Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:05 pm
dbgtFO wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:32 am What the hell is Spopovich even a pun on?
Sonofabitch?
I remember seeing a fan translation a long time ago write "vitch" as "bitchi", so I still sometimes refer to him as "Super Bitchy".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm

I am obligated to share this PARAGUAYAN MEME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHOJjWLhdk
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:57 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:52 pm
dbgtFO wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:32 am What the hell is Spopovich even a pun on?
That one has never been verified, I don't think. Neither has his partner Yamu. There was a rumor that it was based off of a famous Russian weight lifter, but I don't know anything about that.
Huh, that's odd and yeah the name ending with vich or bitch or whatever makes it seem like a slavic name.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:05 pm Sonofabitch?
lol

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 pm

It just occurred to me that Whis would be a more fitting name for Beerus. Whis -> Whisky -> Whiskers -> cats have whiskers. :lol:

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 pm

At what time did the original run anime (DB/Z/GT) air on Japan back in the 80's/90's? Morning or evening? Prime time?

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 pm

Witty User Name wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 pm At what time did the original run anime (DB/Z/GT) air on Japan back in the 80's/90's? Morning or evening? Prime time?
7 PM every Wednesday

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:47 pm

emi_b7 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 pm
Witty User Name wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 pm At what time did the original run anime (DB/Z/GT) air on Japan back in the 80's/90's? Morning or evening? Prime time?
7 PM every Wednesday
Thanks man.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 am

This is such a nitpick, but how come in the subtitles for the episode titles, they switch around the punctuation? The episode title might end with "Who Will Be The Winner!?", but the subtitle will read" Who Will Be the Winner?!"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:35 am

I've been collecting the Pioneer DVDs lately, and ended up landing a sealed copy of The Ginyu Force DVD. I noticed right away that the gradiant on the Dragon Ball Z logo was misprinted.

Was this a common misprint on these sets? Or a possible bootleg? (It has the proper security tag, so I kinda doubt it.)
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am

My Literature Professor says casual Dragon Ball fans fundamentally understand the franchise better than the hardcore base... He has convinced me that he's correct, though I'm not sold on why the discrepancy even exists.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:21 pm

According to FUNi, the Commander Red Saga goes from episode 58-67. Assistant Black dies in episode 68. Why? I get that Red dies in 67, but is that the end of the arc? It always bugs me when I have to change DVDs just to see the end of the Red Ribbon Army. Who made this obviously stupid decision?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:06 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am My Literature Professor says casual Dragon Ball fans fundamentally understand the franchise better than the hardcore base... He has convinced me that he's correct, though I'm not sold on why the discrepancy even exists.
Because it's just a fun show with charming characters based on punching people. I wouldn't say the "hardcore" fans don't get it. Usually the casual fans and hardcore fans get the show, even if they express themselves differently; it's the fans in the middle, so to speak, that try to make it out to be something that it is not. In my experience, this applies to just about everything though, not just Dragon Ball.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Doctor. wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:06 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am My Literature Professor says casual Dragon Ball fans fundamentally understand the franchise better than the hardcore base... He has convinced me that he's correct, though I'm not sold on why the discrepancy even exists.
Because it's just a fun show with charming characters based on punching people. I wouldn't say the "hardcore" fans don't get it. Usually the casual fans and hardcore fans get the show, even if they express themselves differently; it's the fans in the middle, so to speak, that try to make it out to be something that it is not. In my experience, this applies to just about everything though, not just Dragon Ball.
YUP!!!

That's basically what he said. He goes onto say the perfect illustration of this is the Buu saga. The hardcore hate it, but globally, it's the most popular story arc in anime history. Everyone's favorite thing in DB comes from that section of the story.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Found this really fascinating article a few years ago on why this franchise means so much to minorities(in this articles case black men):https://kotaku.com/why-black-men-love-d ... 1820481429
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:15 pm

On any of the streaming services that have Dragon Ball, do any of the series have the NEP's for DB, DBZ, or GT?

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:13 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:15 pm On any of the streaming services that have Dragon Ball, do any of the series have the NEP's for DB, DBZ, or GT?
Funimation's streaming service does not have the original NEP's for DBZ that aired on Cartoon Network(then again neither do the DVDs and Blu-Ray's)but it does have the re-recorded ones.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 am

Z has rerecorded NEPs on Funi's streaming service? This is the first I've heard of that. IIRC, the Orange Bricks, Season Blu-rays, and 30th Anniversary Blu-rays have no NEPs, and the Funi DBox only has Japanese NEPs, even on the English language track. Also AFAIK the UUC Z redub never had NEPs.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:31 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:10 pm Found this really fascinating article a few years ago on why this franchise means so much to minorities(in this articles case black men):https://kotaku.com/why-black-men-love-d ... 1820481429
I remember that piece! A few folks shared it during a discussion about The Last Dragon on reddit. However much weeb shit might be generally seen a white nerd thing, the black community has been one of the biggest consumers of Eastern media since at least the 70s
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Did we ever find out what Dr Gero's son's name was?

I know we found out #17 and #18 are Lapis and Lazuli (iirc in that order?), but I can't remember if Toriyama ever told us Gero's son's, which would therefore sort of be #16's.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:58 pmDid we ever find out what Dr Gero's son's name was?
Yes.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~