Least favourite performances in your dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Least favourite performances in your dub

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:17 am

Then you cant really say the Latin American version didnt do justice to the original.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:35 am

Kirby Morrow as Gokuu. Fine voice actor, I've enjoyed him in other roles, but he was so miscast. He has serious 'dude' energy that doesn't fit the character at all. For what it's worth he did the best with what he had, he was likely told to play a generic super hero and his voice talents alone carry him through the show, but as no point is he Gokuu.
But hey, he still beats Schemmel!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 am

Wow, some people don't like Shibata's Yi Xing Long. The character was a crappy villain, but Shibata IMO did an excellent job. The guy is one of the best seiyuus at playing vilains.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Funimation for me. That being said, there's definitely some off voices in the older dubs.

-Dameon Clarke as Bora. Sounds really forced and feels like he's trying too hard to do a voice that's out of his range. He doesn't get a whole lot of screen time, though.

-Sean Schemmel as Goku from Episode 68 of DBZ to his Super Saiyan transformation. Yeah, this one's been talked about. Flat performance not helped by awkward dialog. The downgrade from Episode 67 is also incredibly obvious. He's gotten way better since then.

-Sean Schemmel (sorry, man) as Nail in Season 3 of DBZ. Very stilted and strained, it doesn't really sound like he's giving it his all. He sounds much better in Season 2 and Kai.

-John Freeman (whoever that is?) as Vinegar, one of Garlic Jr.'s henchmen in his arc. Sounds really amateurish, and it sort of feels like he was way too close to the mic or something.

-Whoever voiced that one asshat mayor who told everyone to hide from Cell in his dome. He sounds way too young and whiny.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10 am

kei17 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:42 amI can readily find people that hated Japanese Yi Xing Long.
Actually I don't like Shibata's Yi Xing Long, too. He sounds too old and doesn't match the wild speaking tone of the character. He sounds like an old man trying to act like a young outlaw.
It's still better than Chris Sabat's take on Yi Xing Long. Sabat's voice on Yi Xing Long is even worse because Funimation made him sound like a chain smoker. Yi Xing Long is already a shitty villain and Sabat made the character 100X worse.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:21 am

I recently learned that kid Trunks in the Funimation dub (one of the aforementioned unbearable raspy child voices) was voiced by Laura Bailey. I wonder what the director was telling her because she is not a bad VA normally, yet her Trunks was atrocious.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:31 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:21 am I recently learned that kid Trunks in the Funimation dub (one of the aforementioned unbearable raspy child voices) was voiced by Laura Bailey. I wonder what the director was telling her because she is not a bad VA normally, yet her Trunks was atrocious.

“Your dad sounds like’s he smokes 5 packs a day and your mom sounds like she’s always hoarse from yelling at the top of her lungs, try to find something in between that?”

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:03 am

Any performance from the Greek ""dub"" makes me want to killmyself :lol:
As far as funi dub goes which was probably my first proper watch of the show, i'd go with Sabat as Picolo, but after Vegeta got introduced.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:33 am

Justin Cook's Super Buu after he absorbs Gotenks and Gohan if I recall just sounded like a poor attempt at doing a pro wrestler impression. In fact, most of the old Funimation grunts sounded like the voice actors were doing these wrestling noises.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10 am
kei17 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:42 amI can readily find people that hated Japanese Yi Xing Long.
Actually I don't like Shibata's Yi Xing Long, too. He sounds too old and doesn't match the wild speaking tone of the character. He sounds like an old man trying to act like a young outlaw.
It's still better than Chris Sabat's take on Yi Xing Long. Sabat's voice on Yi Xing Long is even worse because Funimation made him sound like a chain smoker. Yi Xing Long is already a shitty villain and Sabat made the character 100X worse.
The worst part about that is that Bob Carter was actually a really great casting for Yi Xing Long. But for god-knows-what-reason, they decided to change him out for Chris Sabat's bland take once he got his powerup from eating the balls.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:36 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 am But for god-knows-what-reason, they decided to change him out for Chris Sabat's bland take once he got his powerup from eating the balls.
That reason is Chris Bevins. He thought it would be a great idea to cast Sabat as Omega because "
Omega Shenron was the ultimate being by absorbing all dragon balls it would make sense for the character to sound like the dragon shenron which Sabat voices".

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:43 pm

The only one I can think of that still applies is Sabat as Vegeta. I've always hated Drummond's take on Vegeta, and Sabat carrying on with that choice never sat well with me.

If we're still counting VAs who were replaced, Linda Young was a terrible Freeza and you can't convince me otherwise.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Patrick Seitz as Jiren. I'm not quite sure why, but it's just bland.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm

I hated Dr. Myu's voice in the Funimation dub of GT because they give him a bad German accent.
She/Her

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm I hated Dr. Myu's voice in the Funimation dub of GT because they give him a bad German accent.
They did the same to Dr.Frappe in the Dragon Ball dub

I guess to Funimation Scientist=German ?

Actually Funimation went accent crazy in Dragon Ball, particularly in the Red Ribbon arc.

Commander Red? Scottish for some reason.
General White- Russian Commie
Murasaki- Stereotypical Japanese Ninja accent
Cop that helps Goku find Bulma-Canadian, eh?
Captain Yellow- Australian because reasons

And of course any middle eastern character would sound exactly as you’d expect.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm I hated Dr. Myu's voice in the Funimation dub of GT because they give him a bad German accent.
They did the same to Dr.Frappe in the Dragon Ball dub

I guess to Funimation Scientist=German ?

Actually Funimation went accent crazy in Dragon Ball, particularly in the Red Ribbon arc.

Commander Red? Scottish for some reason.
General White- Russian Commie
Murasaki- Stereotypical Japanese Ninja accent
Cop that helps Goku find Bulma-Canadian, eh?
Captain Yellow- Australian because reasons

And of course any middle eastern character would sound exactly as you’d expect.
Of course it's the same thing that many of 4Kids' dubs of old did, but One Piece in particular seemed to be the one they went overboard with most on that.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:19 pm

It's always a pet peeve of mine when it comes to fictional aliens having accents from Earth when they are not even from that planet. Jeece having an Australian accent comes to mind.
She/Her

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:19 pm It's always a pet peeve of mine when it comes to fictional aliens having accents from Earth when they are not even from that planet. Jeece having an Australian accent comes to mind.
Everyone in the universe speaks the same language but you're bothered by an accent?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:44 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:19 pm It's always a pet peeve of mine when it comes to fictional aliens having accents from Earth when they are not even from that planet. Jeece having an Australian accent comes to mind.
Everyone in the universe speaks the same language but you're bothered by an accent?
I feel like there’s a difference between characters speaking the same language for storytelling convenience and an alien character having an accent

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:44 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm
I feel like there’s a difference between characters speaking the same language for storytelling convenience and an alien character having an accent
This complaint bugs me whenever I see it brought up for any form of media. General American is an accent. Every single character has an accent, you're just choosing to take issue with certain ones. If anything it makes less sense for every single person to have the same accent, even if you get past the initial hurdle of them all speaking the same language.

For example, giving Goku a General American accent is both less logical and probably less accurate as an adaptation than giving him an Appalachian one.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.