A couple or one sided romance?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodPrince91

Re: A couple or one sided romance?

Post by GodPrince91 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:22 pm

Most likely they are extremely close friends and have a "sister" type of bond

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:47 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm Maybe they're friends who occassionally throw each other a bone during a dry spell?
They're women-loving-women but not actually in a relationship? What? Why are you taking the extra and unnecessary step of just erasing the possibility of two women--whom you deem women-loving-women--being in a relationship? Like, I really don't understand this logic at all.
It was a joke. I'm riffing on the idea that all friendships are strictly platonic and that friends don't sometimes hook up when there's nothing else going on in their lives.
Ah, I see. The internet is a fickle mistress.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:31 am

They're best friends. Kale is just very insecure and scared of being alone. The Berserker form is her way of acting out those feelings and her possessiveness.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:36 am

Best friends/sisters. Women can be very touchy-feely and are better at expressing their feelings. I don't understand why some people think that we can't show a lot of love and affection to someone without loving them in a romantic way. I'd call it platonic love.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:36 am Best friends/sisters. Women can be very touchy-feely and are better at expressing their feelings. I don't understand why some people think that we can't show a lot of love and affection to someone without loving them in a romantic way. I'd call it platonic love.
Women-loving-women get so little representation that we have to read into subtext. Additionally, being a romantic-pairing is a natural conclusion to their interactions in the story arc.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:55 pm

I don't think there's a romance at all.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:14 pm

Doctor. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:55 pm I don't think there's a romance at all.
How'd you get your account back?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:14 pm
Doctor. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:55 pm I don't think there's a romance at all.
It was only a year ban.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Doctor. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 pm
It was only a year ban.
Oh I thought it was permanent.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:46 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm Maybe they're friends who occassionally throw each other a bone during a dry spell?
They're women-loving-women but not actually in a relationship? What? Why are you taking the extra and unnecessary step of just erasing the possibility of two women--whom you deem women-loving-women--being in a relationship? Like, I really don't understand this logic at all.
I don’t know if you’re trolling or are genuinely unaware of the concept of “friends with benefits.”

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:04 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:46 pm
I don’t know if you’re trolling or are genuinely unaware of the concept of “friends with benefits.”
I know what FwB are. My point is that it's upsetting to see people want to interpret these characters that way.

It's rough being the only (?) Women-loving-woman in a thread where the only replies are seemingly coming from cishet men. :|
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:07 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:19 pm
Scientist Fu wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:36 am Best friends/sisters. Women can be very touchy-feely and are better at expressing their feelings. I don't understand why some people think that we can't show a lot of love and affection to someone without loving them in a romantic way. I'd call it platonic love.
Women-loving-women get so little representation that we have to read into subtext. Additionally, being a romantic-pairing is a natural conclusion to their interactions in the story arc.
I personally don't see them as lovers, but if you want to see them as such then I have nothing to say.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:14 pm

There's definitely some lesbian undertones coming from Kale. Caulifla just sees her as a disciple (albeit a valuable one).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Zamasu Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zamasu Black » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:50 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 pmWhat are your guys thoughts?
They're close friends and absolutely nothing more.

There's some fans who try and make out they have lesbian undertones. They don't.

Thats nothing more than pure wish fulfillment because they are desperate to see their own unique sexual preferances included in the show so that can feel represented in some way.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:26 pm

There's nothing to really suggest that Caulifla and Kale are cishet. Meanwhile, you have series directors introducing and developing these characters who come from the Pretty Cure franchise, a franchise where girl characters are allowed to be in queer relationships as much as the studio can squeeze out under oppressive television broadcasters. The Tournament of Power was running just after and during PreCure series with strong queer representation, too. Kira Kira a la Mode and Hugtto have Yukari x Akira (whose entire character screams queer) while Hugtto had Emiru x Ruru and Masato x Henri. Both Henri and Akira are depicted as being gender queer with Henri even describing what it clearly gender dysphoria. If Kale and Caulifla were written to be 'just friends' they'd be much more apparently depicted as being cishet.

She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:26 pm There's nothing to really suggest that Caulifla and Kale are cishet. Meanwhile, you have series directors introducing and developing these characters who come from the Pretty Cure franchise, a franchise where girl characters are allowed to be in queer relationships as much as the studio can squeeze out under oppressive television broadcasters. The Tournament of Power was running just after and during PreCure series with strong queer representation, too. Kira Kira a la Mode and Hugtto have Yukari x Akira (whose entire character screams queer) while Hugtto had Emiru x Ruru and Masato x Henri. Both Henri and Akira are depicted as being gender queer with Henri even describing what it clearly gender dysphoria. If Kale and Caulifla were written to be 'just friends' they'd be much more apparently depicted as being cishet.

I think Kale definitely has a thing for Caulifla. But I'm not sure about the other way around.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:23 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:26 pm There's nothing to really suggest that Caulifla and Kale are cishet. Meanwhile, you have series directors introducing and developing these characters who come from the Pretty Cure franchise, a franchise where girl characters are allowed to be in queer relationships as much as the studio can squeeze out under oppressive television broadcasters. The Tournament of Power was running just after and during PreCure series with strong queer representation, too. Kira Kira a la Mode and Hugtto have Yukari x Akira (whose entire character screams queer) while Hugtto had Emiru x Ruru and Masato x Henri. Both Henri and Akira are depicted as being gender queer with Henri even describing what it clearly gender dysphoria. If Kale and Caulifla were written to be 'just friends' they'd be much more apparently depicted as being cishet.

I think Kale definitely has a thing for Caulifla. But I'm not sure about the other way around.
Caulifla's like Gokuu, focused only on badd. Chances are she either hasn't noticed or just doesn't think that she is good enough for Kale. While she gets frustrated with Kale she also believes in her deeply.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:36 pm
Doctor. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 pm

It was only a year ban.
Oh I thought it was permanent.
I admire your patience in waiting 1 year to get back into the discussions. But I also know it's hard to move on from Dragon Ball. :lol:

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:26 pm

No there’s no romance between either of the two and at best you can argue from kale perspective and that’s mainly in the anime and not in the manga

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 am

I feel like Caulifla is more likely to end up with Cabba if anything