"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:10 pm

emperior wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:46 am Out of 36 cutscenes (35 without the opening) the Androids arc only has 4 of those.
Yes the only fight which was skipped is the Trunks vs Cell one, but it’s undoubtedly the arc which received less love of them all and fan-favorite scenes like Vegeta’s Final Flash and Goku’s Instant Kamehameha were left out. Not to mention how bad Vegeta’s Big Bang attack was.
Vegeta's Final Flash is probably what I missed most in this arc. But I wouldn't say the same about Instant Kamehameha. The FF served to show Vegeta's growth after the training (something beyond just a power up) and the creation of a new technique. Instant Kamehameha was a cool moment, but it wasn't as important or iconic as the FF and it kind of happened during the battle (which we played), so I can see why they cut.

Cell saga was probably the point where they had to hurry or the budget didn't allow more, so sometimes the pace is a little off or seems a bit rushed, but overall it is good and better represented than any other DB game (It's kind of sad that so far we haven't had any games that told the complete Z story the way Kakarot did) . A few more months of production could have made this arc better though

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:35 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up, but the game has been datamined and it seems like 10 DLC packs are planned (it's unclear if these will be free updates or part of a second season pass). Among what was found were files for Garlic JR., Broly, Zeno, Pikon, and Blutz wave (GT?). Of course some of this may be part of content that was meant for the game but was cut later and we'll never get it, but it could also mean very long term support like what XV2 got. This is by far the best DB game I've played and I can't get enought of it, despite putting in over 40 hours so anything that will extend it is welcomed by me.
emperior wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:46 am Out of 36 cutscenes (35 without the opening) the Androids arc only has 4 of those.
Yes the only fight which was skipped is the Trunks vs Cell one, but it’s undoubtedly the arc which received less love of them all and fan-favorite scenes like Vegeta’s Final Flash and Goku’s Instant Kamehameha were left out. Not to mention how bad Vegeta’s Big Bang attack was.
The Cell arc definitely got the short stick when it came to cutscenes, which is a shame as it has some of the best moments in the story, such as the ones you mentioned. With a game this big, it was inevitable that something was going to get rushed a bit, I just wish it could've been something else, like the long cutscene at the tournament before everyone went after Babidi.
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:10 pmIt's kind of sad that so far we haven't had any games that told the complete Z story the way Kakarot did. A few more months of production could have made this arc better though.
This is the first time that the franchise was big enough to afford the production of such a game. In terms of the production time, I think there were parts that they spent too much time on that could've been cut down in favor of things like the final flash, such as the long tournament cutscene before the fight with Babidi's minions.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:35 pm
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:10 pmIt's kind of sad that so far we haven't had any games that told the complete Z story the way Kakarot did. A few more months of production could have made this arc better though.
This is the first time that the franchise was big enough to afford the production of such a game. In terms of the production time, I think there were parts that they spent too much time on that could've been cut down in favor of things like the final flash, such as the long tournament cutscene before the fight with Babidi's minions.
Well, Bandai / CC2 covered the whole story of Naruto in an incredible way (even before the anime), so with the popularity that DB has (and with the various games already made), I think it was possible that some company would recreate the story of the series in a more faithful way (most games focused on the main battles). Of course, none would have the quality that Kakarot has, being able to use the most current consoles, but it still impresses me that until now this had not been done

And what you said about the game's production time is also kind of an answer for those who wanted the game to cover movies and even DBS (without DLCs). The story is already very long covering only the Z, imagine how much the quality of the main sagas could fall if more were added

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:02 pm

Is it possible to re-play Sub-Stories to get better rankings on them, or do you basically just get one crack at them? I got an A-Rank on the Android 8 one so I was wondering if I could re-play it somehow later and go for the S rank.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:17 pm

Saiyan and Namek saga = incredibly faithful to the show and beautifully done, with pretty much every fight there was.

Android saga = From what I'm hearing, not as complete as the previous arc but still really good. Lacks one fight and a couple of classic moments.

Boo saga = so, what can people say about this one? more like the saiyan/Namek saga or more like the android saga? because I'm not hearing many critiques about the final portion of the game.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:59 am
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm*snip*
Are you using a translator? I can barely understand your posts. Also, knock it off already. All I was saying was this wasn't the place to start GT debates, okay? Read more carefully next time.
ok ... if it's a misunderstanding I apologize

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:32 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:17 pmBoo saga = so, what can people say about this one? more like the saiyan/Namek saga or more like the android saga? because I'm not hearing many critiques about the final portion of the game.

It doesn't cover Goten vs Trunks but apart form that it does everything right. Despite these small shortcomings, I think this is as complete of a DBZ game as one could get. They could've easily extended the Saiyan and Freeza arcs a bit and called it a day and saved the other 2 for a sequel (I think that was considered), but decided to do things right and include everything in one game.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:32 am
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:17 pmBoo saga = so, what can people say about this one? more like the saiyan/Namek saga or more like the android saga? because I'm not hearing many critiques about the final portion of the game.

It doesn't cover Goten vs Trunks but apart form that it does everything right. Despite these small shortcomings, I think this is as complete of a DBZ game as one could get. They could've easily extended the Saiyan and Freeza arcs a bit and called it a day and saved the other 2 for a sequel (I think that was considered), but decided to do things right and include everything in one game.
Thanks, I'm happy to hear the Buu saga is top notch as well.

I agree, after the Namek saga I said to myself that it could've easily ended there and I wouldn't be able to complain due to how good game it was, so having the entire show with this kind of detail is a dream come true. It even has the OSSU ORA GOKU bit between arcs.

I'm at Vegeta vs 18 as of now, and I'm delighted with how the android arc is coming along. Yes, the Big Bang Attack cutscene was too short and nothing extraordinary but the actual attack in-game is, and looks, fantastic, so that evens it out for me.
I was happily surprised with the fight with Android 20, it was unfair but I really enjoyed having to change my strategy for this kind of enemy. I really felt what it'd be like to fight an energy-absorbing android.

And boy it is satisfying to pump up DBZ's opening soundtrack on youtube while flying around farming orbs as Goku on a bright sunny day

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:15 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 amI'm at Vegeta vs 18 as of now, and I'm delighted with how the android arc is coming along. Yes, the Big Bang Attack cutscene was too short and nothing extraordinary but the actual attack in-game is, and looks, fantastic, so that evens it out for me.
I was happily surprised with the fight with Android 20, it was unfair but I really enjoyed having to change my strategy for this kind of enemy. I really felt what it'd be like to fight an energy-absorbing android.
The Big Bang attack is by far the best attack in the game, especially fully powered up. I was also surprised with the fights against 19 and Gero as this is the first time in a DB game that I couldn't use energy attacks.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:10 am

to be honest, i haven't really super enjoyed this. i can clearly tell there's a lot of love towards the series, and it gets a lot of the little things right but just, the gameplay is just not engaging for me at all, all the fights feel the same and it's almost mindless, not to mention that the controls are a little counterintuitive. it sucks because there's a lot to like about the game, it's just not holding my interest in terms of actually playing it. i've also ran out a lot of glitches and weird technical issues, but from what i can tell that's not happening for everyone so that's probably just my copy, i have the worst luck with that stuff lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 am

I agree while the game has a lot going for it, it is struggling to keep me coming back to play it. I feel as if I'm playing it out of loyalty instead of actual fun.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:10 am to be honest, i haven't really super enjoyed this. i can clearly tell there's a lot of love towards the series, and it gets a lot of the little things right but just, the gameplay is just not engaging for me at all, all the fights feel the same and it's almost mindless, not to mention that the controls are a little counterintuitive. it sucks because there's a lot to like about the game, it's just not holding my interest in terms of actually playing it. i've also ran out a lot of glitches and weird technical issues, but from what i can tell that's not happening for everyone so that's probably just my copy, i have the worst luck with that stuff lol.
This pretty much sums it up for me. The combat just isn't deep enough (for starters) as the game lacks any replay value. In fact, it doesn't even EXIST.

