Brice Armstrong (Captain Ginyu, Lord Slug) passed away

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Brice Armstrong (Captain Ginyu, Lord Slug) passed away

Post by coola » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:07 am

He passed away of natural cause at age of 84, i first heard him in Budokai 2 and really liked his Captain Ginyu. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 84/.155538
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Brice Armstrong (Captain Ginyu, Lord Slug) passed away

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:11 am

That's sad to hear...

I really liked him as the narrator in Dragon Ball. I feel he was the closest to matching Jouji Yanami of all of the narrators in English Dragon Ball.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:17 am

That's a shame, but 84 is a long life, so big bucket of win. I loved the guy's voice. He could make reciting the phone book sound interesting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:11 am I really liked him as the narrator in Dragon Ball. I feel he was the closest to matching Jouji Yanami of all of the narrators in English Dragon Ball.
Agreed, Brice really evoked this storybook quality that feels incredibly appropriate to early Dragon Ball. He knew when to evoke warmness and excitement for the adventure ahead, but when the story got dramatic, such as Bora's death or the emergence of King Piccolo, he was appropriately respectful and somber. He and Nadolny are the two voices I associate most with the original Dragon Ball, especially since Armstrong technically accompanied Goku even on his solo adventures like most of the Red Ribbon arc.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am

I was about to post this. He was my favorite of the Funimation narrators. And he made Lord Slug, a villain who was kinda lame, sound cool with his voice. Great Ginyu as well. RIP Mr. Armstrong. Wish I had a chance to meet you.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am

One of my favorite Funimation voice actors. Such a great voice for a narrator.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 am

RIP

He lived to a great age, and did a lot of great work for the series.

Definitely the second best of Funimation's narrator behind Doc Morgan.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:39 am

I knew this day would be coming eventually, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. He was an amazing voice actor (and from what I've been told, a really nice guy to boot), and I've missed hearing his voice ever since he retired. As has already been said, he lived a long life though, and certainly one worthy of celebrating. Rest in peace, Mr. Armstrong.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:04 am

Knew it would happen, but he had a good run.
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think any other Funi VAs have passed, yet.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:20 am

very unfortunate to hear, always used to shock me when i saw he old he was when he started. agree with others that his narration in the original dragon ball was a highlight, definitely the best in that role for the funimation dubs. rest in peace.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:40 am

R.I.P Brice, you were really great as Captain Ginyu and narrator of the original Dragon Ball series dub. God speed!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm

I always loved his captain ginyu and lord slug. Sad but atleast he'll live on in the series.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Damn...

Gonna miss him. I really liked his Ginyu.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Paying all my respects.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Damn, this really sucks. I knew he was pretty old but I'm still shocked. I'm rewatching DB and hearing his narration is such a joy. Always liked his Captain Ginyu too. :( :(

Rest in peace...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:39 pm

He's my other personal favorite of FUNi's voices for the narrator after Doc Morgan in Kai and onward, as being the two who have come closest to capturing Joji Yanami's wise sage like delivery. This is the first of the VA's on the Texas cast's side of the franchise to pass on but he had a long and successful career in voice over so of course we'll always have all his performances to remember him by.

Again R.I.P and God speed to you, Brice. I know you will be missed by not only a great many Dragon Ball fans here but also of course of your many other anime roles.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Damn.
Well, he lived long, and made a positive impact in his time. Still very sad, of course.
I echo previous sentiments in regards to his narration -- he was great. Everything a Dragon Ball narrator should be; undoubtedly the best of the bunch. RIP.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.
Valerius Dover wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:04 am Knew it would happen, but he had a good run.
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think any other Funi VAs have passed, yet.
If you count the Vancouver actors who worked for Funi in the '90s, Robert O. Smith (Grand Elder Guru in Z, Bongo in DB movie 1) sadly passed away in 2011.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 pm

This is so sad. He was really good in just about everything he did. All the best to his loved ones and I hope he rests in peace.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Damn.

I'll echo what everyone else has said, he was undoubtedly the best narrator FUNi ever had for the series. For me, he's the only one who managed to evoke the same "essence" Joji Yanami brought to the narration, very warm and "storybook"-esque, as others have said here.

Rest in Peace.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:15 pm

It was his time I guess, he definitely lived a good amount of time. Its funny because I feel like he was the go to guy for every random demon in YuYu Hakusho during the Dark Tournament Arc lol.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels