Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:39 am

Got some caps from the region 2 DVD from a friend. The shot with 18 and Vegeta looks a tad better on the BluRay and the grain looks a little cleaner. Id definitely be up for this.
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DZL77NNX

To the mods: is it ok to share a 30sec clip? I just want to make sure before posting

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Sorry for the double post. But is this bootleg?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z- ... %7Ciid%3A1

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:54 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pm Sorry for the double post. But is this bootleg?
I would assume so, since no one here's commented on a Spanish BR set for Z.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:54 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pm Sorry for the double post. But is this bootleg?
Hmm I wonder if it atucally a bluray or the same old bootleg dvds in a new box?

On a side note, I've been watching the special features from the season blurays and they legit showed the orange bricks in the background. Which wouldnt have been 100% noticable except the chose to show the Orange Bricks biggest fault :lol:

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 pm

I forget which disc it was on but somewhere, there's an interview with the person who directed the remaster for the season set blu-rays and talking about that whole process.

Some of these bonus features they left in are hilariously outdated.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:11 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 pm I forget which disc it was on but somewhere, there's an interview with the person who directed the remaster for the season set blu-rays and talking about that whole process.

Some of these bonus features they left in are hilariously outdated.
I've seen that one! The number of times he takes a huge gulp and plays with the thumbs when bringing up either aspect ratio or restoration really gives a *blink if they're making you say this* vibe :lol: :lol:

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 pm Image
Holy shit! That's hilarious! Dumbfucks! :crazy:
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:54 pm
Hmm I wonder if it atucally a bluray or the same old bootleg dvds in a new box?

On a side note, I've been watching the special features from the season blurays and they legit showed the orange bricks in the background. Which wouldnt have been 100% noticable except the chose to show the Orange Bricks biggest fault :lol:
Just wow, the lines breaking up in Vegeta's face there are a dead giveaway. It's so overwhelmingly obvious that the footage on the monitor is not from the Season BD's which he actually is talking about. :lol:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 pm

ect5150 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:50 pm
As much as I really dont mind the 30th set. It does baffle me that they're so quick to denounce the early inhouse dub (they they tenchally kept 95% of anyway) but never their bad relases or even try to fix them with replacements or later pressings.

As much as the crop in the dvds suck I can see why they'd be passable but the line removal shoulda had a recall and replacement program but they're still there! I think out of all the retreds, hacks and blunders that highlights their lack of good business practeces in the home video market.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 pm
As much as I really dont mind the 30th set. It does baffle me that they're so quick to denounce the early inhouse dub (they they tenchally kept 95% of anyway) but never their bad relases or even try to fix them with replacements or later pressings.

As much as the crop in the dvds suck I can see why they'd be passable but the line removal shoulda had a recall and replacement program but they're still there! I think out of all the retreds, hacks and blunders that highlights their lack of good business practeces in the home video market.
Its baffling, their first dub wasnt good or anything but at least it had nostalgia charm for it and felt like a late 90s early 2000's companies first dub. Not like the one on the orange bricks, or season sets or 30thA where the earlier parts are re dubbed with more experienced VAs only to go back to the first more meh dub coupled with new lines here and there and since they fucked up they dont have the original faulconer and friends score so they had to go back to pre finished stems to semi reconstruct it with bad results.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:22 am

10gigtriforce wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 am

Its baffling, their first dub wasnt good or anything but at least it had nostalgia charm for it and felt like a late 90s early 2000's companies first dub. Not like the one on the orange bricks, or season sets or 30thA where the earlier parts are re dubbed with more experienced VAs only to go back to the first more meh dub coupled with new lines here and there and since they fucked up they dont have the original faulconer and friends score so they had to go back to pre finished stems to semi reconstruct it with bad results.
I dont know why they cant just use the audio on the dvds or the actual ''original'' broadcast audio

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:22 am

I dont know why they cant just use the audio on the dvds or the actual ''original'' broadcast audio
I dont ether. I *think* they want us to forget it happened so they could kill it since its quality is on a technical level below what they are currently pushing. But what they are currently pushing is still shite, it just doesnt have the true nostalgia factor or late 90's first dub 'charm' to it. Which is why i still hold on to my dvd single remuxes when i wanna watch the dub over the BA. What is it with the DB rights holders trying to bury their first run work? Toei tries to keep the broadcast audio down, funi their original dub. its maddening.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:29 am

10gigtriforce wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 am

I dont ether. I *think* they want us to forget it happened so they could kill it since its quality is on a technical level below what they are currently pushing. But what they are currently pushing is still shite, it just doesnt have the true nostalgia factor or late 90's first dub 'charm' to it. Which is why i still hold on to my dvd single remuxes when i wanna watch the dub over the BA. What is it with the DB rights holders trying to bury their first run work? Toei tries to keep the broadcast audio down, funi their original dub. its maddening.
I mean, i get that the in house Z dub was a garbage product of the late '90s/early 2000's which they aren't proud of but that still doesn't mean it didn't happen.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:39 am

Agreed, in-house dub may have been rough around the edges in some way, but trying to pretend it never happened just looks awkward.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:54 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:29 am
10gigtriforce wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 am
I mean, i get that the in house Z dub was a garbage product of the late '90s/early 2000's which they aren't proud of but that still doesn't mean it didn't happen.
You're right it was, and the partial redub doesnt make it didnt happen. it really didnt fix any of the actual issues and only served to kill the nostalgia love, much the same as what lucas did to star wars, release a product that improves nothing and arguably hurts the product, and keep the original locked away forever.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:22 am I don't know why they cant just use the audio on the dvds or the actual ''original'' broadcast audio
It's not like they can't, especially since Sabat has copies of that audio, it's just that Toei, for some unfathomable reason that escapes me, just isn't interested. I mean, they pulled a BBC & junked all of the original audio elements, so a 5.1 remix of the audio is impossible, but, when they have access to the original stereo masters from the TV broadcasts, I have NO idea why they don't bother, since they only need a small team of people to edit together, watch for any desync, & finalize the editing on each episode, which doesn't take long even for amateurs in iMovie, so it would take experienced audio engineers with access to better tech & software less time than that. Pay them for their time when they're done & Toei would have great audio masters. Remaster all of the episodes from the original film & they'd have the perfect, ideal remaster of Z.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:34 pm

I don’t entirely buy that Funimation is disowning their early in-house work. Some characters have their lines redubbed but that was to make the transition from the 2005 episodes smoother the actual lines pretty much stayed closed to the same with minor adjustments (You can’t be that embarrassed of your early work when you seriously have Sabat and Young redub that fucking idiotic countdown joke verbatim) and the redubbing aside from the narrator (again for consistency) pretty much stopped once they got to the 2000 dubbed episodes.

If they had any actual self awareness of how bad their early in-house work was they would have put a lot more work into the redubbing process. They seemed more ready to disown their work with Ocean/Saban than anything (Funimation was very careful to refer to the Rock the Dragon sets as the Ocean dub because god forbid they cop to being the ones in charge of that pony show)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:29 am I mean, i get that the in house Z dub was a garbage product of the late '90s/early 2000's which they aren't proud of but that still doesn't mean it didn't happen.
I honestly wouldn't even be proud of the remastered dub. Some of the performances are better but it's really grating when you have 07 Sabat clashing with 99 Schemmel. The two approaches to dubbing are incompatible with one another and the product comes off very disjointed and poorly produced. The original dub was at least consistent in of itself and if not taken too seriously can be enjoyed for what it is.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:29 am I mean, i get that the in house Z dub was a garbage product of the late '90s/early 2000's which they aren't proud of but that still doesn't mean it didn't happen.
I honestly wouldn't even be proud of the remastered dub. Some of the performances are better but it's really grating when you have 07 Sabat clashing with 99 Schemmel. The two approaches to dubbing are incompatible with one another and the product comes off very disjointed and poorly produced. The original dub was at least consistent in of itself and if not taken too seriously can be enjoyed for what it is.
Exactly! They took a nostalgia drug and tried to fixit very lazily and now its worse and us paying customers lose in the end

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:12 pm

I dunno how its any worse (cropping and color saturation aside) just not much better. The 1999 dub is laughably bad the 2007 partial redub is barely improved and keeps to much of the garbage from 1999 to ultimately matter. They put the Japanese score back in and Nadolny and Sabat sound slightly less awful (until they don’t) that was their big improvement. Also the narrator is slightly less embarrassing.