We still don’t know much about Moro

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

We still don’t know much about Moro

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:07 pm

All we know is that he’s an Ancient Goat Wizard that first appeared 10 million years ago and eats planets. Hence “Planet Eater Moro.”
And that he fought the Kaioshins during that time and that his magic got sealed away and he locked up in prison.

Beyond that?

Not much really..

• We don’t know wether he was born or created.
• We don’t know when, and where, he was born or by who he was created, and for what purpose.
• Is he from an actual race in the living universe? Are there more Goat like wizard creatures like him out there? And from what planet?
• Or is he from the Dark Demon Realm like Dabura and the father-son duo of Bibidi and Babidi?
• If he is from the Demon Realm, isn’t he the perfect candidate to be the official Makaioshin of Universe 7? We know Dabura was described as the “King” of the Demon Realm, but never was it anywhere stated that he was the official Makaioshin.
• Is Moro just 10 million years old? Or is he much older, and only appeared 10 million years ago?

These are all valid questions that haven’t been answered yet, and should at least definitely be answered imo.
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: We still don’t know much about Moro

Post by Miracles » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm

We are getting closer to where the plot is going to solely focus on him.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 pm

He went to the same summer camp as Babidi.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:34 am

Yeah I am a little worried we are in for one large expository dump. If so I hope it's like one entire chapter dedicated to his origin or something

Whis

Post by Whis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Still he makes this arc the most interesting one in super with magic.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:14 pm

It reminds me of the Future Trunks arc. Before ep. 61 we basically knew nothing about Black's identity, aside from the fact that he had a connection to Zamasu but wasn't actually him (this would be proven false later on). Then in ep. 61 we basically have a very long expository sequence where Black explains his identity, his plan, how Future Zamasu fit into all of this, etc. Guess it's the same thing here with Moro, they'll eventually reveal what's his deal, probably towards the climax of the arc.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 pm

I have a terrible feeling that Toyotaro is going to pull a Jiren (Anime) and dump a backstory and character arc in the 11th hour. I hope that's not the case, but given the final battle is literally gonna start in the next chapter or the chapter after that at the very latest, that seems to be what is going to happen.

I just want some kind of characterisation from Moro, because holy shit, he is a literal black hole of personality. He has no interesting dynamic with anybody. If you asked me name a single character beat from Moro in the entire arc so far, I'd have a hard time thinking of one that springs to my mind, let alone a character beat that was actually good.

Moro really is shaping up to being the worst main antagonist Dragon Ball has produced since the Super #17 in GT. People are gonna say that his design and his abilities make up for his lack of personality, but I ain't buying that shit.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:58 pm

His design is not that great to be honest…. he just looks like a generic evil monster.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 pm I have a terrible feeling that Toyotaro is going to pull a Jiren (Anime) and dump a backstory and character arc in the 11th hour. I hope that's not the case, but given the final battle is literally gonna start in the next chapter or the chapter after that at the very latest, that seems to be what is going to happen.

I just want some kind of characterisation from Moro, because holy shit, he is a literal black hole of personality. He has no interesting dynamic with anybody. If you asked me name a single character beat from Moro in the entire arc so far, I'd have a hard time thinking of one that springs to my mind, let alone a character beat that was actually good.

Moro really is shaping up to being the worst main antagonist Dragon Ball has produced since the Super #17 in GT. People are gonna say that his design and his abilities make up for his lack of personality, but I ain't buying that shit.
Yeah, like how Moro is the fiend who killed Jiren's family, friends, and teacher.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:03 am

What more is there to add at this point? He's a bad 'un who threatened the universe thousands of years ago, now he's back for revenge. I don't think he needs much more than that in terms of backstory, he just needs more interesting characterisation in the present. So far he just wants to eat people because he's evil. To be fair, that sums up Cell pretty accurately as well, but Cell at least had charisma.

His design has also gotten worse with every powerup. I like old man Moro with the beard, young Moro looks bleh.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:34 am

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:03 am What more is there to add at this point? He's a bad 'un who threatened the universe thousands of years ago, now he's back for revenge. I don't think he needs much more than that in terms of backstory, he just needs more interesting characterisation in the present. So far he just wants to eat people because he's evil. To be fair, that sums up Cell pretty accurately as well, but Cell at least had charisma.

His design has also gotten worse with every powerup. I like old man Moro with the beard, young Moro looks bleh.
I’m flabbergasted by the amount of things that are wrong with your post. First of all, it has not been thousands of years, it has been MILLIONS. (10 million years to be exact). Big difference. Secondly, what’s there to like about an old, UGLY Moro with wrinkles, a long beard, a bad posture, and weak might? The new and young Moro is infinitely better in every aspect. Thirdly, there is a lot to add like the points i mentioned in my OP. Yes we do need a lot of information. That’s what fans of a certain franchise requier. We have every right to be entitled to more detailed information, considering we support the official release, and keep them into existence.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 am

Does he really need a backstory though? By design, it doesn't seem so.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:19 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:34 am
Kataphrut wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:03 am What more is there to add at this point? He's a bad 'un who threatened the universe thousands of years ago, now he's back for revenge. I don't think he needs much more than that in terms of backstory, he just needs more interesting characterisation in the present. So far he just wants to eat people because he's evil. To be fair, that sums up Cell pretty accurately as well, but Cell at least had charisma.

I’m flabbergasted by the amount of things that are wrong with your post. First of all, it has not been thousands of years, it has been MILLIONS. (10 million years to be exact). Big difference. Secondly, what’s there to like about an old, UGLY Moro with wrinkles, a long beard, a bad posture, and weak might? The new and young Moro is infinitely better in every aspect. Thirdly, there is a lot to add like the points i mentioned in my OP. Yes we do need a lot of information. That’s what fans of a certain franchise requier. We have every right to be entitled to more detailed information, considering we support the official release, and keep them into existence.
Alright, steady on. First of all, thousands, millions, same difference.

Secondly, I think old Moro looks way more intimidating, and unique. It's mainly the beard, that adds a lot, but looking frail while being threatening fits with the classic DB trope of the most dangerous opponent being the one that looks unassuming. Once he gets young, he just looks generic.

And lastly, you don't actually need any of that, and acting like it's a right for fans is weirdly entitled. Freeza never needed it and he's the best villain in the franchise. Sometimes less is more.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:35 am

wolflonnie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 am Does he really need a backstory though? By design, it doesn't seem so.
Yes, every character needs a backstory. That’s the way a show should be written, i can’t believe i even need to explain this.

And Kataphrut, “less is more” does not apply to a lack of information. A lack of information is ALWAYS bad, and makes the writer look really lazy and uninterested in his/her own work. Not a good sign at all.

Also, “Thousands” and “Millions” are NOT the same thing. Why do i need to keep lecturing you about basic things that should be common sense to anyone?

Whis

Post by Whis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:35 am

wolflonnie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 am Does he really need a backstory though? By design, it doesn't seem so.
Actually, he just needs to be intimidating and making everything hopeless for the z warriors at this point. It seems quite typical to explain if there's more reason as to why he's power hungry, he'd be just like any other villain. What's different is his gimmick to nullify ki which makes him scary as a bad guy because now Goku and Vegeta can't match him with strength alone. They have to figure out new ways to bring the antagonist down which I find really intriguing and fresh in DB story-telling.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:23 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:35 am
Yes, every character needs a backstory. That’s the way a show should be written, i can’t believe i even need to explain this.

And Kataphrut, “less is more” does not apply to a lack of information. A lack of information is ALWAYS bad, and makes the writer look really lazy and uninterested in his/her own work. Not a good sign at all.

Also, “Thousands” and “Millions” are NOT the same thing. Why do i need to keep lecturing you about basic things that should be common sense to anyone?
No they don't. Some characters work better with a lack of background. Overfilling a character's bio ruins the reader's imagination and enjoyment sometimes.
It's not laziness, rather an artistic, creative, choice with some thinking behind. Not all the times obviously.
"Should I need to tell this character's past? If yes, how? If no, why?"

Background can be expressed by vague, interesting statements or hints, we don't need the whole package.
Moro is some sort of creepy demon/biblic monster with ungodly and rotten powers, we don't need much more than that.
A character like Broly, on the contrary, needs a background, since he's tied to the main characters and their lore.
Whis wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:35 am
Actually, he just needs to be intimidating and making everything hopeless for the z warriors at this point. It seems quite typical to explain if there's more reason as to why he's power hungry, he'd be just like any other villain. What's different is his gimmick to nullify ki which makes him scary as a bad guy because now Goku and Vegeta can't match him with strength alone. They have to figure out new ways to bring the antagonist down which I find really intriguing and fresh in DB story-telling.
I think Moro needs sort of better insight. What's his end goal, why, and then terrorize the z warriors to show he can actually achieve that.
It would be fantastic if he could leave one irriversible damage that can't be undone, but this is Dragonball so "irriversible" doesn't exist, as much as I love the franchise.

Whis

Post by Whis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:13 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:23 pm I think Moro needs sort of better insight. What's his end goal, why, and then terrorize the z warriors to show he can actually achieve that.
It would be fantastic if he could leave one irriversible damage that can't be undone, but this is Dragonball so "irriversible" doesn't exist, as much as I love the franchise.
Oh yeah better insight is required to further him as a character, likewise I hope he just don't end up as a another generic DB bad guy that's being evil for evil sake.

You know what could be irriversible? What if he suddenly chose to destroy the dragon balls or made some kind of curse so that if anyone dies they won't come back, and the new dragon balls cannot resurrect anyone who died while he lived, even the super dragon balls won't work.

Now this would put some stakes in I think.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Whis wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:13 pm
wolflonnie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:23 pm I think Moro needs sort of better insight. What's his end goal, why, and then terrorize the z warriors to show he can actually achieve that.
Oh yeah better insight is required to further him as a character, likewise I hope he just don't end up as a another generic DB bad guy that's being evil for evil sake.

You know what could be irriversible? What if he suddenly chose to destroy the dragon balls or made some kind of curse so that if anyone dies they won't come back, and the new dragon balls cannot resurrect anyone who died while he lived, even the super dragon balls won't work.

Now this would put some stakes in I think.
Depends. He could do that, like Zamasu did in the Future timeline. But he'd need to gather the Dragon Balls first, and it doesn't look like he's in the position to do so.

If the Dragon Balls are destroyed in the Present timeline, it will probably happen after the End of Z. No point in having such a drastic change during this "peace period" imho.

Whis

Post by Whis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:58 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:33 pm Depends. He could do that, like Zamasu did in the Future timeline. But he'd need to gather the Dragon Balls first, and it doesn't look like he's in the position to do so.

If the Dragon Balls are destroyed in the Present timeline, it will probably happen after the End of Z. No point in having such a drastic change during this "peace period" imho.
Ok, my idea was; anyone who died while he lived don't come back. Maybe he could curse/corrupt the dragons somehow so that they can't grant any wish that's about resurrecting those who died by Moro. He would have total control over life, death, the other world and hell for the time being.

Basically I'm saying he would be omnipotent and the z warriors has to be really cautious not to shoot themselves in the food to defeat him for good.

I think this could be refreshing because now Goku can't be too carefree in Moro's terror. He would have to stop him quick before he consume every single thing that's living.

Or maybe they just have to stop him before he consume the cosmos like Cell albeit in an universal scale.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:24 pm

I like Moro's old bearded; hunch back self. I also adored that cloak he wore. It fit the image of an evil wizard with that villainous hood over his head. This does fit Toriyama's the weaker looking guy is strongest concept in his story. I thought it would of been even good Toriyama humor to have Moro appear the way he looks now and get older the more powerful he got to represent that million year lifespan.

However, I'm still digging what is currently going on with Moro despite my preferences.