Does the fact the DBS anime is not returning make you loose intrest in DB?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Does the fact the DBS anime is not returning make you loose intrest in DB?

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:38 pm

The final hope for DBS to return in 2020 has somehow faded with the announcement of the new Digimon anime, which will air on FUJI-tv in April. What does that mean in relation with your personal commitment to the franchise?
Do you guys feel less invested and intrested now there hasn't been an anime for two years and does not seem to return anytime soon?
It's clear there are less posts in general here in comparison when Super was airing or even when the movie Broly was in preparation.

Are you less intrested the DBS manga arc of Moro now you know it's not going to be adapted anytime soon (it could even become never adapted in worste case)?
Do you feel you will only experience a new kind of 'hype' when the first trailer drops for the movie (which could be a wait untill 2021 or 2022)? Or do you really need a weekly anime to stay invested?

We will get a new Dragon Quest-anime in the second half of the year. That's not exactly DB but it's somehow related because it's very Toriyama-esque, as he made the art designs for the series way back in the 80's and 90's. The series definitely has a DB-vibe in it. In absence of a real DBS-anime, is that something that you would consider to give a chance?

mrsilentq

Re: Does the fact the DBS anime is not returning make you loose intrest in DB?

Post by mrsilentq » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Personally I am/will be in it as long as new material is coming out. If Toriyama has some level of involvement it's all the better. If the DBS Manga ends and there's a void of new material, then I'm sure my interest will diminish. I'm sure plenty of people's interest is maintained with new video games too.

And hey, never say never about the anime's return/revival! HOPE!!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Not really. Plenty of people still discuss Dragon Ball Super on this forum, discord, reddit, youtube, etc. Even if it's no longer as active as it was when the ToP was airing (which was like the apex of popularity), DBS fandom is still very much alive.

That being said, the manga is really not my thing, so I hope to see a new season of Super eventually.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Not at all. I vastly prefer the anime over the manga, but at least we got that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 pm

I certainly takes less of my head space. The animated franchise is where most of my attention lies because I'm more interested in the creators of that industry. Also, video games are hard. LOL
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm

No. For me, the best part of the Super anime was everything that was going on around the Super anime, and as far as content goes I prefer the manga. I do miss how active and alive the fandom was thanks to the anime, but that was a bonus, not a necessity.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:08 pm

I'd never really felt invigorated by Super in the first place. Super was just a curiosity associated with something I liked which is why I bothered to keep up with it. I'll likely also keep up with the manga but this isn't really a product targeted to me so I don't really think it matters how I feel
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 pm

No, since DBS didn't interest me in first place and i'm still watching DB/Z/GT and i'm on this forum for those series. Never was here for Super and never will be here for Super. I'm watching DB for almost 20 years now. Why would existence or lack of such thing as DBS had any impact on it? If i ever lose interest it's because i got bored or too old.

Super not returning has nothing to do with me being interested in DB/Z/GT trilogy and it can't make me lose interest in DBS as there's nothing to lose. Quite simple.

The only way lack of DBS could make me lose interest in DB is the new Digimon series that is going to air in april as that might take my focus from DB. So yeah, it we consider that i might say that DBS anime not returning make me lose interest in DB lol.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:28 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 pm No, since DBS didn't interest me in first place and i'm still watching DB/Z/GT and i'm on this forum for those series. Never was here for Super and never will be here for Super. I'm watching DB for almost 20 years now. Why would existence or lack of such thing as DBS had any impact on it? If i ever lose interest it's because i got bored or too old.

Super not returning has nothing to do with me being interested in DB/Z/GT trilogy and it can't make me lose interest in DBS as there's nothing to lose. Quite simple.

The only way lack of DBS could make me lose interest in DB is the new Digimon series that is going to air in april as that might take my focus from DB. So yeah, it we consider that i might say that DBS anime not returning make me lose interest in DB lol.

It's kinda black-white to think every single aspect about the new series is bad or not worth watching, just like not every single aspect of the old series was perfect either, and maybe we sometimes tend to idealize the old series because of pure nostalgia. But i don't want to pinpoint if that's your sincere opinion. Because the love for the old anime run does not strictly have to go along with a love for the new series.

In my case the revival kinda fired backwards, it made me appreciate the old series again. Like seeing an old love i guess.
I've always loved the old series, but yes, the Super anime renewed my intrest for DB in general after a long period of abstinence.
Super even made me completely watch GT ironically, and see it in another light although i basically hated it when i was younger and didn't manage to pull through.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:56 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:38 pm The final hope for DBS to return in 2020 has somehow faded with the announcement of the new Digimon anime, which will air on FUJI-tv in April. What does that mean in relation with your personal commitment to the franchise?
Do you guys feel less invested and intrested now there hasn't been an anime for two years and does not seem to return anytime soon?
It's clear there are less posts in general here in comparison when Super was airing or even when the movie Broly was in preparation.

Are you less intrested the DBS manga arc of Moro now you know it's not going to be adapted anytime soon (it could even become never adapted in worste case)?
Do you feel you will only experience a new kind of 'hype' when the first trailer drops for the movie (which could be a wait untill 2021 or 2022)? Or do you really need a weekly anime to stay invested?

We will get a new Dragon Quest-anime in the second half of the year. That's not exactly DB but it's somehow related because it's very Toriyama-esque, as he made the art designs for the series way back in the 80's and 90's. The series definitely has a DB-vibe in it. In absence of a real DBS-anime, is that something that you would consider to give a chance?
I would say yes and no. I started watching Super because it was new Dragon Ball content. And thanks to Ajay, I kinda became a huge fan of just learning who animated what and who directed what episode. It has now spread to other shows I watch like One Piece, MHA, Naruto, Black Clover, and etc. So while yes, it would be hard to keep my interest high but I still have other stuff that I’m passionate about as well. Plus, if/when a new film is announced, I’ll super interested in who is directing it and who will be the supervisors and whatnot. It will definitely come into focus when something major happens. Plus, the Moro arc is still interesting. I’m not the biggest fan of it but it’s been good so far. Definitely keeping my interest.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 am

I believe the longer we have to wait, the more likely it is that Toei may have decided to switch Dragon Ball to a seasonal anime that'll only air once each manga arc is complete. I know this may not be the best option from a time perspective as it'll result in longer waits between seasons, but it's great for the show's quality. Any production and writing issues Super 0.1 had (which were a lot) will either be completely gone or massively reduced.

By the time the current Moro arc finishes I think there'll be enough content to fill a 50 episode long season. With that said, I could be completely wrong and something else could be holding things off but this is the best case scenario I can think of. Of course the next movie's production date could change things as well.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 am I believe the longer we have to wait, the more likely it is that Toei may have decided to switch Dragon Ball to a seasonal anime that'll only air once each manga arc is complete. I know this may not be the best option from a time perspective as it'll result in longer waits between seasons, but it's great for the show's quality. Any production and writing issues Super 0.1 had (which were a lot) will either be completely gone or massively reduced.

By the time the current Moro arc finishes I think there'll be enough content to fill a 50 episode long season. With that said, I could be completely wrong and something else could be holding things off but this is the best case scenario I can think of. Of course the next movie's production date could change things as well.

There is no way what is in the Moro arc is enough to fill 50 episode long series.

Note as a general rule

4 volumes = 1 cour (11-13 eps)
8 volumes = 2 cour (22-26 eps)

Note I also don’t think there is any indication that we will see the Moro arc even animated.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Kinokima wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pmThere is no way what is in the Moro arc is enough to fill 50 episode long series. I also don’t think there is any indication that we will see the Moro arc even animated.
There are currently 14 chapters (43-56) with each being around 45 pages long. I don't know how much longer it'll be but for argument's sake let's say it'll go on for an additional 6 chapters, bringing the total chapters up to 20. 20 chapters × 45 pages = 900 pages in total.

900 pages ÷ 50 episodes = 18 pages per episode. If I'm not mistaking, that's on par with the amount of pages each episode of the original DB and Z adapted back in the day, if not more. That's assuming it'll be a 1:1 adaption of the manga, which it more than likely won't be. There's also the possibility of there being more chapters which will just increase the number of pages available to them.

Now keep in mind that when this arc is adapted (I don't see why it wouldn't as it'd only make money for them), Toei is more than likely going to add things to it and extend others. For example, we'll probably see longer fights, get to see what everyone on earth was up to before the attack, get extended flashbacks and training sessions, etc.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Not at all. I almost feel a breath of fresh air not hearing about what kind of stupid thing it did next. It made me enjoy the older stuff more, actually.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pmI almost feel a breath of fresh air not hearing about what kind of stupid thing it did next. It made me enjoy the older stuff more, actually.
I honestly can't argue with this as I feel the same. I do however believe that if given extra time, things will change for the better, which we're already seeing in the current arc. I understand that it isn't for everyone, but at least we're getting something new for a change instead of just bringing someone back from the good old days. I'd take a new character and concept that aren't perfect over seeing Cell come back or Cooler being rebooted any day.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:57 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pmI almost feel a breath of fresh air not hearing about what kind of stupid thing it did next. It made me enjoy the older stuff more, actually.
I honestly can't argue with this as I feel the same. I do however believe that if given extra time, things will change for the better, which we're already seeing in the current arc. I understand that it isn't for everyone, but at least we're getting something new for a change instead of just bringing someone back from the good old days. I'd take a new character and concept that aren't perfect over seeing Cell come back or Cooler being rebooted any day.
For sure. I can agree with that. Even though I dropped the Moro arc because it bored me (tho I do hear everyone is fighting now so thats a big plus) Id take it over DBS Broly to be honest because at least its something different instead of a rehash of old movies.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Nope. Unlike many, I didn't lose interest in the series during the "dark ages," (between the end of Z's US run and BoG's release) and I don't forsee myself losing interest any time soon. Like the other user, I've been watching and rewatching DBZ for the last 20 years. It's easily my favorite story of all time and I'll never get tired of revisiting it. It's just a timeless classic as far as I'm concerned.

That said, if the franchise stops producing new canonical content and the games decide they want to stick with these awful fan-insert stories that Xenoverse and FighterZ did, I'll more than likely stop financially supporting the franchise. I'll still rewatch my copies of DB and DBZ and replay the older games, but there's no way I'm going to keep giving Bamco my money if they're going to keep taking the games in a direction I don't like.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm

I would love more DBS anime but there's enough content coming with the manga and video games that I don't need a continuation just yet.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 am

My interest is definitely lower considering the manga is monthly. The weekly anime brought much more enjoyment because there was more content and something to discuss every week.
Right now I feel like how I felt during the 11 or so weeks of fillers we got between FT arc and US arc.

I also feel less hyped than I was during the build-up to Broly’s movie.
I guess hype levels will go up once the main Moro fight starts in the manga, or so I hope.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Just because its not coming back in 2020 doesn't mean its never coming back.............
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.