DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:35 am

Wow I loved this parody of my favorite series very much .. I feel bad that it's over but the laughter and good times will be remembered for a long time :D

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:48 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:31 pm I have real mixing feelings about this decision. I get wanting to move on and try new things, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about how well is going to go for TFS in terms of views. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel at least a little bit led on at times and I can't say i'm happy about being kept in the dark for months about the problems behind the scenes, but i'm not too bitter here. I always liked the Buu saga myself but I get why others don't and I can see how it would be difficult to do a fan-parody of it.

That being said now that TFS has decided to move on(at least for now)from DBZA, there's nothing stopping some other talented individuals out there from trying to do their own takes on the Buu saga, i'm genuinely excited to see what other talented DBZ creators are out there.
That's about how I feel about this whole thing.
I get it, I do. Feeling burned out and wanting to do something more. But the setup for the Buu Saga, the announcement of it being released like more traditional anime (like 12 episodes in 12 weeks or something similar), and otherwise no announcement until now about not doing it anymore... Its kind of frustrating.

And while it is "open" now, I'm not sure we'll see a genuine attempt at the Buu Saga. As it takes a lot of time, effort, and people to do that.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 am

Seeing as they've changed their minds a half a dozen times on whether or not to continue with the series over the last few years, I think it's possible they'll reconsider at a later date, maybe when they're not so burnt out.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 am

wjbraden wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 am Seeing as they've changed their minds a half a dozen times on whether or not to continue with the series over the last few years, I think it's possible they'll reconsider at a later date, maybe when they're not so burnt out.
Right, I can't help but see this playing out much like Nostalgia Critic coming back after Doug Walker attempted to kill off NC and replace it with Demo Reel(as like TFS, Doug wanted to do other things and with SOPA/PIPA there was a real concern from internet reviewers of not being able to keep doing their jobs any longer due to copyright BS). While some people liked Demo Reel, the views just simply weren't there and it was decreasing traffic to Channel Awesome as a whole. So there was pretty much no choice but to bring NC back as otherwise CA itself could've easily gone the way of the Dodo, however the break from NC actually led to Doug being able to rediscover his passion for the character and for reviewing movies after previously suffering from burnout. Say whatever you want about CA and it's management(and i've said plenty elsewhere), but you can't deny Doug has real passion for what he does(even in misguided experiments like The Wall review)you don't consistently crank out videos almost every week for over a decade if you have no passion for what you're doing, and whatever else CA have done, i'll always respect Doug for his work ethic.

Considering TFS used to be a part of Channel Awesome i'm sure the whole Demo Reel thing has definitely been on their minds, perhaps they too will one day get an urge to back to DBZA, only time will tell.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Now I'm wondering if we're just going to get another Demo Reel situation here. Other projects are pretty hit and miss so far as well as only recieving a fraction of the viewership.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:48 pm

I'm glad TFS pulling are the plug on DBZA now rather than continuing to do something they've obviously felt quite burnt out on. Your product will ALWAYS suffer in quality the moment you're not having fun with it anymore. Because when you are having fun with your own creation, the more dedicated you are to it, and the more effort you'll put into it being the best quality it can be.

It was a great 10+ years of content. And at least they ended on a high note.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:53 pm

I wonder if someone's going to come along and be the "Blue Water" era of the series; just pick up where the original series left off and do a radically different take on the material.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 am Right, I can't help but see this playing out much like Nostalgia Critic coming back after Doug Walker attempted to kill off NC and replace it with Demo Reel (as, like TFS, Doug wanted to do other things and with SOPA/PIPA there was a real concern from internet reviewers of not being able to keep doing their jobs any longer due to copyright BS). While some people liked Demo Reel, the views just simply weren't there and it was decreasing traffic to Channel Awesome as a whole. So there was pretty much no choice but to bring NC back as otherwise CA itself could've easily gone the way of the Dodo, however the break from NC actually led to Doug being able to rediscover his passion for the character and for reviewing movies after previously suffering from burnout. Say whatever you want about CA and it's management (and i've said plenty elsewhere), but you can't deny Doug has real passion for what he does (even in misguided experiments like The Wall review) you don't consistently crank out videos almost every week for over a decade if you have no passion for what you're doing, and whatever else CA have done, i'll always respect Doug for his work ethic.

Considering TFS used to be a part of Channel Awesome i'm sure the whole Demo Reel thing has definitely been on their minds, perhaps they too will one day get an urge to back to DBZA, only time will tell.
I mean, if Demo Reel was on their minds, I'm sure they took that into consideration considering they addressed that they were most likely not gonna have as many eyes on them in the Patreon post & YT video.

Here's the thing about Doug. He actually doesn't have any passion for what he does. He literally does everything he does for money. No other reasons. He loves to make skits & shitty parodies, but that's about all I can give him. Most of his 2013-on NC reviews aren't that good. They're terrible reviews & they stopped being legitimately funny a long time ago. The only ones I can say are 100% good are the ones where he clearly actually has a good point with reviewing. Patch Adams, The Last Airbender, Sharkboy & Lavagirl, & Spy Kids 3 are all legitimately funny reviews. Maybe Scooby-Doo as well. But, Doug's become increasingly cynical over the years & his ego has definitely not helped. The Wall was probably his worst review of all of the bad ones. He completely misunderstood everything about the album & film, then tried to apply the social commentary in the film poorly to the Change the Channel situation on his side of the argument. As Lani put it in the video, they wanted to avoid being cynical about their work, which I commend them for.
dbzfan7 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm Now I'm wondering if we're just going to get another Demo Reel situation here. Other projects are pretty hit and miss so far as well as only receiving a fraction of the viewership.
The main difference here is that TFS are actually talented writers & creative too. Doug Walker really isn't, since Demo Reel was a rip-off of a Jack Black movie Be Kind, Rewind & he had to backpedal back to the NC not only because people weren't interested in it, but because Demo Reel wasn't that good, as well as was just limited to Channel Awesome's site. If Doug had ANY confidence in Demo Reel, he would've found another way to keep it going. Granted, he also had CA as a company & other people to think about, which is the opposite situation here, since they make no money directly from DBZA outside of Patreon.

Whether or not the majority of DBZA fans tune in to the new stuff, I feel they'll also gain a new audience of people who like their new stuff, since these guys are legitimately talented writers & Doug Walker hasn't written anything nearly as good in years.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:13 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 am Right, I can't help but see this playing out much like Nostalgia Critic coming back after Doug Walker attempted to kill off NC and replace it with Demo Reel (as, like TFS, Doug wanted to do other things and with SOPA/PIPA there was a real concern from internet reviewers of not being able to keep doing their jobs any longer due to copyright BS). While some people liked Demo Reel, the views just simply weren't there and it was decreasing traffic to Channel Awesome as a whole. So there was pretty much no choice but to bring NC back as otherwise CA itself could've easily gone the way of the Dodo, however the break from NC actually led to Doug being able to rediscover his passion for the character and for reviewing movies after previously suffering from burnout. Say whatever you want about CA and it's management (and i've said plenty elsewhere), but you can't deny Doug has real passion for what he does (even in misguided experiments like The Wall review) you don't consistently crank out videos almost every week for over a decade if you have no passion for what you're doing, and whatever else CA have done, i'll always respect Doug for his work ethic.

I mean, if Demo Reel was on their minds, I'm sure they took that into consideration considering they addressed that they were most likely not gonna have as many eyes on them in the Patreon post & YT video.

