"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm
Michsi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 am mind how poorly Toei and Bandai Namco treat their most profitable franchise.
Like it's been already stated, DBS merch sales are at an all time high without there being a series -> this is an ideal business situation. Max profit, minimal cost. Now they can focus on their other IPs like Digimon in order to increase merch sales there too.

We could maybe see a series once sales figures start dropping considerably.

Stop buying toys, guys!

Merchandise sales are not an all time high. If anything if you follow figures sales they aren’t doing as good as they were when new material was coming out. The last figures that did really well were UI Goku when he first came out and movie stuff especially FP Broly. But now they are stuck in a rut of releasing the same stuff over and over. In fact you can see they aren’t selling as well because figure prices tend to go way down in value on the after market.

What is making the most money for Dragon Ball is video games and mobile game sales. Dokkan, Legends, Fighterz and I am sure DBZ Kakarot will do well. That is why the franchise is so profitable.

I assume SDBH trading card makes money too but I don’t know as much about sales figures for that.

Those count too. I didn't split up the sum, I just recall the chart that came out a couple of months ago. I think Baggie even confirmed that sales are doing way better than they should considering there is no series.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:20 pm

Michsi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm
Michsi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Like it's been already stated, DBS merch sales are at an all time high without there being a series -> this is an ideal business situation. Max profit, minimal cost. Now they can focus on their other IPs like Digimon in order to increase merch sales there too.

We could maybe see a series once sales figures start dropping considerably.

Stop buying toys, guys!

Merchandise sales are not an all time high. If anything if you follow figures sales they aren’t doing as good as they were when new material was coming out. The last figures that did really well were UI Goku when he first came out and movie stuff especially FP Broly. But now they are stuck in a rut of releasing the same stuff over and over. In fact you can see they aren’t selling as well because figure prices tend to go way down in value on the after market.

What is making the most money for Dragon Ball is video games and mobile game sales. Dokkan, Legends, Fighterz and I am sure DBZ Kakarot will do well. That is why the franchise is so profitable.

I assume SDBH trading card makes money too but I don’t know as much about sales figures for that.

Those count too. I didn't split up the sum, I just recall the chart that came out a couple of months ago. I think Baggie even confirmed that sales are doing way better than they should considering there is no series.
My point isn’t that they were doing badly just that there hasn’t been any real big hits at least with figure merchandise in awhile.

Granted I think more variety in figures can be created with older material but Bandai just doesn’t seem interested in doing that.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:20 pm

My point isn’t that they were doing badly just that there hasn’t been any real big hits at least with figure merchandise in awhile.

Granted I think more variety in figures can be created with older material but Bandai just doesn’t seem interested in doing that.
I don't know what counts as big hits with figures, but there's way more than that when considering merchandise. It might not even be actual toys. Pen-holders, t-shirts, sticker, various cards, slippers- anything with the DB logo. What counts is the over all sum I reckon.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Michsi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm

I don't know what counts as big hits with figures, but there's way more than that when considering merchandise. It might not even be actual toys. Pen-holders, t-shirts, sticker, various cards, slippers- anything with the DB logo. What counts is the over all sum I reckon.

I do know that but there actually doesn’t seem as much of that coming out either.

I still assume DB will be Toei and Bandai Namco’s most profitable franchise in 2020 but I wonder how long that will last with nothing new coming out for the franchise.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:37 pm

My friend that knows japanese told me the digimon series is going to be 5min episodes.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm

I do know that but there actually doesn’t seem as much of that coming out either.

I still assume DB will be Toei and Bandai Namco’s most profitable franchise in 2020 but I wonder how long that will last with nothing new coming out for the franchise.
Yeah, but until we see that dip in sales I don't know if they would have any incentive to start the costly process of animating a weekly series. Again, I can't remember if the 2019 numbers were as big as the 2018 numbers, but they were still big and took up the largest portion of the pie chart iIrc (didn't it surpass OP again?).

And even then, things seem to point towards movie as the preferred medium, not a TV show.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm

DBS isn't returning and new Digimon Adventure series is coming? I don't even know what makes me more happy.
DIgimon was always a great series, but Digimon Adventure was a masterpiece.

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Michsi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Yeah, but until we see that dip in sales I don't know if they would have any incentive to start the costly process of animating a weekly series. Again, I can't remember if the 2019 numbers were as big as the 2018 numbers, but they were still big and took up the largest portion of the pie chart iIrc (didn't it surpass OP again?).

And even then, things seem to point towards movie as the preferred medium, not a TV show.

Personally I’d be fine with a movie too. It’s just the lack of any news (except vague comments) that is killing me.

