Gine as a support character, and will probably detail the last days of Planet Vegeta in a manner that essentially combines the original TV special and Minus even further than has been done thus far; Trunks' episode will show the fall of the Z fighters against the Androids and the rise of Trunks preparing to go back to the past, likely adding Future Gohan as a playable character and a 'young' Future Trunks as a support character. This likely then leaves the 'new story' as something to be done with the End of Z, adding Oob as either a playable or support character, and showcasing something that happens during Goku's training of the young boy.

Honestly, this'd be my preferred result. But the second theory is probably the more likely one -

1) The two original episodes will be based around Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F', since those storylines were originally introduced as 'Z' films rather than in Super. The Battle of Gods one will add a Super Saiyan God transformation for Goku; the Resurrection 'F' one will add Super Saiyan Blue for both Goku and Vegeta, Gohan's tracksuit look for playing as him briefly, and maybe Jaco as a support character? Under this scenario, I'm not entirely sure what the 'new story' could be. Maybe Goku and Vegeta finally having a rematch with Beerus, or something?

The second option is more likely (especially with Beerus and Whis being mentioned in game files apparently), and it'll be fun too, but again, I think I'd actually prefer the former.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:09 am

Question, i ve heard regular PS4 version have terrible loading times, how PC/Steam version is in that regard?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am

Jumping in with input.
Played 4 hours on steam last night. I have a top tier pc built in 2016 with SSD and high end nvidia card and 16gb ram.
I read all of the xbox/ps4 reviews about loading times and can tell you it is VERY reasonable on a good pc. Not bad at all.

It was a similar complain with jedi fallen order with long loads on console and not bad at all on steam.

Btw, LOVING the game!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am

Launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjUwqz06CRs

"I am the Super Saiyan, SON GOKU!" Schemmel's delivery of that line is just PERFECT! Even better than how he did it in Kai. Just in case if anyone actually thought the nostalgia trailer with Kyle Hebert narrating thought that they were gonna use the original Z dub scripts as the basis for this game's dub.

Also, is that Cris Ayres, or Daman Mills? I can't tell. Probably Daman, since Chris recently had his lung replacement surgery.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 am

It's Mills. I watched one of those streams that showed up before release date and at the end of a main episode (in this case the Freeza arc) they show up voice actor credits during the last cutscene and Freeza's are Nakao and Mills.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:10 pm

omegalucas wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 am It's Mills. I watched one of those streams that showed up before release date and at the end of a main episode (in this case the Freeza arc) they show up voice actor credits during the last cutscene and Freeza's are Nakao and Mills.
Ah, cool. Yeah, that's about what I expected. His impression of Ayres is virtually uncanny, though. He's really come so far since his first mixed-at-best takes back in 2017 in Super. Good on him.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:51 am The second option is more likely (especially with Beerus and Whis being mentioned in game files apparently), and it'll be fun too, but again, I think I'd actually prefer the former.
Bardock is referenced too.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:55 pm

How's Kakarot in comparison to the Legacy of Goku series?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:42 pm

I've heard some people say the game's a bit on the easy side.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm

I’m really hoping the DLC is Bardock/Trunks specials and End of Z, have we ever gotten End of Z properly in a game besides Goku’s gi as a costume?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 pmBardock is referenced too.
Where?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11 pm Bad news, folks. The game retconned Piccolo destroying the moon in the Saiyan arc:
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 pm... Sorry for the rant. I have very strong feelings on this. :lol:
I understand your grievances. I just think that Dragon Ball games should focus on developing a unique combat system first and then focus on everything else later.
That breaks the science within the show. It isn't the moon itself that is fueling the transformation but the solar energy converting into Blutz waves & then being absorbed by the Saiyan to fuel the transformation. This would imply that Gohan somehow detransformed while still being bombarded with those same waves. I hopes this game isn't gonna break the story like Shadow of War did for LOTR.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Some interesting notes about the voice cast in case anyone is wondering.

-Daman Mills is Frieza in this, not Chris Ayres, despite the latter finishing his work on Super. Chris's condition is very on-off these days, I think.
-Bryan Massey is Oolong again, much like in the final arc of Super. I guess Jackson isn't available anymore?
-Despite being involved in some of that stuff that went down last year, Chuck Huber is still Pilaf and 17. He also reprises Master Shen for the first time since the original series finished in 2003.
-Duncan Brannan is still Babidi. He's not very active these days, so I was wondering if they'd get him back or not.
-Meredith McCoy reprises Launch for the first time since the Saiyan arc filler in 2005. She was already 18, but still neat.
-Bill Townsley is still Cui. This guy hasn't done anything since the last time he was Cui in Ultimate Tenkaichi in 2011.
-Andrew Chandler is still Spopovich. He's had several of his roles recast in other shows like Magical Index and Fairy Tail, so it's nice to see him back now.
-J. Michael Tatum reprises Bora from The Final Chapters, even though Dameon Clarke is still Cell in the game. This is probably for the best...
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 pm

I’ve noticed Eric Vale is very likely not the Tournament announcer. I’m still only on the Saiyan Saga (I like flying around a lot lol) but the times I’ve found him he sounds different from the little voice clips you hear when talking to NPCs.

Son Videl

Post by Son Videl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Was hesitant on getting the game then found a great deal on cdkeys which was $20 cheaper than buying directly from steam so I'm downloading the game now.

I have been out of the Dragon Ball universe for a long time so this game is actually going to be pretty fresh for me. I haven't played a proper Dragon Ball game since Budokai 3. I played all the legacy of goku games growing up so a proper Dragon Ball RPG is definitely my thing. Reviews pretty much say it's a great experience if you're a hardcore fans but with obvious gameplay flaws. It's an anime game so a 7-8/10 should be a really good experience as a large portion of the fun comes from simply being a fan of the series. I was hoping this game would break barriers and be a solid 8+ game on its own merits but at least it wasn't considered a mess.

Debating on whether I should play the game in English or Japanese. I grew up with the English like most people here but switched over to the Japanese many years ago for the authentic experience/translation.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:19 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am Jumping in with input.
Played 4 hours on steam last night. I have a top tier pc built in 2016 with SSD and high end nvidia card and 16gb ram.
I read all of the xbox/ps4 reviews about loading times and can tell you it is VERY reasonable on a good pc. Not bad at all.

It was a similar complain with jedi fallen order with long loads on console and not bad at all on steam.

Btw, LOVING the game!
Thank you very much :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:28 pm Some interesting notes about the voice cast in case anyone is wondering.

-Daman Mills is Frieza in this, not Chris Ayres, despite the latter finishing his work on Super. Chris's condition is very on-off these days, I think.
-Bryan Massey is Oolong again, much like in the final arc of Super. I guess Jackson isn't available anymore?
-Despite being involved in some of that stuff that went down last year, Chuck Huber is still Pilaf and 17. He also reprises Master Shen for the first time since the original series finished in 2003.
-Duncan Brannan is still Babidi. He's not very active these days, so I was wondering if they'd get him back or not.
-Meredith McCoy reprises Launch for the first time since the Saiyan arc filler in 2005. She was already 18, but still neat.
-Bill Townsley is still Cui. This guy hasn't done anything since the last time he was Cui in Ultimate Tenkaichi in 2011.
-Andrew Chandler is still Spopovich. He's had several of his roles recast in other shows like Magical Index and Fairy Tail, so it's nice to see him back now.
-J. Michael Tatum reprises Bora from The Final Chapters, even though Dameon Clarke is still Cell in the game. This is probably for the best...
Cool to hear, thank God Clinkbeard as 18 seems to be over with.

I liked that Japanese was the default language setting. Might do 2 run through now.

I'm loving the game BTW, what you experience in contrast to past games has been amazing. I think this is a great realization of the next Gen dbz free roam game people wanted. Some small things have annoyed me like goku not removing his boots and such for the raditz fight but apart from that it's been pretty Damm good. Added scenes have been fun so far as well.

I mostly came here to discuss a point about Raditz now. With how Super Broly changed the Canon, what should raditz know about goku being sent to earth. Seeing as he was no longer sent by whoever sends off saiyan babies to planets for Frieza and was now sent by bardock as a rescue mission sort of thing. This really confuses now haha. Damn you super broly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:55 pm

nato25 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 pm Cool to hear, thank God Clinkbeard as 18 seems to be over with.

I liked that Japanese was the default language setting. Might do 2 run through now.

I'm loving the game BTW, what you experience in contrast to past games has been amazing. I think this is a great realization of the next Gen dbz free roam game people wanted. Some small things have annoyed me like goku not removing his boots and such for the raditz fight but apart from that it's been pretty Damm good. Added scenes have been fun so far as well.

I mostly came here to discuss a point about Raditz now. With how Super Broly changed the Canon, what should raditz know about goku being sent to earth. Seeing as he was no longer sent by whoever sends off saiyan babies to planets for Frieza and was now sent by bardock as a rescue mission sort of thing. This really confuses now haha. Damn you super broly.
Clinkenbeard was only 18 in Kai. McCoy stepped back into the role from Battle of Gods on. They only had Colleen play 18 in TFC for vocal consistency, otherwise it's been McCoy from 2013 on.

Good to know the game's defaulted to Japanese. I have no idea why it would be for the English release, but FighterZ was too, so...shrug.

For Raditz, why would that have changed for his reasoning as to why Goku was sent to Earth? He had no idea why Goku was sent off planet & we didn't know how long it had been since he talked to his parents last since he was off-world. If that's the default reason to sent a Saiyan kid to another planet, since HE & Vegeta were off planet doing what they were doing, it makes perfect sense for him to assume Goku was also sent to Earth for that reason, dude. No records were kept since Vegeta was blown up, so I think you're being confused for no reason.