SSG or SSJ4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: SSG or SSJ4

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Super Saiyan God.

I like SS4, but at the same time I think the form is one of the best examples of "that's so dumb, but so cool" in the franchise. Almost everything is strange, from the concept to design.

Also, I like the simplicity of SS God. I mean, almost all forms in the original work were simple, except SS3. God, Blue (who isn't really a recolor) and UI just follow this rule.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:21 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am Comparing apples to oranges imho.

SSG: A Saiyan with divine power flowing through his veins.

SSJ4: The purest manifestation of a Saiyan's primitive power.
That's basically where I'm at. SSG makes sense to me because it's just a Saiyan but with divine power so it should be as simple as it is. Meanwhile SSJ4 is the upper limit of a Saiyan's bestial strength so it should be an extension of their Oozaru transformation (and break from the quasi divine look of the standard SSJ).

As to which I prefer? Neither really. I like the themes behind each just fine but both forms have something holding them back. SSJ4 has all that ridiculous eyeliner, half-assed fur and random chest crest. It's like they wanted to make Goku look like a gelada monkey but didn't want to commit to the idea enough.

And SSG is literally just the Kaoiken. Which makes sense both as a call back to Goku first surpassing his limits against Vegeta and because it's meant to be a "godly" technique as well. But we've seen it before and the connection is only ever a visual one (no one afaik ever makes that connection in story.)
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:39 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:21 pm Since when saiyans had anything to do with gods?
I love this question.

Anyway, SS4.

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 am

SSG is nothing but a silly repaint of an already existing form, it’s just a skinny base Goku...

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:59 am

What about a mix of them?!

Zamasu Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zamasu Black » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:46 am

Super Saiyan 4 makes no sense.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:59 am What about a mix of them?!

Sun Wukong in this house!
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am

Kefla wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 am SSG is nothing but a silly repaint of an already existing form, it’s just a skinny base Goku...
Well that's factually incorrect. It is nothing alike. The hair is not only more refined, he has a protruding bang and pupils. Last time I checked Base Goku didn't have f**king pupils.

That is like me saying SS2 Goku looks the same as SS1 Goku... :roll:

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am
Kefla wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 am SSG is nothing but a silly repaint of an already existing form, it’s just a skinny base Goku...
Well that's factually incorrect. It is nothing alike. The hair is not only more refined, he has a protruding bang and pupils. Last time I checked Base Goku didn't have f**king pupils.

Still looks like base Goku, but I won’t waste time arguing with idiots.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:17 pm

SSJ4 has a much more creative and “cool” look to it, but I have come to like the simplicity and the elegance of SSJG. I suppose I would say that I personally like SSJ4 better, but SSJG is much more of a Toriyama thing.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:17 pm SSJ4 has a much more creative and “cool” look to it, but I have come to like the simplicity and the elegance of SSJG. I suppose I would say that I personally like SSJ4 better, but SSJG is much more of a Toriyama thing.
I feel like its a modern Toriyama thing. I don't see 90's Toriyama creating SSG as we know it. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not really into his modern work outside of Beerus.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Kefla wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Still looks like base Goku, but I won’t waste time arguing with idiots.
Are you sure it's not because you can't argue back? He's right, you know.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:14 pmMaybe I'm in the minority but I'm not really into his modern work outside of Beerus.
Depends. All Toriyama's designs for the series have been lackluster and terrible indeed. But damn if he hasn't done great job with the games. We don't even need to go too far into it, just comparing Cabba and Shallot is like day and night.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:08 pm

SSGod is also much leaner than any other form. There is sort of a youth thing attached to that form, at least in BoG and in the manga. The ToP and DBS Broly have SSGod less so.

The eyes are much less agressive as well.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:22 pm

I like more SSJ GOD it feels good a simple change besides it agrees with the new aura I had obtained
their battles also demonstrated much better the new scale of power that was being handled

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:08 pm

I think over thinking about it more I would still say SSJ4 is better but thanks for answering

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 am ETA: I’m being pedantic by why is the acronym for Super Saiyan God SSG but the acronym for Super Saiyan 4 is SSJ4? I’m sure it’s one of those fandoms things I’ll never understand like constantly referring to the end of manga as EoZ instead of just talking normally.
for some ungodly reason, fandom fixed in using SSJ as short for Super Saiya-Jin(the Japanese for Super Saiyan)
No idea why sometimes people don't use it for God, which in Japanese is still Super Saiya-Jin God

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:26 pm

I liked the concept of an Oozaru hybrid form being the ultimate Saiyan transformation. I think the design would've looked better if it was toned down a little. Maybe no eyeliner and light brown fur to show it's a mix between the SSJ and Oozaru form? I always thought this Oozaru like form during Goku's SSJ3 transformation looked pretty cool.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Maybe, just maybe, because his eyes already black, so we can see his pupils? That's not really a good counterpoint.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:33 am

I love SSG a lot but the more refined hair and protruding bangs are a part of how Toriyama draws base Goku’s hair on his more detailed illustrations (just look at Battle of Gods poster).

The only changes SSG brings in are the fully-outlined eyes and skinnier body. And that is enough. The beauty of the form is in its simplicity.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical