One of my favorite things about DBS Broly movie...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

One of my favorite things about DBS Broly movie...

Post by Psajdak » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 pm

I loved how they made likeable members of Freeza's army with Lemo, and Cheelai.

And even in that scene in the living quarters, there were some soldiers just sitting, talking to each other, and not being by default villainous.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Re: One of my favorite things about DBS Broly movie...

Post by Kepiaschkz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:33 pm

It's something that I loved too. It added some depth in Freeza's soldiers personality instead of just cliché one-liner evil fodders.

I really like that kind of realistic approach. Of course in group of several thousands of people, there are obligatory some individuals in the grey area of morality, who does this job because it is just that, a job in the first place.
And not just no-brainer minions who are evil just because.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Because Freeza inspires loyalty through fear, not through respect or love. After he first died at the beginning of the Androids arc, his empire quickly fell apart. It's only natural that a lot of his soldiers are actually pretty normal people. Just look at Cheelai or Lemo, they didn't serve in the Freeza Force because they are crazy, they served there because they had nowhere else to go.

The scenes with Freeza and his underlings were my favourite moments in the Broly movie to be honest. I also loved how Freeza himself was written as a more calm and methodical ruler.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:14 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:29 pm Because Freeza inspires loyalty through fear, not through respect or love. After he first died at the beginning of the Androids arc, his empire quickly fell apart. It's only natural that a lot of his soldiers are actually pretty normal people. Just look at Cheelai or Lemo, they didn't serve in the Freeza Force because they are crazy, they served there because they had nowhere else to go.

The scenes with Freeza and his underlings were my favourite moments in the Broly movie to be honest. I also loved how Freeza himself was written as a more calm and methodical ruler.
Right? Seems like it wasn't just our main characters who matured over the years!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:24 am

Thani wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:14 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:29 pm Because Freeza inspires loyalty through fear, not through respect or love. After he first died at the beginning of the Androids arc, his empire quickly fell apart. It's only natural that a lot of his soldiers are actually pretty normal people. Just look at Cheelai or Lemo, they didn't serve in the Freeza Force because they are crazy, they served there because they had nowhere else to go.

Right? Seems like it wasn't just our main characters who matured over the years!
Freeza probably matured more than all the main characters to be honest. I mean, he fought with Saiyans for the sake of the universe and for once even admitted he was glad Goku was present, that's some real character development. Sure he returned to his evil ways, but still. It takes a lot of effort to join forces with your worst enemy.

That being said, he still wants to get his revenge. It remains to be seen if he'll go through with his plan and die again or maybe learn the lesson and stay the fuck away from Earth.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:40 pm

He'll probably never learn that lesson, but now that he has come to respect Goku and Vegeta, he will bid his time until he's sure he can take on them. And who knows, Freeza now certainly looks like someone who can pull an "enemy mine" with them, when the need arises.