Here's the thing about Doug. He actually doesn't have any passion for what he does. He literally does everything he does for money. No other reasons. He loves to make skits & shitty parodies, but that's about all I can give him. Most of his 2013-on NC reviews aren't that good. They're terrible reviews & they stopped being legitimately funny a long time ago. The only ones I can say are 100% good are the ones where he clearly actually has a good point with reviewing. Patch Adams, The Last Airbender, Sharkboy & Lavagirl, & Spy Kids 3 are all legitimately funny reviews. Maybe Scooby-Doo as well. But, Doug's become increasingly cynical over the years & his ego has definitely not helped. The Wall was probably his worst review of all of the bad ones. He completely misunderstood everything about the album & film, then tried to apply the social commentary in the film poorly to the Change the Channel situation on his side of the argument. As Lani put it in the video, they wanted to avoid being cynical about their work, which I commend them for.
dbzfan7 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm Now I'm wondering if we're just going to get another Demo Reel situation here. Other projects are pretty hit and miss so far as well as only receiving a fraction of the viewership.
The main difference here is that TFS are actually talented writers & creative too. Doug Walker really isn't, since Demo Reel was a rip-off of a Jack Black movie Be Kind, Rewind & he had to backpedal back to the NC not only because people weren't interested in it, but because Demo Reel wasn't that good, as well as was just limited to Channel Awesome's site. If Doug had ANY confidence in Demo Reel, he would've found another way to keep it going. Granted, he also had CA as a company & other people to think about, which is the opposite situation here, since they make no money directly from DBZA outside of Patreon.

Whether or not the majority of DBZA fans tune in to the new stuff, I feel they'll also gain a new audience of people who like their new stuff, since these guys are legitimately talented writers & Doug Walker hasn't written anything nearly as good in years.
I would strongly disagree about Doug not having passion, he's put a pretty impressive amount of effort into some of his videos even if I don't always like them(never really cared for the clipless reviews of current movies still in theaters).

For anyone that says Doug has no passion, I don't think they've seen any truly lazy hacky content creators, for me someone who has zero passion and is clearly only doing it for the money is someone like DarkSydePhil, that guy has nothing but contempt for his own fans and has been accused of ripping people off via Patreon. After seeing hacks like that, I just cannot honestly see where people are coming from when they say Doug has no passion.

I think Doug is quite talented but I can see why others don't(I think his review of that horrible Nutcracker 3-D movie is really damn good) and I think he has still written plenty of good stuff in recent years. I'd argue he's better then he was before the attempt to kill off NC, mainly because he has other talented actors to play off like Malcolm, Tamara and Rachel. I can see why others don't like the sketches but I find them legitimately funny for the most part, different strokes for different folks, comedy is subjective and all that(I for one personally never found Red Letter Media remotely funny or talented, to me they always came off as arrogant and elitist D-bags).

Wall review wasn't great, but I wouldn't call it one of the worst things ever either, I wasn't bothered by it like most were(probably because i'm not someone who's big on musicals to begin with so I never held The Wall in very high regard to start with, so I didn't get that wounded sense of betrayal that others did)

I definitely don't see how Doug only does this for the money at all, i'm not getting that vibe in the least and personally I genuinely don't see it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Will they continue the short clips of Abridged Super like that Goku vs. Black clip?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:31 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:23 pm Will they continue the short clips of Abridged Super like that Goku vs. Black clip?
They haven't done one of those in, like, 3 years, so I'd say those might be done with. All they HAVE said is that the ShortZ will continue for now, since they already have several more in production right now.
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm I would strongly disagree about Doug not having passion, he's put a pretty impressive amount of effort into some of his videos even if I don't always like them(never really cared for the clipless reviews of current movies still in theaters).

For anyone that says Doug has no passion, I don't think they've seen any truly lazy hacky content creators, for me someone who has zero passion and is clearly only doing it for the money is someone like DarkSydePhil, that guy has nothing but contempt for his own fans and has been accused of ripping people off via Patreon. After seeing hacks like that, I just cannot honestly see where people are coming from when they say Doug has no passion.

