"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:37 pm

I personally think Merus will play a key part in the finale. I doubt he will “disappear” as Dragon Ball doesn’t seem to want to go that permanently dramatic these days

My theory is he will lose his status as an angel and become mortal and stay with the Galactic Patrol.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:33 pm

I've been seeing a lot of comments that this is a "filler chapter". I don't entirely agree with the sentiment.

Slower pacing aside, things are happening. Goku made it to Earth in time thanks to Kuririn's distress signal. Gohan and co. are encountering Moro now; they're not just fighting Saganbo, they're indirectly fighting Moro because they're getting a taste of his power. As of this chapter, most of Saganbo's "Galactic Bandit Brigade" has been dealt with. This is all valid plot progression, and it's clearly laying the groundwork for the inevitable Goku/Vegeta vs. Moro encounter in the future.

Now compare this to the previous chapter, which was indeed pure filler. Nothing of consequence happened -- just fan-favorites doing cool stuff for the sake of doing cool stuff. Gohan and Piccolo spend about half the chapter's duration fending off Seven-Three, and where does it lead? Some videogamey combination attack. That's comparable to Kuririn's fight against Yunba... except Kuririn's fight against Yunba is only a few pages long, as is Tenshinhan's battle (and even then, Seven-Three wasn't actually defeated until this chapter). There are still some unimpactful events playing out, but they're relatively minimal here.

I'll readily admit that the flow of the story doesn't really kick off until the latter half of the chapter. I don't love it, but it's a marked improvement over 56.
Formerly Marlowe89.

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:37 pm
My theory is he will lose his status as an angel and become mortal and stay with the Galactic Patrol.
That's my hope for him as well. He seemed to enjoy himself there, and I think he'd probably be happier in the mortal world.

Failing that, I would love to see Jaco assigned Merus's sectors, since he's bragged about his achievements all arc and outright taken credit for one of Merus's captures (I forget which). His absolute horror would be golden :lol:
Irico deserves some kind of credit/promotion as well. Poor guy has had to put up with a lot.
In a way, I'm looking forward to the "aftermath" of this arc just as much as I am the upcoming fight.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 pm

The Undying wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:33 pm I've been seeing a lot of comments that this is a "filler chapter". I don't entirely agree with the sentiment.

I'll readily admit that the flow of the story doesn't really kick off until the latter half of the chapter. I don't love it, but it's a marked improvement over 56.
I agree with you. I don’t understand this sentiment either: last chapter was praised for no reasons in my opinion, as it was mostly filler with some fanservice thrown in the mix. The only interesting stuff was seeing Vegeta on Yardrat (which wasn’t shown this month as it would have been useless).

This chapter had filler too but at least we saw most of the main prisoners being captured or knocked out in the case of the girls trio; Goku also reached Earth and Saganbo began to fight so I would say it felt like the story has moved forward a bit. Unfortunately the pacing is still very slow.
Kinokima wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:37 pm I personally think Merus will play a key part in the finale. I doubt he will “disappear” as Dragon Ball doesn’t seem to want to go that permanently dramatic these days

Well Dragon Ball never went too dramatic in the first place, but in Super’s case it did with the Future Trunks arc which had an entire timeline erased forever.
Merus is a character introduced in this arc, it’s not like they would get rid of someone who’s part of the main cast and we also were told of what happens when an Angel breaks their code. Usually the fact such a thing even gets mentioned in the first place is to foreshadow its happening later in the story.

Maybe they will find a workaround to keep Merus alive but without his Angel powers.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:28 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 pm It would be weird if Merus doesn’t appear anymore in this arc. Maybe he will join the fight, help Goku and Vegeta to take down Moro and later will be destroyed by the Grand Priest? Such a twist may lead up to a future arc.
The first part is what I'm expecting too, like I mentioned in an earlier post. As for the second part, I've been talking to people about this as well. Consensus was that Merus getting killed off for breaking angel rules is a solid way to set up another arc further down the road. Hey, maybe Toyotaro has seen all the El Grande Padre memes, who knows
emperior wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 pm Also Moro not killing anyone from now on would be a missed opportunity. Be it Vegeta or Merus indirectly, or any other Earth warrior, I want to see Moro doing some cruelty to make us despise him more.
Ever since Merus brought up UI is achieved by being calm in a shocking situation I thought someone close to Goku will be killed, and he will not lose his cool thus entering the mastered UI state.
Personally I'm expecting Merus to be the only casualty on the "good" side from here on out. Merus dying is pretty much a perfect situation for Goku to, like you say, not lose his cool over so that he can go full-on Ultra Instinct.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:24 pm

I think 7/3 is going to grab Goku's neck, Vegeta's neck, or Beerus' neck.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:43 am

I have feeling that in the end, Goku and Vegeta will fuse to defeat Moro.

Pretty sure people on this forum won't like this, but from Toyotaro's point of view it is probably the best way to be fair to both Goku and Vegeta.

And considering how other Z wariors were treated, I don't expect anything revolutionary.

Like, seriously, that advisor guy?
Seems more like an atempt to make him matter more; besides, when did we ever saw him advise anyone, anyway?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 am

Vegetto and Gogeta just bring more power. That means Moro is having a buffet. It serves no purpose.
Goku and Vegeta went out of their way to try and defeat Moro's absorption. Fusion would just make them more susceptible to it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:20 am

Miracles wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 am Vegetto and Gogeta just bring more power. That means Moro is having a buffet. It serves no purpose.
Goku and Vegeta went out of their way to try and defeat Moro's absorption. Fusion would just make them more susceptible to it.
Fusions seem more adapt at magic-like abilities for some reason ( see Gotenks) so Goku and Vegeta fusing might just be bring whatever they learned separately together. Not a fan of the fusion either, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:10 am

Michsi wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:20 am
Miracles wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 am Vegetto and Gogeta just bring more power. That means Moro is having a buffet. It serves no purpose.
Fusions seem more adapt at magic-like abilities for some reason ( see Gotenks) so Goku and Vegeta fusing might just be bring whatever they learned separately together. Not a fan of the fusion either, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I highly doubt we'll get 2 fusion endings in a row (Broly, then Moro). I think the more likely thing is that Vegeta will get the final fight, but something will happen that will result in Merus getting involved to either kill him or imprison him again. Another thing that could happen is Buu and Goku getting involved to help deliver that final push to finish him off.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Toyotaro went out of his way to have Vegeta say he won’t collaborate with Goku anymore, at the very beginning of the arc. And Goku was fine with that. I would say that’s some foreshadowing that the end of Moro won’t be by Goku and Vegeta fusing or fighting 2v1.

Also quite frankly it would be a nice change if this time around the main villain is taken out by one warrior. Everyone expects Moro’s end to be, once again, a teamwork effort. I think Cell was the last enemy who was taken out in a 1v1 battle? Freeza in Resurrection F doesn’t really count as a solo by Goku’s part, considering he essentially lost the battle and was only thanks to Whis and Beerus that he had another chance.

I honestly won’t mind it at all if Vegeta is the one taking out Moro for good and by himself. Goku, Majin Buu and even Merus and everyone else can help by fighting Moro at some parts, but the most unexpected turn of events, for me, would be if Vegeta comes back with an incredible technique and power-up and decides to go 1 on 1 against Moro, eventually beating him.

Moro already feels very much like a Piccolo Daimao clone, so Toyotaro could also sort of borrow that arc’s ending by having Vegeta go through an incredibly difficult fight with him barely pulling the win at the end, while everyone else is out because their energy has been drained.

Dragon Ball needs more of these kind of fights where one warrior goes through an extremely difficult equal battle but is able to secure a last minute win against all odds. I think only 2 fights in the entire series fit this description, and those are the two Goku vs Piccolo fights.
While other examples of 1v1s are Goku vs Freeza and Gohan vs Cell, which have their own twists and turns but follow the formula of “hero is at disadvantage, gains a new power and overwhelms the foe”.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:57 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm Also quite frankly it would be a nice change if this time around the main villain is taken out by one warrior. Everyone expects Moro’s end to be, once again, a teamwork effort. I think Cell was the last enemy who was taken out in a 1v1 battle? Freeza in Resurrection F doesn’t really count as a solo by Goku’s part, considering he essentially lost the battle and was only thanks to Whis and Beerus that he had another chance.

I don't think Beerus and Whis helped more, nor less than the Z Warriors did helping Gohan at the final moments with Cell. Ten for example was shooting Kikoho at Cell, and it was a father-son Kamehameha... kinda hard to do that solo!
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Wilderness wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:57 pm
emperior wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm Also quite frankly it would be a nice change if this time around the main villain is taken out by one warrior. Everyone expects Moro’s end to be, once again, a teamwork effort. I think Cell was the last enemy who was taken out in a 1v1 battle? Freeza in Resurrection F doesn’t really count as a solo by Goku’s part, considering he essentially lost the battle and was only thanks to Whis and Beerus that he had another chance.

I don't think Beerus and Whis helped more, nor less than the Z Warriors did helping Gohan at the final moments with Cell. Ten for example was shooting Kikoho at Cell, and it was a father-son Kamehameha... kinda hard to do that solo!
That was anime-only. In the manga the only one who helped killing off Cell during the final Kamehameha was Vegeta. While all Goku did was giving Gohan moral and mental support, unlike popular belief the father-son Kamehameha is not some kind of powered-up wave, it’s just Gohan letting go of all his power.

And everything Vegeta did was provide a distraction for that final push by Gohan, and considering Gohan was basically one-armed for protecting Vegeta I would say that was all fair game and still counts as a 1v1 finish by Gohan in my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:14 pm

I know this is Dragon Ball and even characters that get erased can be revived, but I would like Merus to be erased for good. Some consequences would be cool and after the conversation of Whis with Grand Priest, that should happen.

Introduce a random new angel only to help Goku master Ultra Instinct, something that the angel from U7 has already been doing for the past years seems pointless, unless if you plan to do something interesting with the new one.

As for the one beating Moro, either Merus sacrificing or Vegeta giving the final blow would be cool for me. I definitely don't want fusion or Goku to do it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 am

emperior wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pmI think Cell was the last enemy who was taken out in a 1v1 battle?
Vegeta played a part by distracting him long enough for Gohan to finish him off. The true last one on fight was Goku vs Freeza on Namek.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:36 pm

I doubt Goku and Vegeta fuse. Doesn't fit the narrative. The story went out of it's way to make Vegeta betray his Saiyan pride, of beating opponents with fists, to humbling himself and learning a technique contrary to his view of battle. It would also take away from Goku's theme of self improvement. Especially deny the inner growth Goku gained after facing the stronger Broly. Which was a deeper appreciation for his Saiyan heritage. Broly "probably" being stronger than Beerus, who is a god, as a mere mortal Saiyan, inspired Kakarot.

The story has given both our protag's powers that has taken them months to acquire. I highly doubt Toriyama and Toyotaro will throw all that work away. It's time for our protagonists to develop on their own. There must be some positive repercussions from the past arc now. Goku and Vegeta has to show they can compete at higher levels than before. Besides we've seen fusion already, lol.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm

well seen the chapter

good things
-I will only say that it was a relief that Moro arrived that means that the main battle will soon begin
- It was a good twist that the most problematic warrior was not the hit copy
- Krillin's fight was good although it reminded me of a fic ... strange

and that is all

bad things ..

- I've definitely lost hope tien shinhan must retire from the fights ... he don't do anything until their participation in the Top was better for me than this
-if with caulifla and kale in the manga it is not clear with this it is confirmed ... neither toriyama nor toyotaro know how to write female characters .. at least female warriors, toei has overcome them in that

neutral

-Moro still seems boring to me but I think it's finally time to he shows something interesting, that is, it is the final battle to justify all that waiting

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 am

Miracles wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:36 pm I doubt Goku and Vegeta fuse. Doesn't fit the narrative. The story went out of it's way to make Vegeta betray his Saiyan pride, of beating opponents with fists, to humbling himself and learning a technique contrary to his view of battle. It would also take away from Goku's theme of self improvement. Especially deny the inner growth Goku gained after facing the stronger Broly. Which was a deeper appreciation for his Saiyan heritage. Broly "probably" being stronger than Beerus, who is a god, as a mere mortal Saiyan, inspired Kakarot.

The story has given both our protag's powers that has taken them months to acquire. I highly doubt Toriyama and Toyotaro will throw all that work away. It's time for our protagonists to develop on their own. There must be some positive repercussions from the past arc now. Goku and Vegeta has to show they can compete at higher levels than before. Besides we've seen fusion already, lol.
Well said. Fusion won’t appear in this arc, that much is clear. It may not even ever happen again, or so I wish.

Goku and Vegeta developing in two different paths is a good thing. If it continues in future arcs, it will spark all those debates about “who is better/stronger than who” which will add to their rivalry, and would make an incredible movie if they ever decide to do a movie about their final fight mentioned in Dragon Ball Online!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:12 am

emperior wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 amGoku and Vegeta developing in two different paths is a good thing. If it continues in future arcs, it will spark all those debates about “who is better/stronger than who” which will add to their rivalry, and would make an incredible movie if they ever decide to do a movie about their final fight mentioned in Dragon Ball Online!
I don't think that exact story will get adapted, as Goku and Vegeta seemingly killing each other isn't a direction I think they'll take. I do however agree that we'll eventually get one last fight between them where they're not enemies and no evil plot is going on in the background, just 2 friends giving it their all to prove who's truly #1.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:21 pm

What technique do you think Vegeta learned on Yardrat? His spirit control seems to have given him a boost in power, which is always nice, but power alone vs Moro won’t cut it.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku