FUNimation's Big Green Moment XD!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

FUNimation's Big Green Moment XD!

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:35 am

Starts at 1:57:

https://youtu.be/tl0du0ujy8M

I dunno, I found it funny :lol: .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation's Big Green Moment XD!

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:44 am

???? I dont get it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:54 am

You mean that scene is Big Green because of the rushed way Goku is talking or it's something else I failed to notice?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:40 am

This is from the Z dub not Kai right? Sean Schemmel improved sooner than I remembered. For some reason I thought he was doing that grrr serious voice 24/7 until Dragon Ball

Saying he and Vegeta were evenly matched was stupid.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:59 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:40 am This is from the Z dub not Kai right?
Correct.
Tian wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:54 am You mean that scene is Big Green because of the rushed way Goku is talking or it's something else I failed to notice?
Yeah, because of how rushed it was, and how wordy the dialogue was.

It's how I think of the Big Green dub. Incredibly wordy dialogue that the actors can only barely fit into the animation.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 pm

Thing that stands out the most there for me is the awkward, flat delivery from everybody. Sounds like a bunch of non-actors reading lines off a prompter for the first time. Abysmal direction going on here. Astounds me that people call Funi's work on the Boo arc anything even approaching decent. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:29 pm

There's a real "big green" moment in the Blue Water dub: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/12 ... YDAgLI.mp4

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 pm Thing that stands out the most there for me is the awkward, flat delivery from everybody. Sounds like a bunch of non-actors reading lines off a prompter for the first time. Abysmal direction going on here. Astounds me that people call Funi's work on the Boo arc anything even approaching decent. :lol:
It honestly sounds about on par with Kai hence my confusion. I suppose that speaks more about how little actually improved from Z to Kai.

Makes me think Kai just looks way better acting wise because fans are mostly comparing it to their performances in 1999/2000

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 pm Thing that stands out the most there for me is the awkward, flat delivery from everybody. Sounds like a bunch of non-actors reading lines off a prompter for the first time. Abysmal direction going on here. Astounds me that people call Funi's work on the Boo arc anything even approaching decent. :lol:
I disagree. They all sound like they're doing their best with the poorly prepared dialogue they have; especially Schemmel.
kei17 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:29 pm There's a real "big green" moment in the Blue Water dub: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/12 ... YDAgLI.mp4
...HA!

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:09 pm

Can't fault the actors here, who could make that crap dialogue work?
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Arteaga4K wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:09 pm Can't fault the actors here, who could make that crap dialogue work?
Probably no one, knowing what I do now about how this was most of their first gig I'm surprised its not even worse

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:33 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:29 pm There's a real "big green" moment in the Blue Water dub: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/12 ... YDAgLI.mp4
Thank you for that; gave me a good laugh. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:53 pm

Even those who were considered the best actors in that dub like Hebert, Edwards and Bailey had really stiff deliveries at times.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Yeah, the Buu arc is sort of a middle ground. While most definitely improved, and a lot of the newer VAs were good, the difference between this and The Final Chapters is like night and day, even with the same cast.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:00 am

That's hilarious, takes me back :lol:

I'm guessing it was intentional since AB also owns the Canadian dubs?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:16 pm

I don't think it's intentional at all. At the very most, AB Groupe distributed the dub to the UK and Europe, provided the video and M/E masters to run over, and maybe in some instances also provided the French dub script (I mean a couple points shortly after King Piccolo's death the Nyoibo/Power Pole is referred to as the Magic Stick, which is what the Big Green dub called it in DBZ Movie 2 and presumably what the French dub called it). Piccolo's name remains Piccolo in this dub, however.

Remember, the name of "Big Green" originated with the Big Green dub. The French dub called King Piccolo "Satan" and Piccolo Jr. "Satan Petit-Coer". The only way the reference could be intentional is if the dub team saw one of the Big Green movies beforehand.

Since BW DB copied it's script from the Funimation dub for a large part of the series, I'd really like to know what the equivalent Funi line is in this episode. If Funi also says "a big green situation" than the reference is definitely unintentional.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Well then, I can confirm the equivalent Funi line is "All units to Gate 3! Emergency! Emergency!" The sub line appears to be "This is Gate 3! We've got a serious situation here!". And just to be on the safe side I also looked at the French line. I can't speak French, so I piped in the dialogue to Google Translate. It couldn't make the first sentence out... but the second one was "Envoyer du renfort! envoyer du renfort!" (roughly translates to "Send reinforcements! Send reinforcements!")
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Speaking of the Big Green dub, I was actually able to listen to the podcast on here about that specific dub via the wayback machine, so here ya go:https://web.archive.org/web/20111011080 ... -10-10.mp3
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku