Should Zamasu follow the tradition of DB villains teaming up with Goku?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Should Zamasu follow the tradition of DB villains teaming up with Goku?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:16 am

Tien, Vegeta, Android 17 and 18, Frieza, Beerus, Hitto: they are DB antagonists who settled eventually into a sort of camaraderie/rivalry relationship with Goku.

Would you like to see Zamasu go down that path? Do you think he deserves that chance?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Should Zamasu follow the tradition of DB villains teaming up with Goku?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:36 am

Unlike all the other villains, Zamasu believes in no one but himself and genuinely believes he is doing the right thing. He is so twisted that he mercilessly stabbed his former master when he was given the chance to redeem himself. In his mind, he doesn't need to redeem himself for anything.

That being said, we can see in Heroes that he is able to make an alliance with mortals if it benefits him in some way. If there was a villain who threatened the entire multiverse, he could potentially form a truce with Goku and co. to fight him. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, after all. Beyond that, he'd probably backstab them once they outlived their usefulness, since he is driven solely by Project Zero Mortals.

It is possible that, after fighting side by side with mortals to defend the universe, he'd realize that they are not all bad.... but honestly I doubt that'd be enough to change his mind. He might become a more passive threat like Freeza, but he'll never change his mentality (note that even Freeza didn't change his evil ways after the ToP, and is currently looking to recruit Broly and get his revenge on Goku and co.).

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:15 am

There are so many that have become partners of Goku at the end, but there is no need this should be everyone.
It would be a bit 'meh'.
If Zamasu returns one day, (this is not strictly needed in my opinion), i hope he stays a villain.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:03 pm

I can’t see what contrived method they could use to bring him back. Unless they brought in a different Zamasu from a different timeline, which wouldn’t be the Zamasu we all know and thus would make no sense to have him.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:36 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:03 pm I can’t see what contrived method they could use to bring him back. Unless they brought in a different Zamasu from a different timeline, which wouldn’t be the Zamasu we all know and thus would make no sense to have him.
To be fair, the Super Dragon Balls showed that they have enough power to bring back people erased by Zen'Oh himself. So Zamasu coming back isn't as far fetched as it seems.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Thani wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:36 pm
emperior wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:03 pm I can’t see what contrived method they could use to bring him back. Unless they brought in a different Zamasu from a different timeline, which wouldn’t be the Zamasu we all know and thus would make no sense to have him.
To be fair, the Super Dragon Balls showed that they have enough power to bring back people erased by Zen'Oh himself. So Zamasu coming back isn't as far fetched as it seems.

Indeed, technically speaking it could be possible. it's a rather a case of 'would it provide intresting storystelling'?
Honestly, Dragon Ball sometimes has an over-urge to bring old characters back. They just don't seem to be able to give them a definitive rest.
It's more difficult to do in-depth storytelling whith so many characters returning and bouncing around all the time.
You can bring characters back, sometimes, if it serves a purpose, but it isn't a must all the time.

Zamasu is such a morally twisted and lonesome character, it wouldn't match up him teaming up with Goku and the gang ... If they bring him back, it would be more logic if he stayed a villain, but in that case it'll be difficult to stay intresting and original.
With so many universes / angel realm / demon realm still unexplored, i would rather prefer other storylines than Zamasu returning.
Talking about recurring characters ... I would see more potential in a planet Sadala U7 story or U11 story arc to make for a more original story than Zamasu returning just to give those 'mortals' a new lesson.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Cell has a better chance of returning before they ever think about bringing back Zamasu of all people.
Also the only Zamasu popular enough to be brought back would be Goku Black, and it would be difficult to have him back - and why would they want a Goku clone to stick around?

I think the only way for Zamasu to ever reappear in the main continuity is if they ever write an arc where a tournament between fighters from all ages and timelines is organised. But I doubt this will ever happen.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:41 pm

The What-if is interesting for certain, but I agree that tying Zamasu return into the storyline would be difficult. With Freeza it was easier to explain it, because he left behind an army of followers loyal to him, so it wasn't far-fetched to assume that some of them would try to bring him back. However Zamasu never cared about anyone but himself, nobody has any reason to bring him back, and the entire reality in which he lived was erased. I could think of two ways he could come back:

1) If it is revealed that Zalama is a deity above or equal to Zeno. In which case, it would make sense if even just a fraction of Infinite Zamasu survived, since he was granted immortality by the power of Zalama.

2) If the Cell timeline somehow becomes relevant. Zamasu is still alive in that timeline and should basically behave like Future Zamasu before he met Black. Bothered by mortals, but unable to act. Without Black pushing him down a dark path, this Zamasu could eventually complete his training and become Supreme Kai of Universe 10. The problem is that I can't think of any way the Cell timeline would ever become relevant in the storyline.

Unfortunately, with the way his arc ended (literally erased from existence in a separate timeline), only some BS shenanigans can bring him back. It is fun to speculate nonetheless.
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 pm Indeed, technically speaking it could be possible. it's a rather a case of 'would it be good storystelling'?
Honestly, Dragon Ball has an over-urge to bring old characters back. They don't seem to be able to give them a rest.
It's more difficult to do in-depth storytelling whith so many characters returning and bouncing around all the time.
You can bring characters back, sometimes, if it serves a purpose, but it isn't a must.
Zamasu is such a morally twisted and lonesome character, it wouldn't match up him teaming up with Goku and the gang ... If they bring him back, it would be more logic if he stayed a villain, but in that case it'll be difficult to stay intresting and original.
With so many universes / angel realm / demon realm still unexplored, i would rather prefer other storylines than Zamasu returning.
Your concern is valid, would you be satisfied if they took the Heroes route? So bringing back Zamasu while at the same time introducing a new cast of villains with whom he can interact?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:26 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:41 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 pm Indeed, technically speaking it could be possible. it's a rather a case of 'would it be good storystelling'?
Honestly, Dragon Ball has an over-urge to bring old characters back. They don't seem to be able to give them a rest.
You can bring characters back, sometimes, if it serves a purpose, but it isn't a must.
Your concern is valid, would you be satisfied if they took the Heroes route? So bringing back Zamasu while at the same time introducing a new cast of villains with whom he can interact?

I liked the character as he was written in the anime. But i don't see how they could bring him back and make him more compelling or even as intresting as he once was. They can always surprise me, but i have my doubts about that. Not every great character in history has to return, just because it was a success in the past. Sometimes a unique tie that a certain character had to a certain arc made the character special, bringing it backmainly for the sake of fanservice, always means the risk of a character becoming less special because of the overkill. Most definitely when there is no intresting story attached to his return. I rather pass for a Heroes-like scenerio in Super concerning Zamasu.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Future Trunks new future world still had a Zamasu and Goku Black. They can easily return.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:12 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm
Future Trunks new future world still had a Zamasu and Goku Black. They can easily return.
Yes but it’s supposed that Beerus killed Black and sealed Zamasu, and I doubt he failed doing that considering Whis went to tell Future Beerus about the situation and most likely checked to ensure everything went smoothly.

Sure, for some reason they never showed what happened in that new future, unlike before when we got to see Trunks defeating the androids, but it would be quite strange to have Trunks run back to the present again with Zamasu and Black being his enemies once again.

If anything, the worst that could have happened is that Whis tricked everyone and did some nasty shit behind everyone’s back in the future, or some other shit happened. And so they could be leaving Trunks’ future unresolved on-screen just in case they want to bring him back once again.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:50 pm

If he comes back, i rather think it would be because he is floating in some sort of "void" in between the timelines and after some rupture in the space-time continuum, he might find his way back into visible reality somehow.
The Zenos might have destroyed the timeline, but if the granting power of the Super Dragon Balls always surpasses the destructive power of the Zenos (as is already shown at the end of TOP), they couldn't destroy him. In that case he is only locked away. I still prefer he stayed there though.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:28 pm

DBS need more true villains like Zamasu and Moro not just antagonists like Beerus,Hit,Jiren and Broly.
If somehow Zamasu returns, he must remain as a villain

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:29 am

I still support the theory that 17's wish brought back Zamasu and the Future timeline. His wording was so vague that it could be pretty easy for the Dragon to have understood he wanted to restore all universes ever erased by both Zenos present at the Tournament. And since the Super Dragon Balls can grant any wish, they should also be able to affect multiple timelines. The ambiguous wording of that wish must be intentional so that the writers have an easy way to justify the return of Zamasu or the 12-18 universes.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:24 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:29 am I still support the theory that 17's wish brought back Zamasu and the Future timeline. His wording was so vague that it could be pretty easy for the Dragon to have understood he wanted to restore all universes ever erased by both Zenos present at the Tournament. And since the Super Dragon Balls can grant any wish, they should also be able to affect multiple timelines. The ambiguous wording of that wish must be intentional so that the writers have an easy way to justify the return of Zamasu or the 12-18 universes.
The manga showed that there are only 12 universes in one of the last chapters, when Whis visited his father.

So it seems like we won’t even get the other 6 erased universes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:09 am

I think Zamasu should never return. He was one of the lousiest characters I've ever seen in Dragon Ball.

Keep him in that no man's land of video games.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Hes like Freeza. Having him come back would just make him go back to his old ways.

Mike XL

Post by Mike XL » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Freeza didn't join Goku in the same vain as Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Vegeta did. They were all redeemable and were evil(to varying degrees, Tenshinhan much less so than Vegeta, Piccolo somewhere in the middle) because of life circumstances and trauma. Freeza was born evil and is a totally irredeemable psychopath. Zamasu seems more like Freeza in that respect than he does the others.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:14 am

Zamasu was not born evil like Freeza. He was good once, and at his core he has noble intentions. He's just misguided.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:52 pm

No one is organically born evil. Freeza was born neutral like everyone else, he was raised to be a selfish spoiled brat. The raw power he was gifted with and the political power that he inherited from his dad only magnified his shitty behavior.

I say organically though because someone like "Baby" may have been born evil but he was, much like Cell and Hatchiyak created out of spite and had someone else's ideals plugged into their minds during their inception.

Janemba was the result of a freak accident that included every dead person's "Bad Juju". The Shadow Dragons are a by product of positive energy not having a chance to replenish itself, sorta like if you use the same bucket of Soap and bleach to mop your floor, eventually it'll become too dirty to use so you'd have to dump the old water and have to spend time to refill it again.

I mean, I guess they were born to be bad but didn't have to be, see The 4 Star Dragon.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels