Will we ever see an angel fighting seriously?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Will we ever see an angel fighting seriously?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:33 pm

The whole Merus situation in the manga seems to suggest not, which is disappointing.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Will we ever see an angel fighting seriously?

Post by Alruneia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Sure, why not. If Tori/Toyo/Toei want to keep going up and up in power, they will eventually introduce a villain who's strong enough to directly threaten the angels. Angels may be meant to be neutral, but I'm sure they're allowed to defend themselves if needed.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:46 am

Zamasu was fighting seriously, though I doubt he counts since he was a corrupted angel.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Broly深蓝

Post by Broly深蓝 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:46 am Zamasu was fighting seriously, though I doubt he counts since he was a corrupted angel.
Zamasu was not an angel, but I guess in some ways this is the closest approximation.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:29 am

Zamasu is not an "Angel" like Whis, Vados, etc., but he's basically an angel because he represents the fictional trope of the Fallen Angel and even had a halo. Regardless I think OP is referring to those characters who are explicitely called Angels in-universe (i.e. Grand Priest and his children), to which I reply that it possible and it will most likely happen. With the crazy power jumps between arcs, it won't be long before there's a villain who is Angel territory. Hearts from Heroes is basically that.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 am

Yes, in a situation when they have to defend themselves against something that has enough power to threaten them.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:51 pm

Self-preservation is about the closest you could come to seeing the angels participate in a fight. You would need to somehow translate that into a meaningful plot-point for an arc. Who all is strong enough to challenge angels, though? Toriyama could obviously devise someone new just for that specific purpose but would it make sense if it were just another previously unseen super ningen like Jiren or Broly?