How did you feel the first time you saw Bulma's panties in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

How did you feel the first time you saw Bulma's panties in Dragon Ball?

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:44 pm

Like we all grew up with the series, mostly when we were kids and seeing something like that was probably surprising for most kids in western countries.

How did you react?

For me I was at first shocked but I think even at that age I was liking what I was seeing.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How did you feel the first time you saw Bulma's panties in Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm

I mean I know what underwear looks like and it’s not like Bulma was wearing sexy underwear with those polka dots and what not.

Bulma’s panties being shown were removed in the tv airings anyways.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Manga tho i got it at half price books. Started my sexual journey in a weird way

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Indifferent. I never found her attractive TBH.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 pm

Umm..well..idk? lol :P I honestly didn't think it was a big deal. I remember seeing Sable on wrestling all the time and enjoyed that. lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:22 pm

Well, I was a 11-12 year old girl at the time, I didn't care.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:54 pm

I couldn't believe I was watching the same show as I was with Dragon Ball Z.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:07 am

Is this arousal-bait or something??

Anyways, I'll just quote Goku on this one: "What do I care about your dirty old fanny??"

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:07 am Is this arousal-bait or something??

Anyways, I'll just quote Goku on this one: "What do I care about your dirty old fanny??"

That sequence was so confusing when I first read it. I think my sister put it best. "He's like ten, you dumb bitch."
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:23 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 am That sequence was so confusing when I first read it. I think my sister put it best. "He's like ten, you dumb bitch."
As someone who watches over K-8 (and some High School)...

I've seen some pretty perverted 10 year olds. Whether they were actually that way, or just regurgitating what they saw on TV is unclear... But regardless, they're definitely not innocent.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:34 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:23 am
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 am That sequence was so confusing when I first read it. I think my sister put it best. "He's like ten, you dumb bitch."
As someone who watches over K-8 (and some High School)...

I've seen some pretty perverted 10 year olds. Whether they were actually that way, or just regurgitating what they saw on TV is unclear... But regardless, they're definitely not innocent.
Oh I know. There's loads of prematurely horny kids out there. Just a natural part of pre-adolescence and figuring out where your own boundaries are. But Bulma is 16. Why is she offering to get felt up by what looks like a 9 year old?

To be clear, I like the joke. The vain, self centered city girl caught off guard by the country hick's innocence is a great gag.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:52 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:34 am Oh I know. There's loads of prematurely horny kids out there. Just a natural part of pre-adolescence and figuring out where your own boundaries are. But Bulma is 16. Why is she offering to get felt up by what looks like a 9 year old?

To be clear, I like the joke. The vain, self centered city girl caught off guard by the country hick's innocence is a great gag.
Ohhh... Wait a minute. I thought we were talking about when Goku took her panties off, and they had that whole thing about her "balls" missing! And then she got all upset with him about it.

My bad!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:12 am

Forget Bulma's panties, I was shocked when I first saw a clip of her flashing Muten Roshi and showing us her naked butt, making me think Dragon Ball was an adults-only anime! :shock:
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:07 am Is this arousal-bait or something??

That sequence was so confusing when I first read it. I think my sister put it best. "He's like ten, you dumb bitch."
She also should have picked on him being too young/innocent for that sort of thing when he was confused by her “no funny business” comment earlier.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:41 am

Honestly, I can't think of anything particularly erotic in Dragon Ball. I don't really feel like Toriyama was all the into genuinely drawing something for masturbation-use.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:08 pm

i think the first time I saw DB uncensored I was like 12. So I was a little surprised and then moved on.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:25 pm

It didn't surprise me at all because most kids that I knew would laugh at stuff like that because it's underwear. When I was a kid, I knew many kids would laugh at nudity or stuff related to it because it was silly. You had kids at my school that would be like "OMG he is naked :lol: !!! or "Boobies :lol: :lol: ". I never grew up in a conservative area, so no one was really super strict on stuff like crude humor or violence. Nearly every kid that I knew from PK-5th and onwards would watch stuff like South Park, The Simpsons, Beavis and Butt-Head, etc.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:41 am Honestly, I can't think of anything particularly erotic in Dragon Ball. I don't really feel like Toriyama was all the into genuinely drawing something for masturbation-use.
Especially when you compare it to everything else people would have been reading/watching. Now I wasn't alive for all but a year of the 80s so I'm hardly an expert but this was the heyday of statuesque blondes and chainmail bikinis. Western scifi geeks were still living in the spirit of Heavy Metal and pulp fantasy like the Eternal Champion series. Half naked women with long legs and shapely breasts were everywhere.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:11 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:43 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:41 am Honestly, I can't think of anything particularly erotic in Dragon Ball. I don't really feel like Toriyama was all the into genuinely drawing something for masturbation-use.
Especially when you compare it to everything else people would have been reading/watching. Now I wasn't alive for all but a year of the 80s so I'm hardly an expert but this was the heyday of statuesque blondes and chainmail bikinis. Western scifi geeks were still living in the spirit of Heavy Metal and pulp fantasy like the Eternal Champion series. Half naked women with long legs and shapely breasts were everywhere.
And, meanwhile, Japanese 'anime' and 'manga' style characters were increasingly moving away from gekiga-style in the 1970s to shoujo and then bishoujo-style. From what I know about Toriyama--as well as his art style and evolution--he didn't seem to have come from the Comic Market and club scene, where men were beginning to draw shoujo and then Azuma Hideo pioneered bishoujo (shoujo-style combined with Tezuka-style) and lolicon comics. Toriyama claims to have not been all that into comics at the time so that influence didn't really pour over.

Meanwhile, we have someone like Kishimoto Masashi, who started with a seinen/Ootomo-esque style and then mixed in the occasional Otaku element, like large breasts or moe personality and dialogue.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm

I'm also someone who grew up in a female household since 1997. I already knew what women underwear was, and they are still clothes by the end of the day to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/