"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Do we have any idea who composes the music for this game? Cause I gotta say, this guy (or maybe even girl) can really capture the essence of the classic Kikuchi score that we all love.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Goku's promise to Gohan to go fishing later means a hell lot more now with the slice of life chapter at the beginning. I did not see that coming.

I was also pleasently surprised with the combo of Gohan, Krilin and Piccolo vs Nappa when I hit L1 and R1 or something like that a given moment.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:40 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:21 pm Do we have any idea who composes the music for this game? Cause I gotta say, this guy (or maybe even girl) can really capture the essence of the classic Kikuchi score that we all love.
I read it's very repetitive though?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:38 am

I really like the theme that plays in West City and Ginger Town;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4i0yy_iCw

It sounds really familiar and nostalgic somehow.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:52 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:38 am I really like the theme that plays in West City and Ginger Town;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4i0yy_iCw

It sounds really familiar and nostalgic somehow.
It's OK but doesn't sound nostalgic to me

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 am

Hello, does this include the Garlic Jr and Other World Tournament sagas?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:40 am

Brojack wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 am Hello, does this include the Garlic Jr and Other World Tournament sagas?
Nope! Would have been interesting though honestly.
sangofe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:40 am
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:21 pm Do we have any idea who composes the music for this game? Cause I gotta say, this guy (or maybe even girl) can really capture the essence of the classic Kikuchi score that we all love.
I read it's very repetitive though?
All video game music is “repetitive” by that logic.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:26 am

89 537 games sold for his first week in japan

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:18 pm

I gotta say, walking around Gingertown with all the clothes lying around and cars in the middle of the road without a single person is surreal. The love and detail put into this game really shows.

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Are they going to make DLC to cover the Z movies?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 pm

Brojack wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm Are they going to make DLC to cover the Z movies?
They announced early on that they won’t. But that may change.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 pm
Brojack wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm Are they going to make DLC to cover the Z movies?
I'd love it if they did eventually, especially with what I'm hearing with that level cap being so insanely high. Getting more big boss fights via the movie villains would be a fun way to get more leveling done and get 'new' material at the same time.

Actually...do the support characters level up too?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:21 pm

I'd love the movie villains to be back as super boses, especially OG Broly and giant characters like Hirudegarn (they need to do both forms justice). Maybe have Goku travel to another timeline to fight OG Broly or something, since...y'know...the real Broly's still stranded in that planet during Z.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:01 pm

So I've seen a couple of reviews of Kakarot and it seems like 7/10 seems to be the consensus from sites. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't necessarily agree with the critique bringing the score down.

Open World
The first point of contention seems to be that there isn't much to do outside the main quests and the larger world is kind of worthless. I wholeheartedly disagree with this. One of my favorite games in recent memory was Spiderman. Granted Spiderman gave you quite a few different task to do in the city, but ultimately they ended up all being either finding different ways of beating people up or swinging around to collect items. Although Kakarot is not quite as intuitive when it comes to variety of what you can do in the world, it's enough to not have it be a strike against the game. The collectables can certainly have more meaning, but I do think they wanted fans to have fun being immersed in the world.

Fighting

Again, I'll compare to Spiderman which had some really cool combat options that often felt fresh. While I think the fighting in Kakarot isn't overly complex, it's hard to knock it as each boss battle truly gives you a Dragon Ball feel and even more so while battling with support. You can set strategize and set up different types of attacks. I'm so tired of the comparison to FighterZ as a knock against this game. FighterZ is a fighting game that did an incredible job switching up combat that are usually quite stale in DBZ games. Action RPGs don't have the same expectations when it comes to combat. Could the combat have been better, sure, but again it isn't a negative aspect of the game to me.

Overall Impressions

Again, like Spiderman, I'm taking my time with this game and am absolutely loving it. Maybe it's my love for the series and being able to have a game where I'm just able to fly around as DB character is what's appealing to me, but I find myself wanting to play more and having to pull myself away. I really wanted this game to get similar love to FighterZ, which is essentially Marvel vs. Capcom with Dragonball characters (that's a good thing.) I think people fail to realize that as much as we've had the Raditz to Buu story, we haven't really had it presented quite like this. All in all, I personally love the game and am really enjoying it.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm

dualist wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:01 pm I'm so tired of the comparison to FighterZ as a knock against this game.
I've basically been tired of that outlook being taken since this game was announced. From the get go, people have been comparing it to FighterZ and basically making it clear that anything that doesn't look, sound, and feel like FighterZ is going to be a disappointment to them going forward. Which, I mean...more power to them, I guess, but that's just setting yourself up for disappointment. I also realize that I'm in the minority here, but while FighterZ is certainly an amazing game and extremely well made, I've found far more re-play value in Xenoverse 2 and I'm sure I will in this than I've ever found in FighterZ. So why it's treated as the be-all, end-all, most perfect baby of a game to ever be made is just beyond me.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:50 pm

dualist wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:01 pm So I've seen a couple of reviews of Kakarot and it seems like 7/10 seems to be the consensus from sites. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't necessarily agree with the critique bringing the score down.

Open World
The first point of contention seems to be that there isn't much to do outside the main quests and the larger world is kind of worthless. I wholeheartedly disagree with this. One of my favorite games in recent memory was Spiderman. Granted Spiderman gave you quite a few different task to do in the city, but ultimately they ended up all being either finding different ways of beating people up or swinging around to collect items. Although Kakarot is not quite as intuitive when it comes to variety of what you can do in the world, it's enough to not have it be a strike against the game. The collectables can certainly have more meaning, but I do think they wanted fans to have fun being immersed in the world.
This is exactly how I feel. The funnest part for me about Spiderman was just swinging around the city. This game is no different. Flying around the world as Goku or Piccolo is something I've wanted in a game since I was a kid, and I'm really happy with it and the game as a whole. Sure I agree it could've been a little better but no game is perfect! :)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 pm
I'd love it if they did eventually, especially with what I'm hearing with that level cap being so insanely high. Getting more big boss fights via the movie villains would be a fun way to get more leveling done and get 'new' material at the same time.

Actually...do the support characters level up too?
Yeah they do, even when not in the party! But seems they get less than the main active squad.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Did ya'll notice you can't share screenshots(Atleast on ps4) with your friends or make any captures your ps4 cover photo. Why do they do this stuff? Lol I mean, it's NOT THAAAT BIG OF A DEAL...But it's still silly.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm
dualist wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:01 pm I'm so tired of the comparison to FighterZ as a knock against this game.
I've basically been tired of that outlook being taken since this game was announced. From the get go, people have been comparing it to FighterZ and basically making it clear that anything that doesn't look, sound, and feel like FighterZ is going to be a disappointment to them going forward. Which, I mean...more power to them, I guess, but that's just setting yourself up for disappointment. I also realize that I'm in the minority here, but while FighterZ is certainly an amazing game and extremely well made, I've found far more re-play value in Xenoverse 2 and I'm sure I will in this than I've ever found in FighterZ. So why it's treated as the be-all, end-all, most perfect baby of a game to ever be made is just beyond me.
I'm right there with you. No knock on FighterZ at all, but I personally enjoy XV more, but they are totally different games. Personally, I was just happy that fighting game fans got a DB game that was legit a part of the competitive gaming scene. When a DB game is good, it benefits the entire community. But lately I've just seen this hate being thrown around at anything that isn't FighterZ and just think that negativity is unwarranted.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 pm

The game does look fun. The graphics look years out of date though, not sure what's going on there.

I'll have to get it one day.