Ideas for Kakarot 2?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku_Fr
Banned

Ideas for Kakarot 2?

Post by Xeno Goku_Fr » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:57 pm

What will the story cover?

How can the game be improved?

The graphics in particular are poor in Kakarot and that's something they can really improve on. The world itself was also a bit lifeless so that could be improved too.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ideas for Kakarot 2?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Cover the actual full manga storyline, not just the last half.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:28 pm

They definitely shouldn't cover Z again, as that was one of the biggest criticisms for the game. The only way I see them doing DB is as DLC, either for the first game or a sequel.

Super would be the most obvious option for the main game.

A sequel needs to make the RPG elements actually necessary, and to do a better job at explaining them, or otherwise do away with them. It would also be nice to see a true open world game, rather than separate maps.

More than anything the game would need lots of development time, and should be next-gen. Make the world feel more alive with better NPCs, and make the side quests much more varied.

I'm enjoying Kakarot and there's a solid foundation there. They just need to take their time to build on it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 pm

-Include the first part of the manga / original Dragon Ball. (Super and/or GT too, just for playability sake)
-Z movies as side missions.
-Make the fishing and hunting mechanics more engaging.
-Improve the permanent stat buffs for meals and make them meaingful. A premium late game meal only doing like +10 attack is worthless.
-Dont skip fights / moments.
-INCLUDE END OF Z. Beyond just an unplayable cutscene too
-Open world, or at least bigger areas so we can have less loading screens. Even we just have 3 or 4 areas total that would be fine by me.
-Improve the fighting. Its fine for an RPG but mashing circle gets old quick.
-More enemy types. Saibaman, 2 types of robots, Freeza soliders, and Babidis minions, LoG2 & Buus Fury had a great variety.
-Make fighting enemies worth it. Shitty exp makes grinding outside of story fights worthless.
-Include ground fights.
-More interaction with your party. Like during meals or at the campfire or even walking/flying around.
-More varied dialogue. Seriously, no matter who you play as its the SAME LINE every time an enemy locks onto you
-Be able to pick your costume. I dont wanna use Vegetas armor after I finish the Buu Saga

Nitpick, but sometimes I just wanna fly around without getting locked onto every 5 seconds

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:13 pm

• Cover Bardock TV Special and Dragon Ball Minus.
• Cover Dragon Ball in its entirely.
• Skips everything seen in the first installment and cover everything that was missed in Dragon Ball Z.
• Cover all movies and OVAs.
• Cover Dragon Ball GT.
• Finish it with an epic battle between Goku and Vegeta, following the context established in Dragon Ball Online.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:13 pm • Cover Bardock TV Special and Dragon Ball Minus.
• Cover Dragon Ball in its entirely.
• Skips everything seen in the first installment and cover everything that was missed in Dragon Ball Z.
• Cover all movies and OVAs.
• Cover Dragon Ball GT.
• Finish it with an epic battle between Goku and Vegeta, following the context established in Dragon Ball Online.
The less Minus sees the light of the better.

And as for skips everything in Kakarot 1 would be stupid. We'd got from 23rd WT, to Nappa killing the Z Fighters, to Vegetas Final Flash. Like what? thats a terrible idea.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:16 pm

¤ Kakarot 2 should adapt Super, contents for both main quests and side quests would be easy with the anime (including filler episodes as side quests) and the manga if needed. Since it's in the direct continuity of Z, the gameplay would have to evolve but not go overboard with re-thinking stuff. Keep the original "Kid Goku" DB for Kakarot 3, as it will require the maximum amount of experience with this series to come up with ideas to adapt the gameplay (no aerial battles to start with, no access to energy stuff except classic big blasts...) and create the much more varied places. In other words, it's easier to have Super as the slight evolution for attempt n°2 and to keep the part that needs major re-thinking for attempt n°3 with more experience.

¤ Don't skip parts with basic slideshows (Goku training in his ship) or off-screen events (Trunks battling and losing against Cell). It's a bit jarring even for those who would discover the story for the first time. If you have no time or resources to complete those events in time, add them with free updates post-release. There are not too many events missing, but when there are, it's missing in a big way with a sudden major skip! Let's not do that again in the sequel.

¤ Have side quests based on actual lines, facts and non-contradictory fillers if needed. There are tons of excuses for little adventures on the side if you turn "just mentionned in passing" lines into actual events, and yet a lot of side quests in Kakarot just come up from nowhere with completely made-up characters ("that unknown cooking woman is in danger for the fourth time, save her yet again!").

¤ Expand on the unique collectibles for fans: having screenshots from the original DB and real-world cards was a nice idea, but you can do even better. Have us collect legendary artworks that were used in many posters in extra-high definition, have us collect completely redrawn versions of screencaps along with the original versions (like being able to alternate between both versions). Have us collect game renditions of the legendary opening videos from the various shows, or redrawn versions of them.
Anyway, it's a great idea to give exclusive collectibles for fans, but they can push this concept even way further than in this first Kakarot.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:18 pmThe less Minus sees the light of the better.
I can't afford to miss Gine. :shifty:
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:18 pmAnd as for skips everything in Kakarot 1 would be stupid. We'd got from 23rd WT, to Nappa killing the Z Fighters, to Vegetas Final Flash. Like what? thats a terrible idea.
Be that as it may, it's just not to repeat the same thing over and over.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:18 pmThe less Minus sees the light of the better.
I can't afford to miss Gine. :shifty:
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:18 pmAnd as for skips everything in Kakarot 1 would be stupid. We'd got from 23rd WT, to Nappa killing the Z Fighters, to Vegetas Final Flash. Like what? thats a terrible idea.
Be that as it may, it's just not to repeat the same thing over and over.
Gine can stay, the rest can go. :lol:

I understand that, but then it would be an even worse problem. Youd have all of DB, but only small pieces of Z. Why not just have the same thing.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:13 pm • Cover Dragon Ball GT.
There's a bit of a continuity issue here. Goku left with Shenron at the end of GT after the Omega fight, and he didn't come back for 100 years, until he visited the 64th Tenkaichi Budokai to see Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr's fight. And he was still a kid when he left with Shenron, and was back into an adult when he came to the Budokai in the future, meaning that at the time in the Online continuity when Goku and Vegeta have their last fight, supposedly when they're starting to near the end of their prime, Goku would be back in his 30s. And even when Goku comes back to the 64th Budokai, he'd be in his 60-70s, so he'd still have a good 20-10 years before he's reached the end of his prime and Vegeta wouldn't be alive at that time, and Goku wouldn't pass away until around after when Xenoverse 1 and 2 happens in the Online continuity. So how are we gonna fit DBGT, Goku leaving with Shenron, Goku and Vegeta's final fight, and the 100 year time skip, and have it all make sense?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 am

Do a original story for once.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:15 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pmI understand that, but then it would be an even worse problem. Youd have all of DB, but only small pieces of Z. Why not just have the same thing.
Sure, whatever makes you happy. Do everything again, as long as it brings more content, then it'll be okay, I guess.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:16 pmSo how are we gonna fit DBGT, Goku leaving with Shenron, Goku and Vegeta's final fight, and the 100 year time skip, and have it all make sense?
We don't have to fit anything, not does it have to follow the years. Once you complete Dragon Ball GT or Dragon Ball Z (after the fight with Uub), you can take a bonus fight which turns out to be the Goku and Vegeta one. Let it be vague enough so that it can take place whenever it makes most sense in the game context (if there's a context at all).

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:11 am

They should first and foremost focus on adding ground battles.
This way we can have Dragon Ball and follow Goku’s adventures from the start, and have some groundwork for whenever they will have to do the Tournament of Power too.

Ideally the sequel should cover all of the manga, and possibly Super too. And it should have the missing parts/cutscenes they didn’t include in Kakarot, and maybe even some stuff like a playable part of Goku running on the Snake Way, his traning on King Kai’s planet and his training on the trip to Namek.
Considering this game would be out for next-gen consoles, keeping all the work they did for Z wouldn’t be redundant as we would have new character models, better graphics and more polished cutscenes. Also this stuff can always be skipped, so it’s not like they would force us to relive Kakarot 1 once again.

I would also like to see a focus on training to gain experience instead of boring exp grinding with fights: they could achieve this by making some fun training minigames.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Original DB should be it's own game. Super can be its own game but could also just be DLC for the first one. Some basic ideas are
  • More quest variety. There were only 3 types of quests and the fetch quests in particular were kinda awful.
  • less "I THINK I CAN HANDLE THIS"
  • One or two new combat mechanics
  • Actually quality control the game. It's super obvious that this got rushed out, so next time make sure most of the bugs are figured out.
  • Do something with the overworld orbs. It does encourage you to fly around and explore but you can do that without cluttering the fuck out of the landscape.
  • More interestingly written sidequests. I wish there more like the "Fake Yamcha" one and less like the various "buy groceries" ones.