SSG or SSJ4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

SSG or SSJ4

Post by Mad Swami » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:30 am

SSJ4 is one of my favorite forms, however I also really love SSG, what about you guys?
Last edited by Mad Swami on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: SSG or SSJ4

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:32 am

In terms of appearance, I like SS4. It feels like a development on the previous forms design-wide and it brings in the look of Oozaru. I like the slender look of SSG, but it's too close to being a recolour of SS rather than evolving what SS3 looked like.

However I HIGHLY prefer the method for obtaining SSG over the "pull a tail out a do a thing!" that was required for SS4.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:47 am

I like how Ssj4 goes back to the Saiyan roots and how different it looks compared to everything else. Between Ssj3 and Ssj4, I understand why Toriyama decided to design SsjG the way he did as trying to do something radically different may not have worked, so instead he went back to basics and brought things back down. The Red hair on Goku's base hairstyle, the fire like aura, and smaller body size helped it from becoming a complete recolor of Ssj. I also like how it was originally only accessible through the ritual and Goku couldn't just use it whenever he wanted. I'm not a fan of the ritual itself but with the limited run time a movie allows, I understand why they couldn't spend too much time on Goku attaining it. Despite liking both, I have to give a small edge to Ssj4 due to it having a more powerful looking design.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:00 am

If I have to pick one, then usually I'd go with Super Saiyan God (only because "less is more") until Xeno Goku appeared with Super Saiyan 4. That transformation blends so well with his outfit that even the "less is more" thought ceases to work in this very specific case.

But certainly, both transformations (along with all the recolors and Super Saiyan 3) should just leave this realm of existence for good.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:39 am

I love SSJ4 and really don’t like SSJG. :lol:
KBABZ wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:32 am However I HIGHLY prefer the method for obtaining SSG over the "pull a tail out a do a thing!" that was required for SS4.
I’m the opposite. Controlling the ape form is better, imo, than “hold hands and get a new form”

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 am

Conceptually: SSG

Look: SSJ4

I like the concept of god ki, but I wish SSG would have gone with maybe a different look. But I don't mind it overall. SSJ4 looks cool, but the idea of obtaining Oozaru powers without growing into a full-sized Oozaru, I feel, cheapens the Oozaru form. It's too easy of a cop-out. Although I like that they used a similar idea for Broly because they treat it as a unique form to him, as if he has some sort of special mutation for it. Almost like his LSSJ form in the original Broly movies.

I also don't like that it's called Super Saiyan 4, because it isn't really the next stage after Super Saiyan 3. It should be called Oozaru Super Saiyan or something like that.

And Super Saiyan God should just be called Saiyan God while Super Saiyan Blue should be called Super Saiyan God.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 amSuper Saiyan God should just be called Saiyan God while Super Saiyan Blue should be called Super Saiyan God.
I think they would've done that had they planned on BOG being the first story of something bigger from the start, but due to the franchise being untested, they went into BOG with the assumption that it would be the only thing they do.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 am

Ssj4 hands down. Blue is just a reskin to sell toys I always felt.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 am

Super Saiyan God looks believably like a Super Saiyan transformation.

Super Saiyan 4 never looked like a Super Saiyan transformation or the level beyond 3 or whatever. It just looked like some half mutation between a Saiyan’s physical form and Oozaru.

ETA: I’m being pedantic by why is the acronym for Super Saiyan God SSG but the acronym for Super Saiyan 4 is SSJ4? I’m sure it’s one of those fandoms things I’ll never understand like constantly referring to the end of manga as EoZ instead of just talking normally.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am

Comparing apples to oranges imho.

SSG: A Saiyan with divine power flowing through his veins.

SSJ4: The purest manifestation of a Saiyan's primitive power.

One is supposed to be elegant and sublime, the other is supposed to be savage and rude. They don't really have a lot in common since they are not trying to follow the same concept.

Since you're asking which one I prefer, definitely SSG. I am a big believer that there is a lot of beauty in simplicity. I don't need fur, ridiculous eyeliner, big ass hair, and 20 other additions (including a tail) to be satisfied in a form.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:18 pm

I like SS4 design better. He looks like a brute controlling his raw power. Like the thing the legend talked about.

But I prefer SSG, it is something else. You need a bunch of people to unlock it and it is a godly form.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 pm

SSJ4 all the way. Best design and best personality + actually makes sense without introducing new concepts out of ass. Since when saiyans had anything to do with gods? Also, SSJG was completely wasted concept just like every god form.

Still, i think SSJG is pretty cool form and probably the only form in DBS that i respect. MUCH better than ridiculous SSJ Blue or SSJ Rose.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:47 pm

SSJG. Never liked the furry SSJ4 aesthetic.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:20 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 pm SSJ4 all the way. Best design and best personality + actually makes sense without introducing new concepts out of ass. Since when saiyans had anything to do with gods? Also, SSJG was completely wasted concept just like every god form.

Still, i think SSJG is pretty cool form and probably the only form in DBS that i respect. MUCH better than ridiculous SSJ Blue or SSJ Rose.
This so much this SSJ4 makes so much sense in the lore and SSG and SSGSS are completely dumb. The whole concept of God ki is so lame.

All the DBS forms/transformations feel like Toy commercials.
Last edited by Tylerman29 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 am
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 amSuper Saiyan God should just be called Saiyan God while Super Saiyan Blue should be called Super Saiyan God.
I think they would've done that had they planned on BOG being the first story of something bigger from the start, but due to the franchise being untested, they went into BOG with the assumption that it would be the only thing they do.
Even still, they could have retrospectively renamed the forms. When they were coming up with a name for SSJB, noting that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan sounded ridiculous, they could have decided then to call the red form Saiyan God, and the blue form SSJG.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Honestly I would have liked SSG if it were a development of Ultimate Gohan instead of a god like form. Plus it was wasted, like SSB isn't even as cool

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:24 pm

SSG for sure.

God ki really isn't this whole complicated thing. Toriyama's not that kind of guy. God ki is this ki that is so insanely strong that normal people can't even sense it. It's like the energy of the universe itself. You don't realize you're breathing air, so how can you sense it? Kind of the same thing with god ki.

So obtaining SSG is really just obtaining the next level of power for a saiyan, and I like that simplicity, as well as the simplicity of the design. Sleek, cool aura, more of a calm transformation hence the hair not standing on end like regular SS. The ritual was cool for the purposes of the movie, and I like that Vegeta obtaining it proves that the ritual only helps speeds things along, but is not actually necessary.

SS4 on the other hand...well, I like the hair design, and don't mind the eyes, but that's about it. I don't like the fur, and I don't like Toei's insistence on giving Goku and Vegeta completely new outfits upon transformation.

I also am in agreement that both forms should drop the "super" title and be God Saiyan and I dunno, Mastered Great Ape. Kind of like Ultra Instinct isn't a super saiyan transformation, it's a technique. Lastly, I wish SSG had stuck around as the main powerup for more than just BoG. It got even less screentime than SS2 or SS3.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:59 pm

SSG for me. I am more a fan of simple designs, and I also love how God also makes the user slimmer.

SS4 changes Goku and Vegeta too much, it makes them look too ferocious and aliens. They really don’t look like martial artists in the form, and I dislike how they always have to end up shirtless in it (cause frankly they would look stupid if it didn’t make them shirtless).

The conclusion is that in my opinion SSG is more suited for what Dragon Ball always was: a mystical kung fu story, while SS4 fits more with what the series was becoming: a sci-fi space opera.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 am

Visually the SSJG transformation is awfully underwhelming for the supposed significance of it.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:06 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:20 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 pm SSJ4 all the way. Best design and best personality + actually makes sense without introducing new concepts out of ass. Since when saiyans had anything to do with gods? Also, SSJG was completely wasted concept just like every god form.

This so much this SSJ4 makes so much sense in the lore and SSG and SSGSS are completely dumb. The whole concept of God ki is so lame.

All the DBS forms/transformations feel like Toy commercials.
This is how I feel. At this point, if they need more toy sales they just make a new color swap.