"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:07 pm
EXBadguy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 pm So wishing the games to stop retelling the same story and twist things up and/or do a original story is considered "gatekeeping" now?
It is if you're demanding that the games never revisit the classic story again. Not everyone plays all the games and we shouldn't bar new or future fans from getting their chance to play through the story just because some of us have been religiously playing the games since 2001.
Well there are many other games that have the same retelling. None of those games tell the story perfectly, and hell, from what I've seen, not even this one, despite its nigh faithfulness!

Listen, nobody's "demanding" anything, some people are just annoyed that we're going through the Saiyan to Buu story again becuz this is a step back compared to what we've been getting with the Xenoverse series and Fighterz, last 5 1/2 years. Say whatever you want about those three games and their stories, but I consider that to be progress for DB games, and it probably gained new fans too. I don't wish this game to fail, but..IF this game doesn't end up being as successful as the last three games were, then I won't be surprised, becuz it is rehash! Why do you think most of the seventh generation DBZ games flopped, huh?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:56 am

EXBadguy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 am , becuz it is rehash! Why do you think most of the seventh generation DBZ games flopped, huh?
They sold like shit because everyone expected the next gen consoles to essentially be Budokai 4 and Tenkaichi 4 with no regards to how much more time and money it would have taken to go into remaking those games on the then new and more difficult hardware. I was around on game forums back then and very much remember how much people complained and what the main complaints were.

Burst Limit: "It only goes up to Cell?!"

Raging Blast was that more than half the roster had been cut and the gameplay "casualized."

Raging Blast 2 was the lack of a story and the fact that it STILL didn't have the same roster size as BT3. It being ugly as sin didn't help.

Ultimate Tenkaichi was, again, Rock Paper Scissors the game.

Battle of Z was advertised as an always online 3v3 MP game and the first game to not feature any local multiplayer or 1v1 combat.

The games bombed because BT3 set an unrealistically high bar of expectations for DBZ games that none of them could reach. No one back then was complaining that the stories were rehashes, just that they weren't as good as the PS2 games.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:09 am

Some people didn't like Xenoverse's gameplay but those two games still sold way more than all of those games combined, even BT3. And you wanna know why? Cuz they offered a lot of new shit, things that the seventh generation games lacked. And it ain't just about the story.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 am

EXBadguy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:09 am Some people didn't like Xenoverse's gameplay but those two games still sold way more than all of those games combined, even BT3. And you wanna know why? Cuz they offered a lot of new shit, things that the seventh generation games lacked. And it ain't just about the story.
And yet they were made for fans of the franchise who knew the story in & out to get the cheeky references & understand the context around each mission & level, just like the Budokai games, only more like Tenkaichi. Let's face it, there's both pros & cons to each of these games. Play Xenoverse & you'll be playing a game made for fans. Play Budokai & you'll get a game made for fans. Play Tenkaichi & you'll get a game newbies can play, but only veteran fans will fully appreciate. Play Kakarot & you'll get something more welcoming to newbies. Sure, only fans can appreciate the references to other stuff, but they have a better chance at understanding the context of everything in the story with the time allotted to the game to tell the story.

Not only that, but it's not like Bandai Namco are going to just start throwing out game after game that just rehashes the same old story. FighterZ is doing incredibly in the fighting game & esports scenes & has ushered in new fans who wouldn't have thought about DB if not for that game introducing them to the franchise. Bamco have at least one DB game coming out a year every year. Within the next year or 2, we'll have Xenoverse 3, maybe a prequel to this game if not expansion DLC to tell the other parts of the story seldom touched upon in a console game outside surface references & characters in fighting games. You want another new game that shakes things up, you'll definitely get it soon. For now, a game that delves into the story & lore of the franchise in a way that doesn't feel the need to go out of its way to give something just for fans. That's all. I've been waiting years for this kind of game & I'm gonna enjoy it. You can either do the same, or just ignore it. No skin off my boness
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:53 am

Well, Raging Blast 2 had a unique story mode and it was a**.

On the Xenoverse topic, both games had a stupid amount of advertisement. And I mean huge. Plus, they look beautiful. Aside from the gameplay, the colors in the game are just delicious. [I never really enjoyed those 2 games, btw]

What I mean to say is that your comparisons are not really all that fair and only looking at the surface.

During the PS2 era we got the same story 200 times. But everytime a new game came out, it offered something new, and so they sold well. Funny enough, the best game of the generation, Infinite World, I believe didn't sell as well as the rest. Have to check on that one. Personally, the story in a Dragon Ball game is the less important factor when compared to the mechanics being fun.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:56 am

Well I'm quite liking this game. The fighting isn't as dull as I expected, but that's mainly due to the defensive options. I would definitely prefer the combat with a heavy and light blow implemented into it to add more combo depth. The big areas to explore are good, but they also feel like there just isn't enough to do in them. The controls take some getting used to, but that's by the by. Loving the story telling side of it, and I love sensing the characters ki the more powerful they get to see how much space their aura takes up when compared to previous characters. One downside with the story part is people seem to be in the air too much for me.. is there even grounded combat in this like Xenoverse? I haven't noticed it, and I'd like that to be in the sequel if there is one.
The games a 7/10 IMO, but being a DB fan I enjoy it like an 8/10. It's hit and miss but it does enough good for me to propel it past average.

Now if there is a sequel I would want them to do Z and Super at least (would prefer DB to be in there, but let's be real), and with the Z portion implement a lot of what ifs. Maybe go all out and work on the game so it's entirely open world so the story can have unexpected occurrences ala Budokai 3. Honestly I find that Budokai 3 is the best way to tell an open world DBZ game, just couple it with a fully explored open world, and add more possible scenarios and I think the next game can span both Z and Super without being complained about too much for retelling Z.

btw I got the collectors edition, and it's really cool!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:32 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:47 pmYou call it a great era for Dragon Ball, but all of the game stories have been fanfiction-tier gargbage significantly worse than Super and GT.
Certainly I can't vouch for that, as seeing from my perspective the new games have been way better than the series.
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:47 pmI don't remotely want their types of stories to remain the norm until we get the one perfect retelling of DB's story. I won't even mention the colossal shit show that is Heroes World Mission.
Why is this "perfect retelling" so necessary for you after all the retellings we've got so far? What are we all going to accomplish once we get "the one perfect retelling"? What happens after that? Are you going to look for an even better "perfect retelling"?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 am

Quick question: is in this game Super Saiyan Second Grade state trunks?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am

Drayenko wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:53 am Well, Raging Blast 2 had a unique story mode and it was a**.

On the Xenoverse topic, both games had a stupid amount of advertisement. And I mean huge. Plus, they look beautiful. Aside from the gameplay, the colors in the game are just delicious. [I never really enjoyed those 2 games, btw]

What I mean to say is that your comparisons are not really all that fair and only looking at the surface.

During the PS2 era we got the same story 200 times. But everytime a new game came out, it offered something new, and so they sold well. Funny enough, the best game of the generation, Infinite World, I believe didn't sell as well as the rest. Have to check on that one. Personally, the story in a Dragon Ball game is the less important factor when compared to the mechanics being fun.
Xenoverse looks beautiful? The models are ugly as crap in those games.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 am

At the Frieza saga currently and I'm having a blast with this so far, despite how graphically great it looks it still runs surprisingly well on my old-ass laptop. The environment look damn good, fine attention to detail and... Yeah, I'll admit I spent way too much time just flying around and trashing the environment. Sorry, Upa, but fuck your trees! I like the added interactions so far, especially between Goku, Gohan and Chichi, the game really does make their family relationship shine and some of the Dragon Ball Easter eggs that come along are nice. I don't think the fighting is that complex, it just seems like an evolved version of Xenoverse's fighting system, but the sound effects and animations really go a long way in making it FEEL good. Finishing off an enemy has never been so satisfying.

However, I do have a problem with leveling in this game, the fights give so little XP that it feels practically impossible to level outside of sidequests, but maybe that'll change when I'm a high enough level to start taking on those villainous enemies. Also, how useful is cooking and crafting in this game? Because I've yet to feel the need to bother trying to collect food or getting minerals.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 pm

This game is much bigger than I thought it would be!
CyberConnect2 deserves a lot of praise for what they did. I hope this is the first of many games they do for this franchise.

The graphics aren't perfect, but I love the color scheme and overall presentation style they went for.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:32 am Certainly I can't vouch for that, as seeing from my perspective the new games have been way better than the series.
To each their own, but to me FighterZ and Xenoverse both reek of fan-fiction tier writing. I'd rather re-read the fanfiction about Goku and Anne Frank than replay either of those games' story modes.
Why is this "perfect retelling" so necessary for you after all the retellings we've got so far? What are we all going to accomplish once we get "the one perfect retelling"? What happens after that? Are you going to look for an even better "perfect retelling"?
Because until Kakarot, we'd yet to get a single retelling that wasn't a complete butchering of the story. Honestly, after we do finally get that "perfect retelling," I couldn't care less what they do with the games because I'll stop buying them from Bamco. I personally hate fan-fiction and don't want that crap in my games. It's why I've resolved to only buy such games used because I refuse to financially support these ventures (even though I need them for my collection)
Gt91 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 am Quick question: is in this game Super Saiyan Second Grade state trunks?
To answer this, no. You don't get to play as that Trunks at all as the game skips from Vegeta vs Cell to the Cell Games.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:36 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 pmI'd rather re-read the fanfiction about Goku and Anne Frank than replay either of those games' story modes.
Hey, don't you diss the Legendary Super Hitler!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Kanassa wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:36 pm
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 pmI'd rather re-read the fanfiction about Goku and Anne Frank than replay either of those games' story modes.
Hey, don't you diss the Legendary Super Hitler!
Hey, at least that shit was so ridiculous and over the top it turned out to be a bit of fun to read (until they got down to the sexy time). I can't say the same about the Time Patrol storyline or whatever they want to call the FighterZ story.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 pm
Gt91 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 am Quick question: is in this game Super Saiyan Second Grade state trunks?
To answer this, no. You don't get to play as that Trunks at all as the game skips from Vegeta vs Cell to the Cell Games.
Oh, that's really bad ... thanks for the answer :)

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Gt91 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:06 pm
No problem. I already beat the main story, working on a more in-depth second playthrough now, so I've been going around answering any and all questions I can on Reddit and GameFaqs.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:26 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:17 pm
No problem. I already beat the main story, working on a more in-depth second playthrough now, so I've been going around answering any and all questions I can on Reddit and GameFaqs.
That's so wholesome, thank you!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:38 pm

That's disappointing.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:45 pm

[/quote]
Xeogran wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:26 pm That's so wholesome, thank you!
No problem. Not sure what the rules about plugging threads on other sites, but if you're on Reddit, I did a small "ama" yesterday to field questions.
sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:38 pm That's disappointing.
Not as disappointing as not being able to free roam with Vegetto or Gotenks, but I'm sure all of this will be fixed with mods on PC.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:18 pm

I didn't buy the game, and it'll probably be a while before I do, IF I do. That said I will say somethings I'm enjoying the most as I watch cut scenes on Youtube, is 1. the episodic feel that some of the chapters have with title cards n such, don't think we've had that since Budokai 1 and 2. The Orchestra renditions of some of Kikuchi's and Kageyama's classics, I think those are really awesome.

The game play looks okay, nothing overly impressive at all, but mildly serviceable. The biggest detriment that I see is that, because the game play isn't all that deep, the boss battles can seem very long and drawn out when you're just doing the same button strings over and over again.

While I can understand some folks still being burnt out on the same section of the story being retold again, I will say this.

It's been a while since we've gotten a game that soley focused on the main story, the last time we got that was with Battle of Z back in 2013 and even then they had a spin on it because you can create your own teams to go through the story battles. Xenoverse 1 and 2, FighterZ, Fusions and Heroes (Portable) all had what-if scenarios that were the main story point for those games. Hell this game has different What-If scenarios as well such as Vegeta training with Gohan after he beat Cell and Towa and Mira are part of it as well, so you know that they have a bunch of different ideas planned for the game in the future.

To me saying that "If I wanted to play through Toriyama's story I'd just play this game or that game" is a bit unfair, Infinite World came out 12 years ago and thats a fighting game. Kakarot is an adventure ala Legacy of Goku, Attack of the Saiyans etc (Those games get plenty of praise btw, despite retelling the same old story) So the experience is gonna be different automatically.

It's almost like saying why would I play MK:Shaolin Monks when I've already played MK 1-3, two totally different experiences.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels