"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:30 pm

Well, that Gogeta line definetely confirms Omega Shenron. Good, he needed to be in this game.

So, two more characters... I really don't know which ones will be, but I they add Majin Vegeta I'm going on a rampage.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:28 am Ooooh! I knew I forgot someone! As much as I would love to see Muten Roshi and Yajirobe I wouldn't be surprised if we got Jaco! He's been a favorite of mine since his manga debut.
jako would be a better option than Mr satan really at least if you are looking for "gag" characters

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Jaco always goes unmentioned when people talk about 'gag characters' for the game, but he's actually a pretty choice. He's been a pretty reliable presence in most games too since Resurrection F.

Looking over some of the move breakdown vids from the trailers, people are seeing what look like Vegetto kangaroo legs and Bardock autocombo smash on Kefla. And depending on how that Hellzone Grenade-esque level one works, she could DHC into Spirit Bomb, or possibly her own full-screen hitting level 3. I think I misspoke when I said her air attack looked like regular ki blasts earlier, on closer examination it looks like a special. But still, I hope she ends up being really scummy, I only ever tried to use "honest" DLC characters like Baseku, Cooler, Jiren and Gogeta. I'm looking forward to playing a degenerate.

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:52 pm

So we've got
  • UI Goku
  • Kefla
  • Omega Shenron
Some other possibilities for the last 2 are
  • Master Roshi, King Piccolo, Mercenary Tao (DB representation)
  • Toppo, Whis, Ribrianne (Super representation)
  • Zarbon, Raditz, Dabura, Majin Vegeta (Z representation)
  • Pan, Majuub, Baby Vegeta (GT representation)
  • Jaco, Mr. Satan (gag characters)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 pm

I would like to see Kid Gohan as DLC. one reason, like between his "Teen" form and Adult form, the age gap is so massive they're practically different characters with barely any attacks being the same, and with Kid Gohan being Krillin's size and having short physical attack range, he'll be even more different compared to his older counterparts. Other reason is nostalgia. Namek arc being my favorite of the series, and I liked Gohan the most during that arc, I would definitely buy DLC of Kid Gohan Day One

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Looking forward to UI Goku and Kefla. No ToP stage is pretty disappointing.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:39 pm

The absence of a new stage is very strange: it seems to me that creating a stage would be much easier than creating a character with hundreds of animations and precise gameplay tweaks.

For the two remaining characters, though it could always be a vast array of potential characters, it depends on what motivates them:

- if they are motivated by the movesets, it could be a lot of characters, it doesn't really narrow the selection.

- if they are motivated by adding another girl to really state "now we clearly have covered enough girls in our roster", Ribriand will be next as she's the most original female fighter you could get, acting both as a female representation and a gag character. You can already imagine how the devs would have fun with the magical girl and "power of love" aspects presentation-wise.

- if they are motivated by covering gaps in story representation through Dramatic Finishes (likely the reason why we finally have a Goku-Freezer VS Jiren finale), there's a good chance Majin Vegeta is on the way: currently - if you exclude the Z movies - the Dramatic Finishes have nothing to show about the Boo saga except the very end. If you had to add one Dramatic Finish from that era, it would be Majin Vegeta's sacrifice, undoubtedly. We could also think of Raditz for an obvious Dramatic Finish and story representation, but not sure he's a "promotional killer choice" to make people dream through previews in the V-Jump.

- If they are motivated by a gag character, Jaco will probably be included with his ability to fly thanks to his shoes (not getting in the way of his inclusion unlike Kame Sennin/Roshi who can't fly), his laser gun, his unusual looks and the fact that he covers the prequel, the Super era and even the most recent arc that is not even animated yet. He's an all-in-one gag character bringing something that really breaks the mold of other characters, it's easy to imagine his inclusion.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm

For the last two characters, I’d like to have Piccolo Daimao and Tao Pai Pai on the roster, but I don’t know how likely that is. I guess Ribrianne would be alright. I don’t particularly care for the character, but she does have a unique moveset, and they might want to have more female characters on the roster.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 pm I would like to see Kid Gohan as DLC. one reason, like between his "Teen" form and Adult form, the age gap is so massive they're practically different characters with barely any attacks being the same, and with Kid Gohan being Krillin's size and having short physical attack range, he'll be even more different compared to his older counterparts. Other reason is nostalgia. Namek arc being my favorite of the series, and I liked Gohan the most during that arc, I would definitely buy DLC of Kid Gohan Day One
Totally forgot about him after DLC started rolling out. I was always a defender of his inclusion instead of Teen Gohan, who's only a glimpse of the character's life.

While I would definitely buy him and be very happy if he was one of the remaining DLC characters, for the good of the game, it would be better not to have more versions of characters already in.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm

LightBing wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 pm I would like to see Kid Gohan as DLC. one reason, like between his "Teen" form and Adult form, the age gap is so massive they're practically different characters with barely any attacks being the same, and with Kid Gohan being Krillin's size and having short physical attack range, he'll be even more different compared to his older counterparts. Other reason is nostalgia. Namek arc being my favorite of the series, and I liked Gohan the most during that arc, I would definitely buy DLC of Kid Gohan Day One
Totally forgot about him after DLC started rolling out. I was always a defender of his inclusion instead of Teen Gohan, who's only a glimpse of the character's life.
I am also a supporter of the idea of having kid Gohan as a character. Totally agree, he looks different and he uses different attacks. It is indeed a "different version" of the character, much the same as base Goku and ssb Goku.
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 pmWhile I would definitely buy him and be very happy if he was one of the remaining DLC characters, for the good of the game, it would be better not to have more versions of characters already in.
The game has been designed without transformations. There are, instead, different playable versions of the same character. I don't know if this was a good decision, but I can definitely see some advantages to it. But one of the disadvantages is that, if we look at it at a low resolution level of analysis, there is indeed a big number of the same character basically occupying roster spots.

Since they decided to include different versions of the same characters, I feel that the importance of Gohan in the series as a whole makes him deserving of the honor of having 3 versions of himself in the roster (even Broly has 2). But more than that:
- His role in the Saiyan and Namek sagas was way more significant than his role in the Buu saga, but adult Gohan has a spot
- Teen Gohan plays as ssj2. Visually would be completely different than teen Gohan and of course adult Gohan
- I personally feel Z should deserve more love than Super. Not that I dislike Super, at all.

Basically, in my opinion, it wouldn't hurt the game more.
----
I am disappointed in the choice of omega shenron or whatever his name is, if that ends up materializing. But I guess there's no fighting it, GT has numerous and loud fans for some reason; so if it makes most people happy and keeps business running, all the better for it. But I also hope he is super low tier so I don't have to watch it in tournament streams :mrgreen:

My personal choice would be
- kid Gohan
- Kame Sennin
- Freeza first form (transforming into 2nd and 3rd forms in super attacks)

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:33 am

I can hear X-factor Vergil in the background.

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Oh wow. I thought it would just be a buff to level 3 sparking, but no, everybody gets it! This'll certainly change things up.

Y'know, I've been running Freeza on point for so long. Maybe this season, I'll try putting him at the back. The ball is close enough to a beam assist. And this comeback mechanic plus level 3 sparking combined with Golden Freeza? I have to know what that's like.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 pm

What? Are the new features active? I have played the game and been in ranked matches for some time, but haven't noticed any different mechanics.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:55 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 pm What? Are the new features active? I have played the game and been in ranked matches for some time, but haven't noticed any different mechanics.
Patch's coming February 26th.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:57 pm

LightBing wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:55 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 pm What? Are the new features active? I have played the game and been in ranked matches for some time, but haven't noticed any different mechanics.
Patch's coming February 26th.
Ah yes, with the first wave of Season 3 characters! Makes sense, thanks :)
I seriously wonder, if it will change anything during the online play... will the matches be harder, or easier? Will the mechanic add?
I am kind of missing the colored blocking system from Guilty Gear :(
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 pm

The only thing that concerns me about this is I was hoping we'd see a reduction in SS/GT Goku anchor play in season 3, but this sounds like it'll only make them even stronger, Yamcha too. GT will probably get nerfed, but they might leave SS alone, they didn't touch him last balance patch. Him, SS Vegeta and Black were their idea of characters working "as intended" in this game. Vegeta's probably still fine, but Black has entirely dropped off as a lesser version of SS Goku.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:42 am

https://www.openrec.tv/m/live/em8x5j0ykz2

Kefla gameplay and new character's assist. Some notable gameplay changes:

* EX-moves now cost half a gauge.
* Blue health regens slower.
* Ginyu has a new lv3.
* Dragon Rush is faster (you can now chain a light jab into DR for instance).
* The Limit Break damage output is equal to a character having sparking (so even more buttload of damage when combined with sparking)

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm

If it's true that Bandai Namco listen to fans, then they have to put Roshi in. No excuses.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Zamasu55 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm If it's true that Bandai Namco listen to this fan here, then they have to put Roshi in. No excuses.
Fixed that quote for ya :P I seriously, what's so amazing about him?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Full patch notes will come later, for now they only showed some of the changes.