I think Doug is quite talented but I can see why others don't (I think his review of that horrible Nutcracker 3-D movie is really damn good) and I think he has still written plenty of good stuff in recent years. I'd argue he's better than he was before the attempt to kill off NC, mainly because he has other talented actors to play off like Malcolm, Tamara and Rachel. I can see why others don't like the sketches but I find them legitimately funny for the most part, different strokes for different folks, comedy is subjective and all that (I for one personally never found Red Letter Media remotely funny or talented, to me they always came off as arrogant and elitist D-bags).

Wall review wasn't great, but I wouldn't call it one of the worst things ever either, I wasn't bothered by it like most were (probably because i'm not someone who's big on musicals to begin with so I never held The Wall in very high regard to start with, so I didn't get that wounded sense of betrayal that others did).

I definitely don't see how Doug only does this for the money at all, i'm not getting that vibe in the least and personally I genuinely don't see it.
I didn't say Doug was lazy. What I meant about his lack of passion is his lack of care to give poignant reviews 99% of the time. He's done over 500 reviews for the NC & I can only think about half a dozen or so that actually made good points. That's bad. He clearly cares more about doing skits & parodies than reviews, on top of his reviews being tainted by the cynicism he regularly injects into the NC character slowly becoming a part of how he looks at all movies regardless of their actual quality combined with the fact that he's forced to do the NC for views & money, which he has sprinkled in jokes about that being the case in the past, which HAVE to come from somewhere.
Hell, when you take into account that Demo reel flopped with viewership, which caused them not to make as much money. Everyone who was on CA during that time remembered how total views went down because the NC was over, since this was before YT got more lenient with copyright & put in better things to deal with it, so they didn't have a viable place to fall back on for views. You cannot deny that it played a major role when you know that fact.

The Wall review was absolutely one of the worst NC videos I've ever seen & I've seen the Sailor Moon & Hocus Pocus ones (the first of which being clearly something Doug did just because & the second not actually being a review, but a long, unfunny sketch instead of a review). Even before the Change the Channel bullshit, I was getting close to stopping watching the NC altogether just because of how bad it had legitimately gotten since 2014. He just had so many bad opinions of movies, his fanbase, & other things that pissed me off about Doug. I long since stopped watching in 2018, but The Wall was something I couldn't avoid. It was clearly a desperate attempt at relevancy he didn't deserve. He jumped the shark. Granted, he's jumped the shark a few times, so I guess that's just the latest time he did.
Last edited by Scsigs on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:31 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:23 pm Will they continue the short clips of Abridged Super like that Goku vs. Black clip?
They haven't done one of those in, like, 3 years, so I'd say those might be done with. All they HAVE said is that the ShortZ will continue for now, since they already have several more in production right now.
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm I would strongly disagree about Doug not having passion, he's put a pretty impressive amount of effort into some of his videos even if I don't always like them(never really cared for the clipless reviews of current movies still in theaters).

I think Doug is quite talented but I can see why others don't (I think his review of that horrible Nutcracker 3-D movie is really damn good) and I think he has still written plenty of good stuff in recent years. I'd argue he's better than he was before the attempt to kill off NC, mainly because he has other talented actors to play off like Malcolm, Tamara and Rachel. I can see why others don't like the sketches but I find them legitimately funny for the most part, different strokes for different folks, comedy is subjective and all that (I for one personally never found Red Letter Media remotely funny or talented, to me they always came off as arrogant and elitist D-bags).

Wall review wasn't great, but I wouldn't call it one of the worst things ever either, I wasn't bothered by it like most were (probably because i'm not someone who's big on musicals to begin with so I never held The Wall in very high regard to start with, so I didn't get that wounded sense of betrayal that others did).

I didn't say Doug was lazy. What I meant about his lack of passion is his lack of care to give poignant reviews 99% of the time. He's done over 500 reviews for the NC & I can only think about half a dozen or so that actually made good points. That's bad. He clearly cares more about doing skits & parodies than reviews, on top of his reviews being tainted by the cynicism he regularly injects into the NC character slowly becoming a part of how he looks at all movies regardless of their actual quality combined with the fact that he's forced to do the NC for views & money, which he has sprinkled in jokes about that being the case in the past, which HAVE to come from somewhere.
Hell, when you take into account that Demo reel flopped with viewership, which caused them not to make as much money. Everyone who was on CA during that time remembered how total views went down because the NC was over, since this was before YT got more lenient with copyright & put in better things to deal with it, so they didn't have a viable place to fall back on for views. You cannot deny that it played a major role when you know that fact.

The Wall review was absolutely one of the worst NC videos I've ever seen & I've seen the Sailor Moon & Hocus Pocus ones (the first of which being clearly something Doug did just because & the second not actually being a review, but a long, unfunny sketch instead of a review). Even before the Change the Channel bullshit, I was getting close to stopping watching the NC altogether just because of how bad it had legitimately gotten since 2014. He just had so many bad opinions of movies, his fanbase, & other things that pissed me off about Doug. I long since stopped watching in 2018, but The Wall was something I couldn't avoid. It was clearly a desperate attempt at relevancy he didn't deserve. He jumped the shark. Granted, he's jumped the shark a few times, so I guess that's just the latest time he did.
Well that's your opinion, in mine he's made good points way more often then that.

I agree those videos weren't very good, but I wouldn't call them the worst things ever, IMO people have greatly exaggerated how bad they are(though perhaps i'm saying that because i've seen so so many worse reviews on Youtube then those).

I don't think most of Doug's opinions are inherently bad(for me most bad opinions i've seen on fictional media are by the comicsgate/gamergate crowd) at all.

As for CTC, I used to be a supporter of it until I found out that some members didn't practice what they preached about CA, that's all I'll say on here as I really don't want to derail this thread(well not anymore then I already have :mrgreen: ), if you want to learn more about what I mean, visit the CA sub-reddit or check out this great documentary by Cinematic Venom(who was initially on CTC's side until some other behind-the-scenes stuff happened), it's long but worth a watch:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8yrXbHtW6s

I'll PM you more if you really want to know.

I would disagree about that review being at attempt at relevancy, even Tony Goldmark said on twitter he didn't think that was the case, especially since it's not like The Wall was suddenly trending on social media at the time, so this wasn't an attempt to jump on a bandwagon. It was an honest if incredibly misguided attempt but it didn't feel cynical(you don't get Corey freaking Taylor from Slipknot in your video if you're just phoning it in).

I just don't see this supposed lack of passion you keep telling me about, their last review of Con Air looked they were genuinely having a great time(and I was happy to see Rachel again) i've been seeing people make similar claims about Angry Video Game Nerd having a "lack of passion" as well and i'm really not seeing it there either. This feels like one of those instances where i'm living in a parallel universe to everyone else as i'm genuinely not seeing what they see(though perhaps that's because of my autism).

StonewallJackson

Post by StonewallJackson » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 pm

If they're unwilling to go for the whole 30+ episodes and 5 movies that it would take to cover the post-Cell shit, why not at least do a Buu Kai Abridged? 4 episodes, 8ish minutes at a time, stretch the release over 2 years. No complicated edits or grand spectacles or any of that bullshit, just silly rapid fire humor that basically covers the whole arc.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 am

Eh I believe more than them than ever in Doug, but even still their track record outside abridged is pretty mixed. The in 5 minutes or whatever is eh. Fistmaster bleh. Let's plays going down after Kirran and Grant stopped joining Lani. I'm sorry but personally Lani worked best with those two and is maybe alright at best by himself, but unfortunately he and Kaiser are really bad and bland as a pair. Background noise at best. But that's not written work so I give it a pass.

The previous live action shorts from years back are a mixed bag but time should improve that. The podcast kinda just makes the LP's irrelevant for me as they feel exactly the same now but one with game footage. The shortz are a weird uncanny valley of things. But Machiniabridge is mostly likable so there's that.

I know these are just my opinions but depending on if patreons stick by them or if views tank, who knows if we will get another Demo Reel situation. Which is ironic in a sense since in their April Fools Abridgimon thing they lampoon Demo Reel with Doug himself.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:43 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 am

Eh I believe more than them than ever in Doug, but even still their track record outside abridged is pretty mixed. The in 5 minutes or whatever is eh. Fistmaster bleh. Let's plays going down after Kirran and Grant stopped joining Lani. I'm sorry but personally Lani worked best with those two and is maybe alright at best by himself, but unfortunately he and Kaiser are really bad and bland as a pair. Background noise at best. But that's not written work so I give it a pass.

The previous live action shorts from years back are a mixed bag but time should improve that. The podcast kinda just makes the LP's irrelevant for me as they feel exactly the same now but one with game footage. The shortz are a weird uncanny valley of things. But Machiniabridge is mostly likable so there's that.

I know these are just my opinions but depending on if patreons stick by them or if views tank, who knows if we will get another Demo Reel situation. Which is ironic in a sense since in their April Fools Abridgimon thing they lampoon Demo Reel with Doug himself.
Yeah that's where part of my concern stems from, their other series don't have anywhere near the viewership that DBZA had and i'm not sure that will be enough for them to survive(also I don't know that naming one of their other series "Unabridged" is such a great idea as it's only going to be a painful reminder to fans of DBZA that it's dead, if I were them i'd change the name)

I have to say I never cared much for their LPs, always found them grating and not very entertaining at all(had to stop watching their LP of Kakarot because of how abysmal it was, it was almost as bad as one of DarkSydePhil's LPs, I wish I was joking)

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 am

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:43 amI have to say I never cared much for their LPs, always found them grating and not very entertaining at all(had to stop watching their LP of Kakarot because of how abysmal it was, it was almost as bad as one of DarkSydePhil's LPs, I wish I was joking)
ALRIGHT, I gotta ask.

What exactly made it so bad?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:46 am

StonewallJackson wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 pm If they're unwilling to go for the whole 30+ episodes and 5 movies that it would take to cover the post-Cell shit, why not at least do a Buu Kai Abridged? 4 episodes, 8ish minutes at a time, stretch the release over 2 years. No complicated edits or grand spectacles or any of that bullshit, just silly rapid fire humor that basically covers the whole arc.
They don't wanna just do that. They wanna tell a compelling story & not just make fun of the source material. They said that it was feeling off, too cynical when they started writing for it. Also, the most they do for the majority of the episodes is cut the filler & edit the lipflaps to fit their new scripts & voice acting, as well as Kaiser doing a general clean-up of any bad animation that's left over in what they used. And, if they were to keep going, there'd be new copyright claims to continue dealing with (they don't wanna lose their main channel permanently) & they wanna be able to fully focus on other things. They didn't make the decision lightly. I'm willing to bet that if they took the Little Kuriboh approach the whole time, they could just shotgun jokes left & right, but their style evolved so far away from LK's since season 3 started back in 2012, that it'd be weird to do that for them. That's what the Kai Abridged episodes were for. Not only that, but they'd be accused of ripping LK off, which I doubt they'd want. They said themselves that Buu deserves better than how they were scripting it, which was getting to be cynical & felt like a post-script season since the Cell Saga left on a big sense of finality that it felt cheap to do what they were doing. That's why.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am

KaiserNeko wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 am
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:43 amI have to say I never cared much for their LPs, always found them grating and not very entertaining at all(had to stop watching their LP of Kakarot because of how abysmal it was, it was almost as bad as one of DarkSydePhil's LPs, I wish I was joking)
ALRIGHT, I gotta ask.

I'm sure they have their own answer but here's my thoughts.

I can't say anything about the other guy as I've never seen any of his stuff, and only heard horror stories (I think Taka was part of some GMOD series that lampshaded him), but I guess I wouldn't say bad, but painfully average. You have all the equipment needed. Voices come out wonderfully. There's nothing wrong on the technical end. It's just honestly doesn't offer anything interesting to the viewer beyond "Let's kinda listen in and semi sorta hang out with Kaiser and Lani. I haven't watched Game Grumps in years, but that more or less is what Kakarot feels like. A typical Game Grumps episode. Which depending on peoples taste can be considered a good thing.

I personally find it dull. Kirran and Grant usually at least brought amazing chemistry alongside bizarre tangents, theories, or their own lore alongside Lani for Pokemon Lps which made those a hot commotity (I don't follow them but it's clear people LOVE the Nuzlockes and I can see why. I just don't like Pokemon much). That at least helped TFS Plays stand out more on it's own. It's not something I see every Let's play ever do. That's Kakarot and some other projects ended up as. But not everyone has to do what they do. Some interesting Let's players study a game before they even tackle it and give a very knowledgeable LP. Which makes it facinating hearing of production, level tricks, trivia about the game, beta stuff, etc. But to be fair that's more of a full time job thing and Plays is a side project so that's not reasonable.

So another thing is picking a game to play, getting immerced in it's story and mechanics. Like whether it's focusing on a character, how the plot is playing out good or bad. Maybe how the voice acting is if there is any. Showing off some tricks and mechanics you may know, or merely just keeping the focus on the game. Usually this is done by at least having one person test play a game so they have an idea how it works so pacing is kept consistent, and not being afraid to CUT out filler that goes nowhere. Or picking a game someone knows very well. Though to be fair Kakarot works against you as it's brand new as a game but is mostly familiar territory in story what with being a plot we've seen 10 billion times in the video games.

I classify TFS Plays as more Tangent Plays. The game isn't really the focus a lot of the time, it's merely a backdrop for a group of friends and co-workers to hang around with. Basically what Game Grumps was when I was watching them. A lot of people just toon in because of prior work and popularity from popular creators. Arin from animations, Jontron from his reviews. TFS from their parodies. Tangent Plays is a way to listen to casual talks between internet personalities which isn't inheritantly bad by any means, but depending on the individual can leave varying results. Once again pointing to Kirran and Grant they took these tangents and usually connected them to what they were doing currently while playing a game. It's why I love their detective games because of how facinating it gets. They theorize, form opinions and focus on what they are doing, and Kirran gets pissed if he's wrong....look no further than Shapeshifter. Though they brought similar passion to other gaming projects.

I tend to lately put something like a Kakarot or Spider-man or whatever part as a podcast to "listen" to while I currently do something else where my minds actual focus is. Mostly because a lot of the talk personally just does not interest me. I like for LP's to basically sell me on a game. Show off the game, make me intersted in it, and potentially play it for myself and follow the LP to see things I may have missed or have future knowledge an LPer may not know of if they're playing blind. I don't have to buy said game for an LP to be successful or anything but I should be interested in what's happening on screen, but I'm not. It's very dull and uninteresting, combined with basic commentary and some personal hit but commonly miss tangents. So at best it's not worth watching, but mildly listening to in case maybe something interesting comes up.

So in summary. TFS Plays tends to make the gaming backdrop utterly pointless when the only conversations that tend to be of any interest are the personal ones that normally have nothing to do with the game, because a lot of the time no one has anything interesting say about what's happening on screen with a game that's being played. If no one has anything interesting to say or commentate on a game, why bother watching the screen. Why play. Might as well podcast. Which there is a new podcast show which tend to be better than the gaming parts because they're far more focused as well as paced better.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:42 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am
KaiserNeko wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 am
ALRIGHT, I gotta ask.

I'm sure they have their own answer but here's my thoughts.

I can't say anything about the other guy as I've never seen any of his stuff, and only heard horror stories (I think Taka was part of some GMOD series that lampshaded him), but I guess I wouldn't say bad, but painfully average. You have all the equipment needed. Voices come out wonderfully. There's nothing wrong on the technical end. It's just honestly doesn't offer anything interesting to the viewer beyond "Let's kinda listen in and semi sorta hang out with Kaiser and Lani. I haven't watched Game Grumps in years, but that more or less is what Kakarot feels like. A typical Game Grumps episode. Which depending on peoples taste can be considered a good thing.

I personally find it dull. Kirran and Grant usually at least brought amazing chemistry alongside bizarre tangents, theories, or their own lore alongside Lani for Pokemon Lps which made those a hot commotity (I don't follow them but it's clear people LOVE the Nuzlockes and I can see why. I just don't like Pokemon much). That at least helped TFS Plays stand out more on it's own. It's not something I see every Let's play ever do. That's Kakarot and some other projects ended up as. But not everyone has to do what they do. Some interesting Let's players study a game before they even tackle it and give a very knowledgeable LP. Which makes it facinating hearing of production, level tricks, trivia about the game, beta stuff, etc. But to be fair that's more of a full time job thing and Plays is a side project so that's not reasonable.

So another thing is picking a game to play, getting immerced in it's story and mechanics. Like whether it's focusing on a character, how the plot is playing out good or bad. Maybe how the voice acting is if there is any. Showing off some tricks and mechanics you may know, or merely just keeping the focus on the game. Usually this is done by at least having one person test play a game so they have an idea how it works so pacing is kept consistent, and not being afraid to CUT out filler that goes nowhere. Or picking a game someone knows very well. Though to be fair Kakarot works against you as it's brand new as a game but is mostly familiar territory in story what with being a plot we've seen 10 billion times in the video games.

I classify TFS Plays as more Tangent Plays. The game isn't really the focus a lot of the time, it's merely a backdrop for a group of friends and co-workers to hang around with. Basically what Game Grumps was when I was watching them. A lot of people just toon in because of prior work and popularity from popular creators. Arin from animations, Jontron from his reviews. TFS from their parodies. Tangent Plays is a way to listen to casual talks between internet personalities which isn't inheritantly bad by any means, but depending on the individual can leave varying results. Once again pointing to Kirran and Grant they took these tangents and usually connected them to what they were doing currently while playing a game. It's why I love their detective games because of how facinating it gets. They theorize, form opinions and focus on what they are doing, and Kirran gets pissed if he's wrong....look no further than Shapeshifter. Though they brought similar passion to other gaming projects.

I tend to lately put something like a Kakarot or Spider-man or whatever part as a podcast to "listen" to while I currently do something else where my minds actual focus is. Mostly because a lot of the talk personally just does not interest me. I like for LP's to basically sell me on a game. Show off the game, make me intersted in it, and potentially play it for myself and follow the LP to see things I may have missed or have future knowledge an LPer may not know of if they're playing blind. I don't have to buy said game for an LP to be successful or anything but I should be interested in what's happening on screen, but I'm not. It's very dull and uninteresting, combined with basic commentary and some personal hit but commonly miss tangents. So at best it's not worth watching, but mildly listening to in case maybe something interesting comes up.

So in summary. TFS Plays tends to make the gaming backdrop utterly pointless when the only conversations that tend to be of any interest are the personal ones that normally have nothing to do with the game, because a lot of the time no one has anything interesting say about what's happening on screen with a game that's being played. If no one has anything interesting to say or commentate on a game, why bother watching the screen. Why play. Might as well podcast. Which there is a new podcast show which tend to be better than the gaming parts because they're far more focused as well as paced better.
Yeah pretty much that(though i would say Game Grumps has better LPs for the most part IMO), also you skipped like half the dialogue and then asked questions about what the dialogue you skipped said, sorry but that is pretty amateurish IMO, sadly that reminds me of some of Spoony's LPs(oh how the mighty have fallen), particular his cringe-inducing one of Alien Isolation.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:06 pm

Leaked footage of TFS coming to their decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sLHXYQUpM
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.