Why did Android 20 deny being Dr Gero?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Why did Android 20 deny being Dr Gero?

Post by Rory » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:44 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:57 pm I don't think he planned on it from the start of the saga, but I think he made up his mind that he would be Gero once he actually designed and debuted #19 and 20. Why else have him be an old geezer?
Could've made him in his own image. Kami complex?

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 am

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:04 amI remember the anime had that scene during Trunks' monologue, where it shows Gero from behind, still in human form as he gets killed by the Androids (although the "Androids" look nothing like any of the Androids in that scene). It's interesting because Gero's hair in that scene is already long and white like Android 20's.

I'm guessing this bit wasn't in the manga, and was added into the anime after the revelation had already happened in the manga?
Yeah, that was an anime exclusive scene.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am

coola wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:06 pm I was wondering about that too, maybe he was afraid that if he had to escape, they would have easier time finding him, if they knew he was Dr. Gero? (Bulma knew where his hideout was)
I think that’s the reason. Though, it’s baffling how his hideout wasn’t a mistery for the other scientists.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

ABED wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:04 pm Not to mention given the RRA's ubiquity, it's silly to think Goku destroyed every remnant of it.
I mean it's been a while since I read it but, the RRA didn't seem tied to a nation state or even a particular ideology. They seem like a mercenary army. Once the leadership of the RRA had been decimated by Goku and the checks stopped rolling in for the soldiers it makes sense they would move on.

Gero's motives for revenge could be explained by A. His funding from the RRA drying up, thus sabotaging his life's work or B. He's fuckin nuts.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:37 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:57 pm I don't think he planned on it from the start of the saga, but I think he made up his mind that he would be Gero once he actually designed and debuted #19 and 20. Why else have him be an old geezer?
Was the scene of Goku punching 20's hat off and revealing his brain anime filler? If not, then I think that's pretty strong evidence of him planning on him being Gero from the start (or at least, from that moment).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:37 pm
Was the scene of Goku punching 20's hat off and revealing his brain anime filler? If not, then I think that's pretty strong evidence of him planning on him being Gero from the start (or at least, from that moment).
I'd literally never thought of this until now. For some reason I always thought 19 had a real brain too, even though he's stated to be fully mechanical. I just went back to 19's death scene and sure enough his brain is mechanical.

I guess the hat scene is a nice subtle hint then.