What's your favorite version of original Dragon Ball Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

What's your favorite version of original Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 pm

Dragon Ball Kai faced a problem during his screening season when asked about plagiarism on the soundtrack, which alienated Kenji Yamamoto from the franchise. This gave rise to an alternative version of the series with the soundtrack by Shunsuke Kikuchi, and also, thanks to fans of english dub, managed to create more versions.

Original Audio:

Kenji Yamamoto Score
Shunsuke Kikuchi (improvised) Score

English Dub:

Kenji Yamamoto Score
Shunsuke Kikuchi (improvised) Score
Kikuchi Revival
Nohirito Sumitomo.

Although I am neither Japanese nor American, I loved what the fans did adding Sumitomo. Oh, my view was very good, especially in the Freeza saga. Meanwhile, in my country, kai received a horrific voice acting without half the original cast and with extreme censorship.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's your favorite version of original Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:51 am

KBABZ Kai project that is going to include a Kai edit of the original Dragon Ball and properly placed Kikuchi music for the Z portion of Kai.

So you know what the actual Dragon Ball Kai should have done.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 am

If you're including fan projects, you should also include Diccolo-420's Faulconer rescore of Kai. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but there are a lot of people who love the Team Faulconer score, to whom this fan project would be far more appealing than the other options.

Personally, I think Sumitomo's work on Dragon Ball has consistently been bland, uninteresting crap with no business being involved in anything Dragon Ball, the original Faulconer score is some pretty good tracks held back by poor placements and a lot of filler tracks as well as some very cheap production, so I was never really a fan, so I've never tried Diccolo's project, the Yamamoto score is unlistenable for me due to the plagiarism, it's an undeniable fact about every single track that makes me unwilling to listen to it, and the Kikuchi score was so poorly placed, it ends up just being shit in comparison to the original run.

And ultimately, to add another wrinkle to this all, I don't really like Funimation's dubbing, so most score replacement options just don't work for me. So at the moment, with Yamamoto eliminated as an option, I'm stuck with just Kikuchi 1-98, and Sumitomo 99-167... Consequently, I have never watched Kai in full. With all the problems with the music, as well as the fact I generally consider the "OG DB" stories to be better than the "Z" stories, and the fact I prefer GT over Super, I just tend to watch the original run...

I hope KBABZ's Kai project includes a Japanese track, 'cause if it does, he'll create the first appealing option for me (unless Ocean Kai beats him to it).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:51 am KBABZ Kai project that is going to include a Kai edit of the original Dragon Ball and properly placed Kikuchi music for the Z portion of Kai.

The definition of vaporware! :lol:

Yamamoto's pieces are great (covers of more talented composers), but like much of Kai it feels WAY too modern for what the show actually is, and not using the original Kikuchi placements was a BIG missed opportunity to make Kai that much better for western audiences.

Also it's not technically Kai, but IAmTheMilkman's Dragon Ball Recut is great too!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:51 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:45 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:51 am KBABZ Kai project that is going to include a Kai edit of the original Dragon Ball and properly placed Kikuchi music for the Z portion of Kai.

The definition of vaporware! :lol:

Yamamoto's pieces are great (covers of more talented composers), but like much of Kai it feels WAY too modern for what the show actually is, and not using the original Kikuchi placements was a BIG missed opportunity to make Kai that much better for western audiences.

Also it's not technically Kai, but IAmTheMilkman's Dragon Ball Recut is great too!

Plagiarism aside the only two pieces from Yamamoto’s score that holds up for me are Brave Heart Triumphant (which I still kind of prefer for the “I am the Super Saiyan Son Goku!” scene over the use of Genki dama in Z not sure what Kikuchi Kai used) and Courage Fills the Heart (which I don’t think made it in any official US release because the music got switched out by then and I mostly associate with DBZ Abridged and its extensive use of it).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:51 pm Plagiarism aside the only two pieces from Yamamoto’s score that holds up for me are Brave Heart Triumphant (which I still kind of prefer for the “I am the Super Saiyan Son Goku!” scene over the use of Genki dama in Z not sure what Kikuchi Kai used) and Courage Fills the Heart (which I don’t think made it in any official US release because the music got switched out by then and I mostly associate with DBZ Abridged and its extensive use of it).
I also think Yamamoto's orchestral of Dragon Soul is brilliant. It always makes me tear up when I think of its usage in the OG DB recap.

The Brave Heart track is brilliant, I've always wanted to know what piece Yamamoto ripped off for that one.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:57 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:53 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:51 pm Plagiarism aside the only two pieces from Yamamoto’s score that holds up for me are Brave Heart Triumphant (which I still kind of prefer for the “I am the Super Saiyan Son Goku!” scene over the use of Genki dama in Z not sure what Kikuchi Kai used) and Courage Fills the Heart (which I don’t think made it in any official US release because the music got switched out by then and I mostly associate with DBZ Abridged and its extensive use of it).
I also think Yamamoto's orchestral of Dragon Soul is brilliant. It always makes me tear up when I think of its usage in the OG DB recap.

The Brave Heart track is brilliant, I've always wanted to know what piece Yamamoto ripped off for that one.

I’m trying to be optimistic that he didn’t rip off the two aforementioned pieces. Haha.

Not a big fan of Dragon Soul or its extensive instrumental use as a motif for Goku. Give me Mystical Adventure’s instrumental as Goku’s character theme any day of the week.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:57 pm Not a big fan of Dragon Soul or its extensive instrumental use as a motif for Goku. Give me Mystical Adventure’s instrumental as Goku’s character theme any day of the week.
I like it as a theme for Kai, but I'm also assuming that in my future edit that I'd also keep the existing themes, haha.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:47 pm

I think the version that would be close to unanimity would be the Kikuchi Score with more tracks.