Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:24 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 pm So, if Yamcha is the third strongest earthling, that means...
Probably that he is weaker than Krillin and Tien and stronger than Roshi.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:24 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 pm So, if Yamcha is the third strongest earthling, that means...
Probably that he is weaker than Krillin and Tien and stronger than Roshi.
Or even better, he's weaker than Krillind and Roshi, but steonger than Tien! You know, since Toriyama and modern DB loves to shit on Tien so much.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:45 pm

I thought he wasn't counting Tenshinhan because I heard Toriyama say Krilin was the strongest human, with Tenshinhan being an alien and all.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:14 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:45 pm I thought he wasn't counting Tenshinhan because I heard Toriyama say Krilin was the strongest human, with Tenshinhan being an alien and all.
He might be an alien but he is still an earthling, just like how all of the talking animal people, Chiaotzu and Pilaf are. I don't remember Toriyama ever stating that he wasn't born on earth.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:16 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:14 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:45 pm I thought he wasn't counting Tenshinhan because I heard Toriyama say Krilin was the strongest human, with Tenshinhan being an alien and all.
He might be an alien but he is still an earthling, just like how all of the talking animal people, Chiaotzu and Pilaf are. I don't remember Toriyama ever stating that he wasn't born on earth.
I'm pretty sure Earth being a magical place with many unique species and animalistic races living together is effectively retconned at this point.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:19 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:16 pm
I'm pretty sure Earth being a magical place with many unique species and animalistic races living together is effectively retconned at this point.
I don't know about that. I mean true, talking animal people aren't seen anymore, but there's still Shu, Pilaf (who looks to be a demon or whatever), Korin, whatever the hell Chiaotzu is, and probably some others that i'm forgetting.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:33 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:19 pm I don't know about that. I mean true, talking animal people aren't seen anymore, but there's still Shu, Pilaf (who looks to be a demon or whatever), Korin, whatever the hell Chiaotzu is, and probably some others that i'm forgetting.
Yeah but Pilaf and Shu are basically grandfathered in. Korin meanwhile is a quasi deity figure that lives at the base of Kami's lookout. But the animal people are just part of my point. There aren't any desert bandits like Yamcha anymore or unique locations like FryPan Mountain. There's no more adventure to be found on Earth.

Which is why it's a safe bet to assume if there's any weirdness (Tenshinhan for example) they're probably not really of Earth to begin with
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 pm

I guess that's fair. Earthling meaning everyone except nameks and saiyans.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Who do you guys think is the 1st(weakest) character in the series that can blow up the Earth?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:29 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 pm Okay guys! How strong do you think Moro has gotten over these last 2 months of sucking up planets? Do you think he has finally surpassed the likes of Jiren and Full Power Broly?

It makes sense, considering the fact that the next enemy is usually always stronger than the previous enemy (with the exception of Beerus), with 2 months of sucking planets dry, it’s more than possible for him to have attained such power, right?
You answered your own question. The plot has the next enemy always greater than the last. Our heroes grow to face the stronger because of the narrative. Moro will by default be stronger than Broly just like Broly is stronger than Jiren in order to serve the story.

Besides, Moro, after absorbing planet Zoom was already stronger than both Goku and Vegeta back in chapter 51. Goku himself states he doesn't know if UI will work against his absorption or Moro himself [power level]. Merus even states they would stand no chance in the same chapter.

On top of that Moro is so strong that Merus planned to fight against Moro with Goku and Vegeta. This same Merus wasn't going to hold back against Goku either, which speaks volumes about the threat of Moro's power.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Miracles wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:29 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 pm Okay guys! How strong do you think Moro has gotten over these last 2 months of sucking up planets? Do you think he has finally surpassed the likes of Jiren and Full Power Broly?

It makes sense, considering the fact that the next enemy is usually always stronger than the previous enemy (with the exception of Beerus), with 2 months of sucking planets dry, it’s more than possible for him to have attained such power, right?
You answered your own question. The plot has the next enemy always greater than the last. Our heroes grow to face the stronger because of the narrative. Moro will by default be stronger than Broly just like Broly is stronger than Jiren in order to serve the story.

Besides, Moro, after absorbing planet Zoom was already stronger than both Goku and Vegeta back in chapter 51. Goku himself states he doesn't know if UI will work against his absorption or Moro himself [power level]. Merus even states they would stand no chance in the same chapter.

On top of that Moro is so strong that Merus planned to fight against Moro with Goku and Vegeta. This same Merus wasn't going to hold back against Goku either, which speaks volumes about the threat of Moro's power.
Interesting.. I’ll have to check that chapter out again. Was that all in the same chapter where planet zoon got attacked?

