A heartwarming Super review

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: A heartwarming Super review

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm

Doctor. wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 pm No, I don't mind critics at all. Literary critics and music critics usually have some good insight; it's with cinema that I tend to notice superficial analysis.

Obviously, there are exceptions and I'm speaking from anecdote.
Sorry. I came off as flippant.

I don't actually disagree with you. I suppose part of the reason is that there's much more money to be made in film reviews than in criticism of other medias. Also, and I have no idea why this is, I've noticed music and literary critics tend to give a work a chance to breath before they tear into it. They'll allow a new author two or three novels before they make up their minds about them/their style. Films criticism on the other hand tends much more towards make or break.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Doctor. wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:08 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:06 pm As a rule, YouTube reviewers are awful. If someone isn't a professional critic, chances are their reviews are mostly not worthwhile
Film critics are usually awful and have nothing interesting to say, as well.
That's not true at all. There are some terrible ones that seem more preoccupied with getting themselves over than talking about the films, but more often than not, pros have a deep well of knowledge about films and film history so they can provide the reader with lots to think about, not just the film itself but where it might sit in the current landscape, the filmmakers' body of work, etc. Your comment comes off as someone who hasn't read much legitimate film criticism. In fact, I would say you're needlessly cynical. Many of these critics are filmmakers themselves, so I find it bizarre that anyone would think they have nothing worthwhile.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am

ABED wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:06 pm As a rule, YouTube reviewers are awful. If someone isn't a professional critic, chances are their reviews are mostly not worthwhile
That's not true at all. There are some terrible ones that seem more preoccupied with getting themselves over than talking about the films, but more often than not, pros have a deep well of knowledge about films and film history so they can provide the reader with lots to think about, not just the film itself but where it might sit in the current landscape, the filmmakers' body of work, etc. Your comment comes off as someone who hasn't read much legitimate film criticism. In fact, I would say you're needlessly cynical. Many of these critics are filmmakers themselves, so I find it bizarre that anyone would think they have nothing worthwhile.
While it's true there aren't any critics that I follow religiously, I do check the review section of Rotten Tomatoes (the so-called "professional critics") every time a movie comes out, and I used to read Roger Ebert when I was younger. They talk about the cast, give a minor synopsis of the film and then give the verdict. That's all they do. Very rarely do they talk about cinema history, mention the technical aspects of the cinematography, or analyze the themes, motifs and symbols. Discussing how the film can serve as a half-assed analogy for the contemporary American political climate is the furthest some will go.

I don't know, maybe it's because I come from a background of literary criticism, so I'm expecting something more, but it's all very superficial. I'll take the opinions of actual filmmakers more seriously, but again, usually they don't say anything I haven't thought of on my own.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:41 am

Zamasu Black wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:19 pm A B+ is way too high a grade for Super. A B+ is what I'd give the 22nd Budokau Arc and that's one of my favorite arcs.
The Tournament of Power was better than that Tournament though and any Tournament in OG Dragon Ball.
100% disagree. The ToP was all spectacle with no real substance.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Doctor. wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am
ABED wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 pm

While it's true there aren't any critics that I follow religiously, I do check the review section of Rotten Tomatoes (the so-called "professional critics") every time a movie comes out, and I used to read Roger Ebert when I was younger. They talk about the cast, give a minor synopsis of the film and then give the verdict. That's all they do. Very rarely do they talk about cinema history, mention the technical aspects of the cinematography, or analyze the themes, motifs and symbols. Discussing how the film can serve as a half-assed analogy for the contemporary American political climate is the furthest some will go.

I don't know, maybe it's because I come from a background of literary criticism, so I'm expecting something more, but it's all very superficial. I'll take the opinions of actual filmmakers more seriously, but again, usually they don't say anything I haven't thought of on my own.
You are just flat out wrong. Yes, if all you read are the reviews of the weekly releases, then sure, you won't get much of what I'm talking about but you don't have to go far to find them discuss films, film history, etc. I know you might take offense to me saying this, but I call bullshit on your claim about them not talking about the technical aspects, themes, symbols, or motifs. I have ZERO clue what you're reading. You do realize that a film critic's job is not just reviewing the latest blockbuster coming out that weekend, don't you? You don't have to go far to find worthwhile film criticism that's just as good as literary criticism. No wonder you aren't finding it, you're looking on RT. You have to go beyond that. Most of them have published books about cinema.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:50 pm

I said I read Roger Ebert. And I also like Zizek, forgot to mention him, but film criticism isn't his main subject.
I'm aware reviews and actual criticism aren't the same thing, that's not the point. The point is that even in reviews, literary critics don't just talk about the plot, the author, and how the book made them feel, for a few paragraphs.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Doctor. wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:50 pm I said I read Roger Ebert. And I also like Zizek, forgot to mention him, but film criticism isn't his main subject.
I'm aware reviews and actual criticism aren't the same thing, that's not the point. The point is that even in reviews, literary critics don't just talk about the plot, the author, and how the book made them feel, for a few paragraphs.
So do you think film critics don't do actual criticism? That literary critics are somehow superior? Reviewing films is only PART of a film critics' job. You are sorely misinformed, which is ironic given that several tiimes you've brought up having a background in literary criticism. And last point, it's not surprising that film reviews are often less comprehensive than literary criticism given how different most people consume films and books. You can find a bunch of great articles by Film Critic Hulk by doing a simple google search.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm

I'm not sure how you're misconstruing everything I said.

I didn't say that they didn't do actual criticism. I said that even in reviews, literary critics go far deeper than the film critics I've read - I'm speaking of reviews, because this is what the thread is about. Secondly, it is likely I am misinformed, film criticism isn't my area, I said I was speaking from anecdote. Thirdly, I didn't bring my background up "several times," I mentioned it once.

Also, I could argue that since literature is a more profound medium than cinema has ever been, that it would be reflected in the critics themselves (most of the greats are writers as well), but that opens up a completely different can of worms.