Dragon Ball Z on TV3 - Exclusive Bumpers

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Z on TV3 - Exclusive Bumpers

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:14 am

Sorry if this topic has been posted before, but I'm really intrigued by this.

Apparently FUNimation had Dale Kelly record several narrations for eyecatches or bumpers (We'll be right back, Don't go anywhere, We're back, etc.) for FUNimation dub broadcasts in New Zealand of all places.

I only found one but apparently there are several more and this one leaves a lot to be desired in terms of sound quality as well as timing. :/

https://streamable.com/kri5o

Does anyone in New Zealand have tapes of the show from back in the day that they may be able to capture the bumpers for? On top of that, did these air anywhere else that I'm not aware of?

If for whatever reason you're too shy to disclose anything on this thread, feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z on TV3 - Exclusive Bumpers

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 am

I am from NZ and I remember these, but sadly I never taped any of them (I was primarily watching OG DB on Cartoon Network anyway).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm

I remember these were posted somewhere, but I forgot where or when. The last pair had the same music the remastered eyecatches played from Season 3 to IIRC before the start of the Boo saga.

edit: Ah, here it is.
BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:06 am The first 20 or so Ginyu/Freeza episodes had one where it was silent with Dale Kelly saying "We'll be right back with more of DBZ." "And now back to DBZ" and for some reason episode 59 and 61 both had their own versions. It switched to the one with the jingle playing and there was another variant on episode 80 that had the jingle but had Dale Kelly talking over it again.
Eyecatch variant 1 (#54-7x)
Eyecatch variant 2 (#59)
Eyecatch variant 3 (#61)
Eyecatch variant 4 (#80)
and here's another copy of variant 4 that Arian posted in 2014, containing a small bit of the second half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDe5Hk7suWc
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm I remember these were posted somewhere, but I forgot where or when. The last pair had the same music the remastered eyecatches played from Season 3 to IIRC before the start of the Boo saga.

edit: Ah, here it is.
BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:06 am The first 20 or so Ginyu/Freeza episodes had one where it was silent with Dale Kelly saying "We'll be right back with more of DBZ." "And now back to DBZ" and for some reason episode 59 and 61 both had their own versions. It switched to the one with the jingle playing and there was another variant on episode 80 that had the jingle but had Dale Kelly talking over it again.
Eyecatch variant 1 (#54-7x)
Eyecatch variant 2 (#59)
Eyecatch variant 3 (#61)
Eyecatch variant 4 (#80)
and here's another copy of variant 4 that Arian posted in 2014, containing a small bit of the second half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDe5Hk7suWc
Thank you for pulling those up, but they suffer from the same quality and timing problems. They wouldn't be useful in my super secret project, hehe.

So the hunt goes on. Also in the event that there are more bumpers, that would be awesome to find them too.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 am

Do you need good audio quality or something?

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 amDo you need good audio quality or something?
Don't we all, my good chap? I mean, I would prefer good audio over bad audio because I'm that bourgeois, I guess, but you'll thank me later when you hear Kelly's voice in 24-bit! XP

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:14 am Apparently FUNimation had Dale Kelly record several narrations for eyecatches or bumpers (We'll be right back, Don't go anywhere, We're back, etc.) for FUNimation dub broadcasts in New Zealand of all places.
I'm guessing they recorded it for the general TV edit, but no where other than New Zealand actually used it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 am
GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:14 am Apparently FUNimation had Dale Kelly record several narrations for eyecatches or bumpers (We'll be right back, Don't go anywhere, We're back, etc.) for FUNimation dub broadcasts in New Zealand of all places.
I'm guessing they recorded it for the general TV edit, but no where other than New Zealand actually used it.
I don't think that's the case, because it's a known fact that FUNimation didn't adopt the eyecatches until episode 70/85, The Renewed Goku. That's the episode when Faulconer Productions delivered their eyecatch jingle. This can be observed by taking note of the fact that before that episode on all remastered releases, the eyecatch uses Nathan Johnson's jingle in spite of the BGM otherwise being Faulconer Productions.

As for Dragon Ball Z's presence in New Zealand, it didn't start airing there at all until April of 2000. And the Captain Ginyu Saga didn't start airing until September of that year, so I have to believe with all of that in mind that this is something FUNimation thought of during the Android arc recording sessions to have Dale Kelly read a few lines for the eyecatches.

Speculation sure, but more plausible than them recording eyecatches when eyecatches weren't even present on the uncut home releases.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:53 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm and here's another copy of variant 4 that Arian posted in 2014, containing a small bit of the second half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDe5Hk7suWc
**late response, been a while since my last visit

Right, forgot to mention that one, couldn't even remember if I uploaded it then. That was also from me, from a recording my friend in Wellington had, got it about 2-3 years before I found the Trademe set. Was when he was sending me a few Cardcaptors episodes that had sped up sections on whatever was uploaded then and was curious what DBZ episodes he had.

But as far as that one goes, guess it's just unfortunate that the TM one came from a broadcast that cut it.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 pm

GokuDaimao wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:37 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 am
I don't think that's the case, because it's a known fact that FUNimation didn't adopt the eyecatches until episode 70/85, The Renewed Goku. That's the episode when Faulconer Productions delivered their eyecatch jingle. This can be observed by taking note of the fact that before that episode on all remastered releases, the eyecatch uses Nathan Johnson's jingle in spite of the BGM otherwise being Faulconer Productions.

As for Dragon Ball Z's presence in New Zealand, it didn't start airing there at all until April of 2000. And the Captain Ginyu Saga didn't start airing until September of that year, so I have to believe with all of that in mind that this is something FUNimation thought of during the Android arc recording sessions to have Dale Kelly read a few lines for the eyecatches.

Speculation sure, but more plausible than them recording eyecatches when eyecatches weren't even present on the uncut home releases.
Not quite, actually. It is true that for the remastered version of the dub, the Faulconer eyecatch music (which by the way, was lifted right out of the original BGM made for episode 56/70 (Uncut) "Frieza Approaches", which was entirely replaced for the remaster) started its use on episode 70/85 "The Renewed Goku". However on the Original dub, that's a different story. Again, it is true that the original DVD singles did not contain the eyecatches for Z. With the exception of one: Frieza - Transformation. For some strange reason, that DVD did retain the eyecatches for its episodes, which were episodes 61/75 (Uncut) "Password is Porunga" to 66/81 (Uncut) "Deja Vu", and the track used was, in fact, the same lifted music heard on the remastered dub (and the "Trunks Compendium I" soundtrack release, which contained the full episode mix of episode 105/120 (Uncut) "Another Super Saiyan").

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Azelf89 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 pm Not quite, actually. It is true that for the remastered version of the dub, the Faulconer eyecatch music (which by the way, was lifted right out of the original BGM made for episode 56/70 (Uncut) "Frieza Approaches", which was entirely replaced for the remaster) started its use on episode 70/85 "The Renewed Goku". However on the Original dub, that's a different story. Again, it is true that the original DVD singles did not contain the eyecatches for Z. With the exception of one: Frieza - Transformation. For some strange reason, that DVD did retain the eyecatches for its episodes, which were episodes 61/75 (Uncut) "Password is Porunga" to 66/81 (Uncut) "Deja Vu", and the track used was, in fact, the same lifted music heard on the remastered dub (and the "Trunks Compendium I" soundtrack release, which contained the full episode mix of episode 105/120 (Uncut) "Another Super Saiyan").
The original DVD singles did have eyecatches, just not all of them. The initial Frieza ones did not, the Garlic Jr. ones did not, the initial Trunks ones did not, and the Android ones did not. Of these, a few Frieza singles and all the Trunks singles were rereleased and included eyecatches on these rereleases. All the rest of the singles had eyecatchers from Imperfect Cell to Kid Buu.

The real question is, which episode did Faulconer Productions start delivering eyecatch music as part of their full episode mix to Funimation? I have to think they started doing this with "The Renewed Goku", because we know the Orange Brick sound mixers just included whatever music tracks they got from Faulconer Productions. If episodes 68-84 (uncut) keep using the Johnson one, it's most likely because they didn't receive the Faulconer one for those episodes. These TV3 eyecatchers from New Zealand also don't include music until somewhere during the Frieza fight, which supports this idea. On the Trunks and Android DVD singles that don't have eyecatchers, there are noticeable cuts in the music where they're supposed to be, indicating that Funimation had them, but were just cutting them out. For the rereleased Frieza ones that included eyecatchers, the sound person at Funimation probably just spliced that music into those DVDs rather than being something specifically delivered to them by Faulconer Productions. It's strange that they didn't do this for episodes 68-84 on the Bricks or Blu-rays and instead opted to keep using the Johnson one; but hey, the people working there during that Orange Brick era probably had less familiarity with the Faulconer score anyway.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:46 am

Bumping this thread in the hopes that a new crop of users seeing this (where they otherwise wouldn't, most likely) might turn into something real.

Here is all of the material that's on hand right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjI4K-AWPQ

Same deal though. If anyone has leads to New Zealand-based recordings, BluezaBladeNZ and I would love to hear from you!

And big props to the big guy for the material thus far.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:25 pm

Thanks for the bump actually, I just noticed that the links on here previously weren't working anymore.