Anything you want to add?

I agree with the logical power progression of the next villain always being stronger than the previous one. I don’t see how people could be so opposed to that simply because there was 1 exception in Beerus. There’s no reason to assume that Broly is weaker than Jiren (in fact, ALL the evidence points towards Broly being stronger!) And there is likewise no reason to assume Moro to be inferior to Broly now. Especially considering the fact that TWO MONTHS of absorbing ENTIRE planets is no joke, just look at how powerful Imperfect Cell became.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 am

Sadala Elite wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 pm Who do you guys think is the 1st(weakest) character in the series that can blow up the Earth?
According to Babidi you need 300 kilis to wipe out a planet in one shot. Some magazine somewhere claimed 1 kili equals 50k BP so that means you need 15, 000, 000 BP to wipe out a planet in shot. Freeza was specifically shown as being able to take out a planet while at only 530, 000 BP so this whole line of math is nonsense.

Anyway, my guess is probably Ma Jr because he was about three times as strong as Roshi and Roshi could one shot the moon which is about a quarter the size of Earth.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:26 am

Toriyama never once stated that Tenshinhan is an alien of any kind. The Daizenshuu says he's the descendant of descendants of aliens yet still classifies him as a human-type Earthling.

So Yamcha's pretty much saying he's middle of the pack:
Kuririn
Tenshinhan
Yamcha
Muten Roshi
Chaozu
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:16 pm I'm pretty sure Earth being a magical place with many unique species and animalistic races living together is effectively retconned at this point.
Oolong, Puar and Shu still exist so no.

And they still show up from time to time.
DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:19 pm I don't know about that. I mean true, talking animal people aren't seen anymore, but there's still Shu, Pilaf (who looks to be a demon or whatever),

The Daizenshuu says he's a moster-type Earthling apparently.
Korin, whatever the hell Chiaotzu is, and probably some others that i'm forgetting.
Chaozu is a generic looking Jiangshi; a Chinese vampire/zombie.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:56 am

Lionel wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 pm I don't care for the minimalist interpretation of most of the humans' power levels there. We know the training they requested entailed something more difficult than what Goku had undertaken -- not to mention they were working with multiple sparring partners amongst each other. Yamcha was there almost as long as Goku himself while Tenshinhan and Chaozu remained for 2/3rds of a year roughly.

If Piccolo's gains were enough to prompt Nail into admitting that remerging with Kami, an act that was described by the Grand Elder as "halving the genius power gifted at birth", would be sufficient to handle Freeza with his self-admitted power level of 530,000, then I have to wonder where the humans stood. Crazy as it sounds, maybe the filler depicting the humans easily dispensing with the Ginyu Force isn't too far off the mark after all.
I do not agree that using the gains obtained by Piccolo on the planet of Kaio serves as a basis for classifying the strength of the Earthlings. We all know that Piccolo carries a much greater potential, so that would be like comparing apples and oranges, for me. If we follow the anime's guidelines, Piccolo didn't even train with Kaio-sama and preferred to meditate during those days.

Not to mention that Piccolo's gains are somewhat debatable. All we know is that Nail was impressed with his strength and nothing else. The speech of the elder of Namekusei only shows that the power of Katatsu's son was split in two when he separated - this does not say that Piccolo, having passed years after the fact, would have his power doubled by merging with Kami again. Furthermore, it is possible that this "divided the power by two", was more symbolic, that is, the power was not literally divided by two, only that the power of the original Namekuseijin was divided into two parts.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 am

Mireya wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:56 am
Lionel wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 pm I don't care for the minimalist interpretation of most of the humans' power levels there. We know the training they requested entailed something more difficult than what Goku had undertaken -- not to mention they were working with multiple sparring partners amongst each other. Yamcha was there almost as long as Goku himself while Tenshinhan and Chaozu remained for 2/3rds of a year roughly.

If Piccolo's gains were enough to prompt Nail into admitting that remerging with Kami, an act that was described by the Grand Elder as "halving the genius power gifted at birth", would be sufficient to handle Freeza with his self-admitted power level of 530,000, then I have to wonder where the humans stood. Crazy as it sounds, maybe the filler depicting the humans easily dispensing with the Ginyu Force isn't too far off the mark after all.
I do not agree that using the gains obtained by Piccolo on the planet of Kaio serves as a basis for classifying the strength of the Earthlings. We all know that Piccolo carries a much greater potential, so that would be like comparing apples and oranges, for me. If we follow the anime's guidelines, Piccolo didn't even train with Kaio-sama and preferred to meditate during those days.

Not to mention that Piccolo's gains are somewhat debatable. All we know is that Nail was impressed with his strength and nothing else. The speech of the elder of Namekusei only shows that the power of Katatsu's son was split in two when he separated - this does not say that Piccolo, having passed years after the fact, would have his power doubled by merging with Kami again. Furthermore, it is possible that this "divided the power by two", was more symbolic, that is, the power was not literally divided by two, only that the power of the original Namekuseijin was divided into two parts.
Ironically, Krillin's initial power unlock balanced fairly similar with Gohan's after they had both underwent the same process; someone who was hailed for his reserves of untapped power all throughout the series. But with having said that, the humans don't need to be within glancing distance of Piccolo. Half of Piccolo's increase would suffice in theirs being substantial. Although I think the circumstances of them having lived and trained at King Kai's for far longer than Piccolo should reasonably compensate for any potential power discrepancies.

I think the inference of this power having been "gifted at birth" suggests a long term capacity and fountainhead for Piccolo. If the conditions were different and Kami was the one who was young and earnestly training then it's quite likely his positioning would be equal to Piccolo's in the actual manga. As to the ambiguity of Piccolo's progress, we know it was considered "unbelievable" for Nail. If it amounted to less than his own then such an assessment would seem exaggerated.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:25 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 am According to Babidi you need 300 kilis to wipe out a planet in one shot. Some magazine somewhere claimed 1 kili equals 50k BP so that means you need 15, 000, 000 BP to wipe out a planet in shot. Freeza was specifically shown as being able to take out a planet while at only 530, 000 BP so this whole line of math is nonsense.
Did we ever see IN CANON how long it took for Freeza's Death Ball to destroy planet Vegeta?
Because otherwise it can be easily seen as "with 15M Battle Power you can ANNIHILATE a planet, with less you can still destroy it but it takes some time"
Which ties with Vegeta, unable to breath in space, was willing to destroy Earth: he planned to get back to the Sphereship and get away before the explosion

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:17 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:21 pm
Miracles wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Interesting.. I’ll have to check that chapter out again. Was that all in the same chapter where planet zoon got attacked?

Anything you want to add?

I agree with the logical power progression of the next villain always being stronger than the previous one. I don’t see how people could be so opposed to that simply because there was 1 exception in Beerus. There’s no reason to assume that Broly is weaker than Jiren (in fact, ALL the evidence points towards Broly being stronger!) And there is likewise no reason to assume Moro to be inferior to Broly now. Especially considering the fact that TWO MONTHS of absorbing ENTIRE planets is no joke, just look at how powerful Imperfect Cell became.
Yes not only does the absorption power boost Moro's battle power incredibly but brutes like Broly or Jiren have no answer for it alone. Even Goku doesn't know if UI will be enough [chap 51] against it. So what is Jiren, who was weaker than a TOP UI Goku going to do if a stronger current UI Goku is unsure against Moro? Merus himself was going to go all out in full power against this current Goku. This same Merus, who was willing to break the laws of angels and fight against Moro with his powers, wow [Ch. 55]!

Let's not forget, the energy of planet Namek was more than enough to be more powerful than Red Vegeta. Who is "stronger than ever." Moro has been stacking that power for these few months. He's going to be insane. So Toriyama's plot about he next enemy being the strongest still rings true because that's the whole point of DB. Progression of strength, Toriyama himself even states you can't have the last enemy stronger than the recent. Beerus was an only exception cause the narrative specifically debuted him as a goal for what Goku/Vegeta are shooting for.

It's going to be interesting to see what Moro has in store with all this hype.
Last edited by Miracles on Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:29 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:25 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 am According to Babidi you need 300 kilis to wipe out a planet in one shot. Some magazine somewhere claimed 1 kili equals 50k BP so that means you need 15, 000, 000 BP to wipe out a planet in shot. Freeza was specifically shown as being able to take out a planet while at only 530, 000 BP so this whole line of math is nonsense.
Did we ever see IN CANON how long it took for Freeza's Death Ball to destroy planet Vegeta?
Because otherwise it can be easily seen as "with 15M Battle Power you can ANNIHILATE a planet, with less you can still destroy it but it takes some time"
Which ties with Vegeta, unable to breath in space, was willing to destroy Earth: he planned to get back to the Sphereship and get away before the explosion
Its outright shown in the original manga that Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta in the same way it happened in the Bardock special. Besides, characters weaker than 1st form Freeza (like Saiyan arc Vegeta) are confirmed planet busters and much of the filler (like King Vegeta blowing up 3 planets with a hand) is backed up by some of the guides.

The kilis thing is complete nonsense either way no matter how you look at it. No wonder the concept was ignored and forgotten about shortly after Dabura's fight with Gohan.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:37 am

Lionel wrote:Ironically, Krillin's initial power unlock balanced fairly similar with Gohan's after they had both underwent the same process; someone who was hailed for his reserves of untapped power all throughout the series. But with having said that, the humans don't need to be within glancing distance of Piccolo. Half of Piccolo's increase would suffice in theirs being substantial. Although I think the circumstances of them having lived and trained at King Kai's for far longer than Piccolo should reasonably compensate for any potential power discrepancies. 
The power of Gohan and Kuririn only remained close to each other until the fight against Ginyu in Goku's body. After that, we only have a comment from Vegeta indicating that their powers are progressively increasing but without a direct comparison between them. If we consider the supplementary material opining in this point in history, Gohan would already surpass Kuririn in the fight against Freeza by almost a factor of 3, before his increase in power after being slaughtered by Freeza. I, using a bit of headcanon, think that Kuririn, as he was already at the age considered by many to be the peak of many men physically, had his full potential released more quickly as he was closer to his peak and that was why he managed to match Gohan when it comes to gains initially. Gohan, on the other hand, was a child at the time, far from his full potential and it is evident that the great elder did not release ALL of Gohan's hidden powers, hence the initial power not being that impressive and dwarfing someone of obviously inferior potential.

Due to what I said in the 1st post, I don't think Piccolo's achivements at the planet work exactly to draw conclusions about the other Earthlings. They are different characters. Nail's greeting is also somewhat vague to say with accuracy the strength of the indirectly son of Katatsu. If I remember correctly, Freeza himself used similar words when he saw how far Nail got with his power... a power of 42,000 compared to his 530,000 in the initial form alone. And as I said earlier, I don't know if the Great Elder was being so literal with the "genius power divided into two".

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:30 am

Mireya wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:37 am
Lionel wrote:Ironically, Krillin's initial power unlock balanced fairly similar with Gohan's after they had both underwent the same process; someone who was hailed for his reserves of untapped power all throughout the series. But with having said that, the humans don't need to be within glancing distance of Piccolo. Half of Piccolo's increase would suffice in theirs being substantial. Although I think the circumstances of them having lived and trained at King Kai's for far longer than Piccolo should reasonably compensate for any potential power discrepancies. 
The power of Gohan and Kuririn only remained close to each other until the fight against Ginyu in Goku's body. After that, we only have a comment from Vegeta indicating that their powers are progressively increasing but without a direct comparison between them. If we consider the supplementary material opining in this point in history, Gohan would already surpass Kuririn in the fight against Freeza by almost a factor of 3, before his increase in power after being slaughtered by Freeza. I, using a bit of headcanon, think that Kuririn, as he was already at the age considered by many to be the peak of many men physically, had his full potential released more quickly as he was closer to his peak and that was why he managed to match Gohan when it comes to gains initially. Gohan, on the other hand, was a child at the time, far from his full potential and it is evident that the great elder did not release ALL of Gohan's hidden powers, hence the initial power not being that impressive and dwarfing someone of obviously inferior potential.

Due to what I said in the 1st post, I don't think Piccolo's achivements at the planet work exactly to draw conclusions about the other Earthlings. They are different characters. Nail's greeting is also somewhat vague to say with accuracy the strength of the indirectly son of Katatsu. If I remember correctly, Freeza himself used similar words when he saw how far Nail got with his power... a power of 42,000 compared to his 530,000 in the initial form alone. And as I said earlier, I don't know if the Great Elder was being so literal with the "genius power divided into two".
Actually, the discrepancy between Gohan and Krillin would have likely started growing once the former received a zenkai from his brush with death at the hands of Recoome. Twice throughout that arc he was the beneficiary of zenkais during a time when they were inflationary and conveniently pushing Saiyans up to potential competitive levels with Freeza. But that aside, hybrids like Gohan have always been noted for their potential. Piccolo admitted that Gohan surpassed his own power if he put his mind to the task at hand during the Saiyan arc. Similarly, Vegeta waves aside the possibility of more hybrids in his conversation with Nappa under the pretext of the hybrids', "brats" as they were described, power being superior to their own. Age probably isn't too big of a determinant at that point if these other statements are to be considered.

Freeza's own compliment of Nail was conditioned with the comparison of said Namekian warrior to others of his own species. It's more specifically quantified next to Nail's observations of Piccolo.

You're free to believe that interpretation of the Grand Elder's statement if you want. Personally, I don't see anything to really contradict what he said.