Dragon Ball probably won't bother going past EoZ, or even close to it; it may very well just ignore it...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball probably won't bother going past EoZ, or even close to it; it may very well just ignore it...

Post by Psajdak » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:44 pm

First of all, simply the fact that they chose to put the whole Beerus, and post him Super thing in that era of peace, instead of straight continuing with Uub /making GT canon alternative continuation.

Trunks and Goten look as they always were, Bulma is said to wishes to look younger, Goku and Vegeta look like they are frozen in time in their most recognizable appearances (yeah, Saiyan are said to age slower, but still...), etc...
In fact, Goku even regressed mentally.

In 90s EoZ was just that, it was thought that that's it for Dragon Ball - GT happened, but even in it they had Goku turned to kid, for whatever reason, but in this current revived DB, all of that seems to be in the way.

I'd say people in charge most likely will try to turn DB in lasting franchise where characters, similar to some other series that last decades, without changing too much, if at all - all of it happening in current age.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball probably won't bother going past EoZ, or even close to it; it may very well just ignore it...

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm

I agree. The powers that be seem unwilling to, say, age up Goten and Trunks, probably because they're apprehensive about having to contend with EoZ, so they need to just rip off the bandaid already and retcon it so things can actually move forward. It was a stupid ending anyway.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball probably won't bother going past EoZ, or even close to it; it may very well just ignore it...

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Until we get an official statement of "end of Z" getting retconned, they'd better not cram any more stories after Moro. That saga already did a two-month timeskip (pushing Movie 15 even further to early AGE 779) but there will be a moment when that won't be possible anymore, and whatever comes next will have to take place in AGE 781, which there wouldn't be a problem if they can keep Goku away from Bulma and her family, otherwise there will be contradiction.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:40 am

Placing the Super stuff within the 10 year time skip wouldn’t have been a problem if it were meant to just be a mini-series. Unfortunately, it’s supposed to be an ongoing thing that apparently doesn’t have any real end in sight. It’s ridiculous that they keep trying to cram so much stuff in that timeframe, especially when BoG already took place four years after Boo was defeated. I guess Goten and Trunks are just really late bloomers.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 am

You can call Trunks whatever you want, but he is definitely not a "late bloomer".

~ Day of the Machines ~

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 am

Indeed it seems Goku and the gang are getting the superhero- / Mickey Mouse- / Bugs Bunny-treatment.
Because the franchise wants to stretch out the story indefinitely and make 'full advantage' of the available time period, characters seem to stay untouched by time.
Eventually we'll "probably" go past Eoz but it may take a while.
I don't expect Goku to get really substantially older and will look the same within 20 years from now.
The story will probably never end. Although i'd wish Toriyama at least writes a 'proper conclusion' from his side when his involvement definitely ends, DB is too big to die and eventually Goku and the gang will return.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 pm

It’s almost like the story ended in 1995 and this is just a cash grab since nostalgia sells...

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Brother....I knew this the moment I saw 1st episode itself....BOG further solidified my opinion. Rest is history

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 am

I think they'll just continue to sit in this 10 year gap for as long as they continue to make new stories. Toei seems too afraid to just let Goku and Vegeta change their outfits so the idea of a completely different status quo with new characters and new designs is completely off the table.
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 amIt seems Goku and the gang are getting the superhero- / Mickey Mouse- / Bugs Bunny-treatment.
This is the biggest offense to come out of the current content as one of the great things about DB is (in this case, was) the character progression throughout the story. Clothes would change, characters would get older, relationships would change, characters would get introduced in and out of the story, etc.
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 amThe story will probably never end. Although I'd wish Toriyama at least writes a 'proper conclusion' from his side when his involvement definitely ends.
I don't think Toriyama's involvement will ever end as he'll most likely always be credit as a draft writer or supervisor due to his name recognition.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:12 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 amThe story will probably never end. Although I'd wish Toriyama at least writes a 'proper conclusion' from his side when his involvement definitely ends.
I don't think Toriyama's involvement will ever end as he'll most likely always be credit as a draft writer or supervisor due to his name recognition.

I meant 'actively / deeply involved'. It'd like fe the last movie for him to really write on his own to be recognizable as an ending in its own right, though the series may continue later on with the labels 'based on the story and characters of Akira Toriyama' or 'approved by Akira Toriyama'.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 pm It’s almost like the story ended in 1995 and this is just a cash grab since nostalgia sells...
If you hate Super so much then why do you bother coming here? All I see from you is that DB should end, that this is a cash grab, that it sucks, etc.
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:40 amBoG already took place four years after Boo was defeated.
IIRC, Beerus meeting Goku is only 2 years or even a few months after Majin Boo is killed. At least in the anime. It sure isn't 4 years though.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 am

There'll be a timeskip to the End of Z when it makes sense. Probably after the conclusion of a very important arc (not the Moro arc, because it doesn't sound like endgame material at all). An actual endgame material arc is the Universal Conflict arc from Heroes, where the final villain is literally on Zeno tier.

All of the arcs of Super so far don't feel "endgame" enough to conclude the era between the Buu arc and the End of Z arc. The only exception was the Zamasu arc, which took place in an alternate timeline.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:44 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 pm It’s almost like the story ended in 1995 and this is just a cash grab since nostalgia sells...
If you hate Super so much then why do you bother coming here? All I see from you is that DB should end, that this is a cash grab, that it sucks, etc.
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:40 amBoG already took place four years after Boo was defeated.
IIRC, Beerus meeting Goku is only 2 years or even a few months after Majin Boo is killed. At least in the anime. It sure isn't 4 years though.
The Jump Special took place two years after Boo was defeated, and that took place well before BoG. I believe it’s been officially stated that BoG took place in Age 778.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:17 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:44 pm I believe it’s been officially stated that BoG took place in Age 778.
Yes. Chozenshuu, Xenoverse, a Japanese event, the old Dragon Ball SSSS website and a few interviews place Movie 14 specifically in AGE 778 (the interviews technically just say it's a few years after Majin Buu saga).

The anime continuity, however, seems to take place a few months after Majin Buu saga, going by that narrator's dialog, and I do remember there being an information stating the same. If Tarble is a thing in the anime continuity, then Beerus saga cannot take place before AGE 776 (and neither in AGE 777 because of the "39 years sleeping". And then there's Pan's birth to consider too).

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:18 pm

If you hate Super so much then why do you bother coming here? .
Damn, I forgot Super was the only Dragon Ball series that existed :/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:36 pm

I don't really understand how fans can be so reductive as to think the only way to be a fan of something is to want it continue forever. It's very easy and very rational to love something yet not want its 20-year-old corpse dug up and dragged around like some kind of grotesque security blanket because people insist on more creatively bankrupt rehashes of what made them feel warm and squishy when they were kids.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:42 am

You can believe that and still enjoy Super for what it does right. I also believe DB as a story should've ended with Toriyama's original manga, and that Modern DB is a cash grab that isn't of the best quality, but despite that, I can still find things to enjoy about it. Just because you're a fan of something, it doesn't mean you can't be critical of it or have to like everything that has its name on it.
Gaffer Tape wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:36 pmIt's very easy and very rational to love something yet not want its 20-year-old corpse dug up and dragged around like some kind of grotesque security blanket because people insist on more creatively bankrupt rehashes of what made them feel warm and squishy when they were kids.
I 100% agree with this. As much as I love DB, I'm of the mindset that things should be allowed to end and remain ended. We can still enjoy a product that has a beginning and ending, there's no need for everything to be milked to death in order to stay relevant. I do understand why it's done financially, but as someone who cares about the creative side of things, I'm not a fan of it. Despite my many issues with this revival, I'll always be grateful for the BOG movie as I think it's a masterpiece.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:43 am

I would have been fine with a sequel to Z but I would want that to be it. Battle of Gods could have been the last thing to come from Dragon Ball and I would be happy(Why I say BoG is because EoZ could work with it's existence). I would have loved a good gt with SSJ4 but I don't want years of DB content even though it's my favorite franchise. I would prefer a complete product.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am

you can like DBS all you want, but it’s a fact that it was made to get a cash grab for nostalgia purposes. Especially considering the most recent movie is legit just bringing back an old villain from the movies.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Just want to echo the baseline "you can love something and still be critical of it" standpoint. This goes double for when something gets continued decades removed from its original production pipeline. "Why are you even here if you don't like it" is patently absurd to toss around; you don't make your way to and register an account for a specific Internet message board for a specific cartoon in 2020 if there's not some love in there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::