The other things I find curious is: no Teen Gohan, no Gotenks, no Vegito as playable characters AFTER you beat the game. I find that really odd.

Additionally, the post-game is just awful. There is literally nothing to do except level up.

They could have added a real tournament mode (just you vs the AI since multi-player was never in the cards) or even just a set 100 room battle. 100 random fights to just progress through (kinda like Xenoverse 2) I mean, just add something!

This COULD have been the best Dragonball game we have ever had. But the truth is, I don't think that game exists yet. We are getting close....but we keep falling a tad bit short.

This is a great game. It truly is. But so much of it is GREAT story telling and how GREAT it looks. What's lacking?
Is the actual game portion and gameplay itself.
-Questrider

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Questrider wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm
The other things I find curious is: no Teen Gohan, no Gotenks, no Vegito as playable characters AFTER you beat the game. I find that really odd.
Gotenks is definitely an odd choice not to have post game, but Gohan is playable after the story. I dont know what youre talking about here.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:16 pm

I personally really wanted to see the instant transmission kamehameha. I'm not sure how this got left out.
It's not even available as a super attack. (Unless you count what you can do while in "surge")

This, to me, helped add more tension and stakes to the story and it was an amazing moment in the anime.
-Questrider

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:01 pm
Gotenks is definitely an odd choice not to have post game, but Gohan is playable after the story. I dont know what youre talking about here.
You can't use TEEN GOHAN. You highlighted it yourself. Who cares that he is technically older now? No one.
Same with Kid Gohan. Why can't we use him?

I'm not a Gohan fan, btw. I just found it curious.
-Questrider

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm

I have to agree with the previous comments. I've been playing the game because it's Dragon Ball, not because I like it.
There are "positive" things, but the gameplay is a chore for me. Won't even get into the combat department.

The game is getting overpraised, in my opinion.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Having a blast with the android arc, but I can't help wonder why did they make the road where Vegeta fights 18 such a cold place. It was more like a rocky mountain side road where they fought, and I know Gero's lab is sort of close from there and that it was located in a really cold place, but still, it looks like where Broly fought Goten and Trunks, and maybe remind me a little of DBS Broly's location, more than where Vegeta got his arms broken.

I guess we are having some form of Broly, otherwise why not perfectly create(like they did for most of the game) the Vegeta-18 scenario?

Also curious as to why does Vegeta's FF appears in the opening but not in the game.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Questrider wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm
You can't use TEEN GOHAN. You highlighted it yourself. Who cares that he is technically older now? No one.

Gohan isn't a Teen in the Cell saga. So that name is wrong. Buu saga Gohan, however, IS. You play as the Gohan the part of the story dictates. This isnt a fighting game where you can play as anyone at any time.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:32 pm
Questrider wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Gohan isn't a Teen in the Cell saga. So that name is wrong. Buu saga Gohan, however, IS. You play as the Gohan the part of the story dictates. This isnt a fighting game where you can play as anyone at any time.
His name has always been Teen Gohan in that arc. Any DBZ game? That's his name. And we are, after all, talking about that game. So no, I am not wrong.
Is it accurate based on his age? I don't really care. It's not relevant. The name is Teen Gohan.

And yes, I know it's not a fighting game where you can play as anyone at anytime. But once you beat the game, why does it matter? That's my point.
-Questrider

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 pm

eh i never really expected to be able to play as younger gohan in the end game, that's not really how most RPGs work, and well it would've been cool, i do feel like you were kinda setting yourself up for disappointment if you were. now, not being able to switch costumes or whatever ? yeah that's kinda disappointing that that's not in the game.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