"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:32 am

Beiga wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:10 am
It needs to be someone who can fly/air dash, the developers have said as much.
Can you provide a source for that? I remember people saying they won't add gag characters, but nothing about flying

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:26 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:32 am
Beiga wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:10 am
It needs to be someone who can fly/air dash, the developers have said as much.
Can you provide a source for that? I remember people saying they won't add gag characters, but nothing about flying
I don't. It was from someone who attended a convention panel pre-release with the US voice of Mister Satan who stated he was never asked to participate in the game, so he wasn't invalidating a NDA. This could have changed post-release. Nothing from Roshi's VA.

That said, it makes sense that since the Dragon Rush/super dash mechanic implies flying, these two wouldn't be in.

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:41 pm

It's still another Goku, the idea of reusing him is lazy. There's already black haired Goku, blonde hair Goku, blue haired Goku, pink haired Goku, daddy Goku, baby Goku, half Goku with a Gi, half Goku with a vest and now a silver haired Goku.

It's ridiculous. Wheres Roshi or Dabura or Bojack or Toppo or Kefla or Omega Shenron or anyone that isn't the same character yet again.

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pm

Brojack wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:41 pm It's still another Goku, the idea of reusing him is lazy. There's already black haired Goku, blonde hair Goku, blue haired Goku, pink haired Goku, daddy Goku, baby Goku, half Goku with a Gi, half Goku with a vest and now a silver haired Goku.

It's ridiculous. Wheres Roshi or Dabura or Bojack or Toppo or Kefla or Omega Shenron or anyone that isn't the same character yet again.
Pfft, I know, right? This lazy game. Only has THIS many non-Gokus!

Android 16
Android 18 (w/ Android 17)
Android 21
Beerus
Captain Ginyu (w/ Ginyu Force)
Cell (Perfect Form)
Frieza (Final Form)
Gohan (Teen, Adult)
Gotenks
Hit
Kid Buu
Krillin
Majin Buu
Nappa (w/ Saibaman)
Piccolo
Tien (w/ Chiaotzu)
Trunks
Vegeta (Super Saiyan, SSGSS)
Yamcha
Android 17 (DBS)
Bardock
Broly (DBZ)
Cooler (Final Form)
Vegeta (Base)
Vegito (SSGSS)
Zamasu (Fused)
Broly (DBS)
Gogeta (SSGSS)
Janemba
Jiren
Videl (w/ Great Saiyaman)

How ridiculous!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Beiga wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pm
Brojack wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:41 pm It's still another Goku, the idea of reusing him is lazy. There's already black haired Goku, blonde hair Goku, blue haired Goku, pink haired Goku, daddy Goku, baby Goku, half Goku with a Gi, half Goku with a vest and now a silver haired Goku.

Pfft, I know, right? This lazy game. Only has THIS many non-Gokus!

Android 16
Android 18 (w/ Android 17)
Android 21
Beerus
Captain Ginyu (w/ Ginyu Force)
Cell (Perfect Form)
Frieza (Final Form)
Gohan (Teen, Adult)
Gotenks
Hit
Kid Buu
Krillin
Majin Buu
Nappa (w/ Saibaman)
Piccolo
Tien (w/ Chiaotzu)
Trunks
Vegeta (Super Saiyan, SSGSS)
Yamcha
Android 17 (DBS)
Bardock
Broly (DBZ)
Cooler (Final Form)
Vegeta (Base)
Vegito (SSGSS)
Zamasu (Fused)
Broly (DBS)
Gogeta (SSGSS)
Janemba
Jiren
Videl (w/ Great Saiyaman)

How ridiculous!
It's like people forget that the rest of the roster exists, and its literally FULL of heavy hitters from the series. Not counting Goku and all his incarnations and with counting the incarnations of Gohan and Vegeta that's 33 fricken characters, more than a solid roster. Adding all 5 of the Goku's to the mix that's 38 characters. Honestly i'm hard pressed to not count Goku Black as a "Goku" since much like Bardock, he LOOKS like him but isnt him at all.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Beiga wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pmPfft, I know, right? This lazy game. Only has THIS many non-Gokus!
Vegito and Gogeta are just other Gokus. You also listed three Vegeta's as well.

Even worse is that most of those are DLC characters so you have to pay extra to get some variety.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:28 pm

Here's the thing, if you were to do the Budokai thing of having just one Goku and one Vegeta and having them transform into different forms, you'd still have Bardock and Black as separate characters since they aren't actually Goku. It's not like Goku can turn into them. And with how popular they are, if you didn't include them, they'd be number one and two on everybody's wishlist anyway.

GT would have to be separate since that's a completely different version of Goku, one who already transforms in the game. Under the old rules the fusions would be transformations, but Gogeta and Vegetto are completely different from their fusees with no shared moves, so you'd just be getting rid of two perfectly functioning characters. The base forms are also meant to be them from a different era as well and have subtly different designs. But if we ignore that and rope them in, then that's still only condensing 4 Gokus (including UI) and 3 Vegetas down to one each. Out of a roster approaching 40 characters, it's not really worth it. And again, all of these versions of Goku and Vegeta function differently. Hell, if you were to make a single transforming Vegeta out of his three versions in the game currently, he'd get weaker with every "power-up". His base form is great, SS is solid with an exceptional assist and Blue is bottom five.

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Adding Bardock and Goku Black was reasonable enough.

Adding a black haired Goku, the most basic Goku, as paid for DLC was laughable. Not to mention adding GT baby Goku over practically any of the original characters in that show.

They added Vegito, fair enough but then added Gogeta too. The same character but now in a vest.

They may all function differently but that doesn't matter because they could have had entirely different characters altogether and they would have still functioned differently just the same.

There's like 10 Gokus but 0 Keflas, 0 Roshis, 0 Daburas, 0 Dyspos, 0 Magettas, 0 Toppos, 0 Bojacks, 0 Whis', 0 Frosts etc.

They could include people like Cumber or Hearts but no just Goku this time with white hair.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:31 am

Brojack wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:11 pm Adding Bardock and Goku Black was reasonable enough.

Adding a black haired Goku, the most basic Goku, as paid for DLC was laughable. Not to mention adding GT baby Goku over practically any of the original characters in that show.

They added Vegito, fair enough but then added Gogeta too. The same character but now in a vest.

They may all function differently but that doesn't matter because they could have had entirely different characters altogether and they would have still functioned differently just the same.

There's like 10 Gokus but 0 Keflas, 0 Roshis, 0 Daburas, 0 Dyspos, 0 Magettas, 0 Toppos, 0 Bojacks, 0 Whis', 0 Frosts etc.

They could include people like Cumber or Hearts but no just Goku this time with white hair.
Believe me, I've been critical of their choices in the past as well. But I think they've handled these repeat characters as best they possibly can. With the limited roster and need to make every character stand out (plus it wouldn't surprise me if Bandai is the one making these calls- I'm sure ArcSys would have liked to stretch their legs a bit), they're falling back on the most marketable, presentable characters. It's unfortunate, but that's the business. Also, I wouldn't want shit like Hearts and Cumber (a Broly clone btw) anywhere near this game.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:48 pm

Here are characters I think should be included due to how fun they'd actually be:
1. SSG Vegeta
2. Dabura
3. Kefla (SS2)
4. Toppo (maybe even god of destruction toppo)
5. Majin Vegeta
6. Dyspo
7. SS4 Goku & Vegeta Xeno
8. Blue Evolution Vegeta
9. Pikkon
10. Arale & The Gatchan

(Honorable mentions)
1. cabbe
2. raditz
3. zarbon
4. Buuhan
5. Baby Vegeta

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:44 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:48 pm Here are characters I think should be included due to how fun they'd actually be:
1. SSG Vegeta Please, no.
2. Dabura :thumbup:
3. Kefla (SS2) :thumbup:, and she'll be in, most likely
4. Toppo (maybe even god of destruction toppo) :thumbup:
5. Majin Vegeta Please, noooo.
6. Dyspo Unlikely.
7. SS4 Goku & Vegeta Xeno :thumbdown:
8. Blue Evolution Vegeta :thumbdown:
9. Pikkon Unlikely, sadly.
10. Arale & The Gatchan :thumbdown:

(Honorable mentions)
1. cabbe :thumbup:
2. raditz :thumbup:
3. zarbon :thumbup:
4. Buuhan :thumbdown:
5. Baby Vegeta ... Omega's more unique.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 am

FoolsGil wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 am After Haomaru from Samurai Shodown was revealed for Soul Calibur 6 DLC, I kind of want to see a guest anime character at this point. I'd drop money right now for Yusuke Urameshi if he was revealed this season. Fuck it, they gonna have 5 or 6 Gokus, why not get crazy, no one else from this series is getting created for this game.
Quest characters would be awesome.

Naruto, Yusuke Urameshi and Saitama would be top 3 choices if they ever considered quests.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:37 pm

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that so far, the majority of DLC characters were major antagonists or protagonists, with a couple of notable exceptions:

Bardock - Protagonist in his own movie
Broly - Main Antagonist
Zamasu - Main Antagonist
Vegetto - Main character (a product of the two most major characters)
Base Goku - Protagonist
Base Vegeta - Main Antagonist
#17 - not a main character up until the ToP where he was one of the MVPs
Cooler - Main antagonist

Jiren - Main antagonist
Videl - sidekick, got the DLC spot because she's a woman and those are a rarity in Dragon Ball
Janemba - Main Antagonist
GT Goku - Protagonist
Gogeta - Main character (a product of the two most major characters)
DBS Broly - Main antagonist

So what do the DLCs in S1 and S2 prove? Mainly that side characters, underlings and sidekicks are (possibly) out of the question - ARCSYS seems to favor main characters and antagonists which makes sense, since the main attraction of an arc or a movie will probably make for a better sales pitch than an underling which got killed by Goku/Vegeta/Piccolo in a few seconds. Which is why I safely rule out Raditz, Zarbon, any movie henchman and the like. Small fries do not become DLC, with the exception of Videl, who got in because females are a rarity in DB.

So, if we're talking 6 characters, I think:

UI Goku
Toppo
Kefla
Omega Shenron
Baby Vegeta
Bojack or Slug or Turles

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 am
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 am After Haomaru from Samurai Shodown was revealed for Soul Calibur 6 DLC, I kind of want to see a guest anime character at this point. I'd drop money right now for Yusuke Urameshi if he was revealed this season. Fuck it, they gonna have 5 or 6 Gokus, why not get crazy, no one else from this series is getting created for this game.

Naruto, Yusuke Urameshi and Saitama would be top 3 choices if they ever considered quests.
The hell? Why Saitama?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:42 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rildo. I'd take him over Dabura, his arsenal of abilities is way more varied for set ups and the like. Has potential to be way more interesting than a Sub Zero esqu Stone Spit move and a Javelin toss..
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:36 pm

EXBadguy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm
Sadala Elite wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 am

The hell? Why Saitama?
The numerous Goku vs Saitama debates and the fact that the fandoms of both series tend to overlap.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:55 pm

we are so close i can feel it ....

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:55 pm we are so close i can feel it ....

:wtf: :wtf:

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:27 pm

Zamasu55 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:41 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:55 pm we are so close i can feel it ....

:wtf: :wtf:
for those who did not understand ... now with Goku UI there is more expectation that kefla is the next

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Selectable assists confirmed! We got beams for Krillin, Trunks and Yamcha, DPs for SS Vegeta and Beerus, death ball for Freeza, rekkas for Hit, Cell's perfect attack and what appears to be SS Goku and Base Vegeta autocombos. This is could be a game changer. Hopefully it'll open up the variety of teams people can choose from without having to rely on a few key characters for assists. I'm personally looking forward to being able to swap out SS Goku.

Also no more fuzzies (meaning Z Broly is now S-tier), buffed sparking (that could be good, or very very bad) and...ki charging deflects weak ki blasts now. Whatever.

Season 3 is already gearing up to be way better than season 2. We've got gameplay changes, a slick new UI and the promise of more regular balance patches throughout the year. Hopefully it ain't gonna be like last year when the Rat ran rampant. I caught a bit of the World Tour Finals LCQs and saw some sick matches, looking forward to more.