Dragonball GT original credit scroll

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Dragonball GT original credit scroll

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Hey guys I have a question. I've had this on my computer for years now and I really like it a lot and honestly! I don't remember who gave it to me? I'm thinking it was Kei17? but I was wondering was it ever released on a physical format other than the original broadcast?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7N2OGndCqA

Edit- I can't get in trouble for uploading that can I? I just wanted to share it with everyone. :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragonball GT original credit scroll

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:14 pm

I believe if i'm not mistaken that the above version with the credit scroll of the three series' seiyuu has only ever been shown on television both the original broadcast in 1997 and all subsequent re runs on Japanese TV and elsewhere in the world with some foreign dub's airings, and to my knowledge none of GT's home releases anywhere on any format have had it on the episode's end but just the creditless version.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:14 pm I believe if i'm not mistaken that the above version with the credit scroll of the three series' seiyuu has only ever been shown on television both the original broadcast in 1997 and all subsequent re runs on Japanese TV and elsewhere in the world with some foreign dub's airings, and to my knowledge none of GT's home releases anywhere on any format have had it on the episode's end but just the creditless version.
Thank you buddy I appreciate it. I've had it for a long time on here but just didn't have a lot of information on it. most of the time if someone gives me something like this, I just throw it on flash drive or folder on my computer haha you should see the bad quality videos and stuff I have from a lot of AngelFire sites.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 pm

I've actually always wanted to see this actually! My grand plan for Kai is to do proper Kikuchi placement in Kai, then move on to GT and Kai-ify that by trimming down some of the excess. It would end with a GIANT end credits scroll that lists literally every credit from the Kai line, so obviously it'd play more songs and showcase more scenes in the background.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 pm I've actually always wanted to see this actually! My grand plan for Kai is to do proper Kikuchi placement in Kai, then move on to GT and Kai-ify that by trimming down some of the excess. It would end with a GIANT end credits scroll that lists literally every credit from the Kai line, so obviously it'd play more songs and showcase more scenes in the background.
You wouldn't mind uploading it for me whenever you do would you? I love stuff like that.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:58 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 pm I've actually always wanted to see this actually! My grand plan for Kai is to do proper Kikuchi placement in Kai, then move on to GT and Kai-ify that by trimming down some of the excess. It would end with a GIANT end credits scroll that lists literally every credit from the Kai line, so obviously it'd play more songs and showcase more scenes in the background.
You wouldn't mind uploading it for me whenever you do would you? I love stuff like that.
It would probably be one of the breakouts, yeah!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:19 am

Toei filled a copyright strike against my account so I had to remove the video. Sorry everyone. Guess i should have known better.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:49 am

The credit scroll exists only in the original D-2 videotape master, which was used in every version imported before Toei produced the new print masters in the early 2000s. I think it's lazy of them not to recreate the credit scroll for the new master. The entire ending sequence feels almost pointless without it. At least they should've included the original footage in the DBox as a bonus feature.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:55 am

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:19 am Toei filled a copyright strike against my account so I had to remove the video. Sorry everyone. Guess i should have known better.
Would you be able to briefly upload it to Goggle Drive? I was gonna download the YouTube video but uh, well...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:54 am

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:19 am Toei filled a copyright strike against my account so I had to remove the video. Sorry everyone. Guess i should have known better.
Wow that really sucks, though i went ahead and downloaded the video while i still had the chance last night. Maybe you could put it elsewhere or something?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:02 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:49 am The credit scroll exists only in the original D-2 videotape master, which was used in every version imported before Toei produced the new print masters in the early 2000s. I think it's lazy of them not to recreate the credit scroll for the new master. The entire ending sequence feels almost pointless without it. At least they should've included the original footage in the DBox as a bonus feature.
I agree.

I think Toei were just lazy and didn't notice, though. If they paid attention to what was on the D2 masters, they'd have also used the stereo master audio on those tapes for the DBox GT audio, rather than using the poor-quality optical.

Anyway, @OP -- the credit scroll is on all versions of episode 64 that use the D2 video master, except for British airings of the Blue Water dub, which cut down the ending montage to exclude the footage with the text scroll over it.
I think there's a Taiwanese DVD out there which has the text scroll version in DVD quality, though the audio is only in mono (I believe, rather than using a mono mixdown, they used the left channel of all the stereo episodes).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:28 pm

Here's the footage from the original broadcast: https://mega.nz/#!49wCXKqL!07UA0iLeTytA ... 9rb_xex7C8

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:34 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:28 pm Here's the footage from the original broadcast: https://mega.nz/#!49wCXKqL!07UA0iLeTytA ... 9rb_xex7C8
Thank you for that Kei. even though I have it, it's nice owning the original broadcast of it as well.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:28 pm Here's the footage from the original broadcast: https://mega.nz/#!49wCXKqL!07UA0iLeTytA ... 9rb_xex7C8
I find it kinda hilarious that the credits scroll is at the full 60fps!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 pm
I find it kinda hilarious that the credits scroll is at the full 60fps!
Well, it would be, since it's a proper transfer of the tape, and the text scroll was added at the tape stage. Though if you look at some of the pans, you'll notice they're unusually smooth too.

Of course, the show was only animated at 24fps, but the way the original broadcasts (and the GT D2 master) worked involved essentially each frame unevenly cross-fading into the next over the course of 2½ video fields (with 60 fields per second, since it's NTSC tape. And for those unaware: A video field is basically a videotape frame lasting 1/60th of a second in NTSC, 1/50th in PAL). It would also wobble slightly. While this did result in a less-than-ideal image, it was plenty good enough for an analogue broadcast at the time, and it had the upside of giving a cool illusion of 60fps during any pans. So a correct, interlaced image, deinterlaced by your player, or indeed a correct, already-deinterlaced image, would have a nifty 60fps effect.
And of course, the text scroll itself was added at the tape stage, so the text scroll moves at genuine 60fps. :)

Naturally, a transfer of the show from film should be done at the original, progressive 24fps animation rate, but these old tapes are best either left at 60i or deinterlaced to 60p.

(Also, thanks for the upload, Kei! This is a real treasure :) )

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:14 pm Of course, the show was only animated at 24fps
Correction: not really! It was PRESENTED in 24fps, but a lot of the time the actual drawn animation was 12fps because that's cheaper and faster. Unless something was really fast, or it was a showcase shot like the final shot of Goku in GT with his big head, it was done in 12fps rather than the full 24. Pans weren't animated the same way the actual drawing were and thus were 24fps, which is why you have that disparity (this is also why CG is so OBVIOUS in anime because that's rendered at 60fps and it contrasts with the hand-drawn animation which is done at 20% of that frame rate!).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:16 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:14 pm Of course, the show was only animated at 24fps
Correction: not really! It was PRESENTED in 24fps, but a lot of the time the actual drawn animation was 12fps because that's cheaper and faster. Unless something was really fast, or it was a showcase shot like the final shot of Goku in GT with his big head, it was done in 12fps rather than the full 24. Pans weren't animated the same way the actual drawing were and thus were 24fps, which is why you have that disparity (this is also why CG is so OBVIOUS in anime because that's rendered at 60fps and it contrasts with the hand-drawn animation which is done at 20% of that frame rate!).
The anime was "filmed" at 24fps. It was animated on twos and threes for the most part (12fps and 8fps) and that's not counting the overabundance of stills and limited animation.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Hah! Yep, ya got me. :lol:

Though I will note that any panning shots tend to be the full 24. :)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:34 pm
Hah! Yep, ya got me. :lol:

Though I will note that any panning shots tend to be the full 24. :)
I do point that out! Pans are technically an optical trick and aren't "animated" in the same way.

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 pm

The Canadian broadcast of the Blue Water dub thankfully used the original credit scroll, which I always enjoy seeing upon watching my old recordings. 8)
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."