"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:43 pm not all are .. and Goku black's pose is very generic
Couple things:

1. It's not just the pose. It's the pose combined with the facial expression combined with that stringy flame aura that you only ever see from Rosé in the manga. The aura is an especially important detail, since it literally doesn't look like that in the anime.

One of the most iconic panels of the Goku Black arc is Rosé's introduction. There's only one figure in this entire set that refers to the TV series, and it's the one with Goku and Freeza.

2. You posted fan art, not a screenshot from the anime.
emperior wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:30 pm I wonder if they will ever make Moro figures too. The arc is quite popular now because it’s the only medium that’s continuing the story.
I've no idea why they're still treating the anime as the main vehicle for merchandise but it's nice to have manga figures as a possibility now. It is a bit unfortunate that they'd rather release a million different Ultra Instinct figures, nearly all of which are based directly on the TV version's adaptation of that design.

With merch of both mediums existing in unison, at least there would be some variety.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:44 pm

The Undying wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:43 pm not all are .. and Goku black's pose is very generic
Couple things:

1. It's not just the pose. It's the pose combined with the facial expression combined with that stringy flame aura that you only ever see from Rosé in the manga. The aura is an especially important detail, since it literally doesn't look like that in the anime.

One of the most iconic panels of the Goku Black arc is Rosé's introduction. There's only one figure in this entire set that refers to the TV series, and it's the one with Goku and Freeza.

2. You posted fan art, not a screenshot from the anime.
at least in that image the facial expression is not noticeable

is this scene in the anime ... exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KfrXk-J-aQ
Last edited by Tai Lung on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:47 pm

The Undying wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 pm I've no idea why they're still treating the anime as the main vehicle for merchandise but it's nice to have manga figures as a possibility now. It is a bit unfortunate that they'd rather release a million different Ultra Instinct figures, nearly all of which are based directly on the TV version's adaptation of that design.

With merch of both mediums existing in unison, at least there would be some variety.
I have never bought any figures from DBS but if they made a UI figure based on the manga's slim design then I might consider it.

Especially one based on this pose.
Well... actually the Goku Black transformation one from the manga actually is the most dope pose I've seen from his lineups so I might consider it too.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:20 am

I don't know how long this has been going on in Weekly Jump, but most months lately, there have been V-Jump promo pages that contain small comic strips that make meta-jokes about the most recent DBS manga chapter. Some months are better than others, but I really appreciated the one from this month:

https://twitter.com/peraperayume/status ... 34112?s=21

Is anyone collecting these?

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:00 am

batistabus wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:20 am I don't know how long this has been going on in Weekly Jump, but most months lately, there have been V-Jump promo pages that contain small comic strips that make meta-jokes about the most recent DBS manga chapter. Some months are better than others, but I really appreciated the one from this month:

https://twitter.com/peraperayume/status ... 34112?s=21

Is anyone collecting these?
Ah I've been looking for a translation for that one! Yes, I look forward to seeing those. I'm not collecting per se, but I do have the image of each little strip downloaded (but they're scattered around my gallery lol). One I've been trying to look for for a while is one of Merus and Jaco - it's based off chapter 51 where Jaco's insulting Merus's hair etc. I have the image, but not the translation.
But yes, they are always a nice little extra. I wish they could put them in the printed volumes as short omakes or something, but as they're done from someone different to Toyo and are more V-jump exclusive "gag" strips than anything I suppose it would be difficult.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:06 pm

BTW, here are the Broly Dracap figures that were discussed earlier:

https://mobile.twitter.com/baggie_saiya ... 2411126785
caire wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:00 am Ah I've been looking for a translation for that one! Yes, I look forward to seeing those. I'm not collecting per se, but I do have the image of each little strip downloaded (but they're scattered around my gallery lol). One I've been trying to look for for a while is one of Merus and Jaco - it's based off chapter 51 where Jaco's insulting Merus's hair etc. I have the image, but not the translation.
But yes, they are always a nice little extra. I wish they could put them in the printed volumes as short omakes or something, but as they're done from someone different to Toyo and are more V-jump exclusive "gag" strips than anything I suppose it would be difficult.
As long as someone at Kanzenshuu is collecting WSJ, hopefully these don't vanish into the aether. It'd make a cool page in the "Translations" archive.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:13 pm

I’m not buying WJ (there’s nothing significant that warrants it right now) and I’m not actively archiving these.

There have been countless little columns like these over the years, and we just kinda have to draw the line somewhere!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:23 am

https://dragonball.news/news/n200213100.html

Just from this preview, I feel that the earthlings having their own fights is worth it. These give me the feeling I get reading the fights in early DB. Even though I know these battles are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, this is enjoyable manga.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:47 am

batistabus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:23 am https://dragonball.news/news/n200213100.html

Just from this preview, I feel that the earthlings having their own fights is worth it. These give me the feeling I get reading the fights in early DB. Even though I know these battles are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, this is enjoyable manga.
Hell yeah! Remember how crafty Krillin was thoughout the early WMATs? Great to see him going back to his roots.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 am

Agreed about the grounded but more tactical oriented choreography of the humans. Manga wise, these are the first solidly portrayed fights against named enemies in ages. It isn't nearly portrayed enough. I do admit that some details like Yunba rounding his way through a barrage of Kienzans doesn't sit well with me personally because the potency of the Kienzan was never really obfuscated in the manga as it was in the anime. Now this essentially coincides with what the anime has been endeavouring to show. I preferred the ambiguity, though, to be honest.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:14 am

Actually...apparently these are unused drafts for the chapter that came out last month. Huh. It seems to continue from the end of Chapter 56, so maybe 57 will start this way instead...if not, that's a shame. Still, it's cool to see a draft like this.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 am

Lionel wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 am Agreed about the grounded but more tactical oriented choreography of the humans. Manga wise, these are the first solidly portrayed fights against named enemies in ages. It isn't nearly portrayed enough. I do admit that some details like Yunba rounding his way through a barrage of Kienzans doesn't sit well with me personally because the potency of the Kienzan was never really obfuscated in the manga as it was in the anime. Now this essentially coincides with what the anime has been endeavouring to show. I preferred the ambiguity, though, to be honest.
Well at least he didn't flat-out tank the kienzans, he spinned them away.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:02 am

Lionel wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 am Agreed about the grounded but more tactical oriented choreography of the humans. Manga wise, these are the first solidly portrayed fights against named enemies in ages. It isn't nearly portrayed enough. I do admit that some details like Yunba rounding his way through a barrage of Kienzans doesn't sit well with me personally because the potency of the Kienzan was never really obfuscated in the manga as it was in the anime. Now this essentially coincides with what the anime has been endeavouring to show. I preferred the ambiguity, though, to be honest.
The ambiguity in the manga always created those “Taiyoken + Kienzan OP combo” discussions which were just pointless. There’s no way a braced Freeza should be killed by a Krillin’s Kienzan.
batistabus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:14 am Actually...apparently these are unused drafts for the chapter that came out last month. Huh. It seems to continue from the end of Chapter 56, so maybe 57 will start this way instead...if not, that's a shame. Still, it's cool to see a draft like this.
They did a mistake. These are drafts for Chapter 57 for sure. I don’t know why and how they messed it up... unless next chapter is actually longer and these were supposed to be Chapter 56 pages? But I doubt it.
Either way, it’s quite obvious that the manga is purposefully getting dragged. This is the complete opposite of the pacing seen in the Tournament of Power or any other Super’s manga arc.
I am 90% sure this will go on until at least October, with November being the start of a new arc, possibly set after a new movie if we get a movie in December.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:52 am

So Toyotaro has now tweeted about it, implying that it is going to be a continuous thing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vju ... 3482458113

It seems as though it is chapter 57's draft and that they made a mistake, it follows very naturally from where 56 left off. Either way though, it's still a nice surprise.
If we are going to get drafts released every month, that would be a great thing to look forward to, especially as the wait between chapters is pretty long.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:12 am

caire wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:52 am So Toyotaro has now tweeted about it, implying that it is going to be a continuous thing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vju ... 3482458113

It seems as though it is chapter 57's draft and that they made a mistake, it follows very naturally from where 56 left off. Either way though, it's still a nice surprise.
If we are going to get drafts released every month, that would be a great thing to look forward to, especially as the wait between chapters is pretty long.
Nice, we will have something to look forward too. It’s the closest to a bi-monthly release we will be getting.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:11 am

wolflonnie wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 am
Well at least he didn't flat-out tank the kienzans, he spinned them away.
It looks to me like he’s able to deflect the Kienzan as long he doesn't touch the borders. As soon as the Kienzan's border touched Yunba’s face he was cut.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 am

What boggles me is leaving Roshi out of the fight(unless they are saving him for later). Didn't he dodge fucking Jiren?

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 am

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 am What boggles me is leaving Roshi out of the fight(unless they are saving him for later). Didn't he dodge fucking Jiren?
Him and Kuririn are about to fight the girls, aren’t they?

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 am What boggles me is leaving Roshi out of the fight(unless they are saving him for later). Didn't he dodge fucking Jiren?
That is mentioned in the draft.
Last edited by Liquir on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:41 pm

I was referring to the previous chapter, not the one that comes out next week. It boggled me that Yamcha joined the fight and Roshi didn't but like I thought they were saving him for later. I'm not laying eyes on spoilers, though.