I am fine with waiting I just want something concrete to look forward to

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm

my friend says that he read the digimon series will just 5min episodes

source: https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/119439

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:56 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm my friend says that he read the digimon series will just 5min episodes

That's not the same thing. What's your friend talking about is some mini OAV for the Blu Ray.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:29 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:56 pm
YamiGoku wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm my friend says that he read the digimon series will just 5min episodes

That's not the same thing. What's your friend talking about is some mini OAV for the Blu Ray.
sorry, I told my friend if he was sure and he told me he was, and now he is telling me he was wrong.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:44 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:29 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:56 pm

sorry, I told my friend if he was sure and he told me he was, and now he is telling me he was wrong.
Yeah those short episodes are just made for upcoming movie where everyone is adult while this new series is going to take place somewhere after original series where they were still a kids.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Alruneia wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:23 am I honestly wish I wasn't a fan of Dragon Ball with this news. It's so painful to have waited two years, and now we'll have to wait for at least four more course? How long is a cours ? What the heck is Toei doing? I don't understand this at all! I want to know the reason! It doesn't seem to make sense at all!
A cour is a quarter of a year. They're split up as January-March, April-June, July-September and October-December.
As for Toei's reasoning, I'd also like to know their underlying reason for not making more Super anime, whether it's a financial thing, it's a staffing thing, it's a no-go from Toriyama, or it's something else entirely. I don't really care if it's a good or a bad reason, I'd just like to hear some reason.
Thanks for the clarification. I too would like to hear the reason. One year from when Digimon theoretically would end would would be a pretty good timing after the next movie tough, I guess? If there's no new show in one year either, then it really must be Toriyama pulling the plug. I hope it's not that.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm DBS isn't returning and new Digimon Adventure series is coming? I don't even know what makes me more happy.
DIgimon was always a great series, but Digimon Adventure was a masterpiece.

I honestly can't stand Digimon.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:55 am

So Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi will be the character designer of new Digimon series.
And we were cursed with Yamamuro for Dragon Ball Super. :x

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm

So My Hero Academia just announced a new movie every year along with the ongoing series

I’d be fine with something like that even without a series but Toei seems happy to let Dragon Ball just languish.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm So My Hero Academia just announced a new movie every year along with the ongoing series

I’d be fine with something like that even without a series but Toei seems happy to let Dragon Ball just languish.
The main difference between the 2 franchises is that DB is making so much money without an ongoing series and yearly movies that Toei may not feel the need to rush anything out. There's also the fact that MHA has a manga with a lot more material to adapt from compared to Super.

Super already has a new movie in early development and the show will more than likely return once the Moro arc wraps up so we'll eventually get new content, it's just going to take more time than we'd like.
Sani007 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:55 am So Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi will be the character designer of new Digimon series.
And we were cursed with Yamamuro for Dragon Ball Super. :x
Life isn't fair. :cry: On the bright side, we at least have Shintani now. :D

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:38 pm
Kinokima wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm So My Hero Academia just announced a new movie every year along with the ongoing series

The main difference between the 2 franchises is that DB is making so much money without an ongoing series and yearly movies that Toei may not feel the need to rush anything out. There's also the fact that MHA has a manga with a lot more material to adapt from compared to Super.

Super already has a new movie in early development and the show will more than likely return once the Moro arc wraps up so we'll eventually get new content, it's just going to take more time than we'd like.

MHA definitely doesn’t have enough material in the manga for a movie a year plus TV series.

Yes Dragon Ball makes a lot of money but that upward surge came from new material. Letting your top property languish bc it makes money is stupid. They never let One Piece languish. Just shows the difference how they treat two of their big properties.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Should be noted that Asanuma is the chief animation supervisor, too. This means Nakatsuru isn't even going to be heavily involved, just like all of the other series he designed for.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:46 pm
MHA definitely doesn’t have enough material in the manga for a movie a year plus TV series.

Yes Dragon Ball makes a lot of money but that upward surge came from new material. Letting your top property languish bc it makes money is stupid. They never let One Piece languish. Just shows the difference how they treat two of their big properties.
MHA's movies aren't adapted from the manga and the anime's seasonal format allows the manga to build up material for it.

One Piece has a weekly manga, DB doesn't. What I suspect the plan may be is to turn DB into a seasonal anime that adapts manga arcs as they conclude. By the time the Moro arc finishes, it'll have enough material for a 50 episode season.

If I were in charge of the franchise I would've released a Kai version of the original DB to make the wait easier for Super 2.0.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:25 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Yeah those short episodes are just made for upcoming movie where everyone is adult while this new series is going to take place somewhere after original series where they were still a kids.
Oh so its a new series? I thought it was a remake. Thats even better!