Is Tai'ichiro Ohara the most underrated artist/animator?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Is Tai'ichiro Ohara the most underrated artist/animator?

Post by Arteaga4K » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 pm

I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for his work in the series, I put the blame for being associated with one of the cheaper animation studios Last House and being under Uchiyama's supervision (especially since their work looks almost similar but I heard he was also corrected a lot too). But as far as fluidity and animation goes, I thought very few animators could match him (even Tate's work in Super isn't as good imo). Even in the artstyle side of things which is where people criticize him most, I always liked his style and thought it looked good (especially in the Saiyan, Freeza, and early Android arcs), even with the corrections I can still easily tell when it's Ohara vs Uchiyama. Not sure what it was about it, but I was actually surprised to find out years later his style isn't that popular. Of course this is all my opinion, but does anyone else think his work is the most underrated of all the animators (or at least up there)?
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Tai'ichiro Ohara the most underrated artist/animator?

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09 pm

His work was certainly very good, but for the old Last House days I think Shida overshadows him (and I'm a big fan of the art style he had back then too).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09 pm His work was certainly very good, but for the old Last House days I think Shida overshadows him (and I'm a big fan of the art style he had back then too).
I agree that Shida was the star of the studio, but I wouldn't call him underrated. His work was some of the most praised and still is to this day (rightfully so of course). He sits at number 3 of my favorite animators tied with Masaki Sato, only behind (90s) Yamamuro and Kazuya Hisada (who's also tied with Shimanuki)
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 pm

For sure. He's the main reason that the Last House episodes since the Cell arc were any good.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:27 pm

His massive contributions to the franchise certainly do feel a bit under appreciated in comparison to Shida. His work on last house throughout Dragonball and Z made the studio’s episode fairly enjoyable to watch, with him pretty consistently delivering solid bits of action. Unfortunately, roughly mid way through the Cell saga, with Shida leaving and Uchimaya taking on more KA duties, the quality of last house episodes did deteriorate, despite Ohara’s contributions, which while generally solid, were also becoming weaker than his prior work. This deterioration hit its peak in GT. While he was still somewhat okay, though middling at best, during the Buu arc, their contributions on GT were stupidly rough.

So yes, great animator. Did a lot of great stuff for the franchise during the original show and Z, but his contributions became less noteworthy in the latter half of Z and in GT. In saying that, the quantity of work they did on the show should not be dismissed.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 am

Yes. He is a great animators. He really made lotsa Uchiyama Masayuki's episode fluid & watchable. Deserves equal amount of attention as any other top animators

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 am

Arteaga4K wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm
Metalwario64 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09 pm His work was certainly very good, but for the old Last House days I think Shida overshadows him (and I'm a big fan of the art style he had back then too).
I agree that Shida was the star of the studio, but I wouldn't call him underrated. His work was some of the most praised and still is to this day (rightfully so of course). He sits at number 3 of my favorite animators tied with Masaki Sato, only behind (90s) Yamamuro and Kazuya Hisada (who's also tied with Shimanuki)
What I meant was that Ohara isn't as widely recognized because of Shida, not that Shida is more overlooked.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash