How Yamcha could get relevant, even though he won't since... Well, he's Yamcha.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How Yamcha could get relevant, even though he won't since... Well, he's Yamcha.

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:28 am

Like, if I was high, or not, who cares, I would dedicate one movie where I'd introduce some new concept where our IRL world is another one of the universes, such as Universe 0, and Yamcha is actually normal human from our world who as child got lost, and ended up in Universe 7.

Some goddess character / Yamcha's future girl would appear, and say that there is some connection with so called things "memes" from Universe 0, which are about Yamcha being weak, but in U7 they make Yamcha stronger, and because there are endless suplies of those, Yamcha at his base is SSB Gogeta level from DBS: Broly movie.

And if that wasn't enough, this movie is also about Janemba becoming canon, and instead of that demon from DBZ Movie 12, the one who becomes Janemba by absorbing all the evil of the Otherworld is Yamcha, but eventually he gets his senses back, and can transform into Yamchanemba at will without going all apeshit.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: How Yamcha could get relevant, even though he won't since... Well, he's Yamcha.

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:43 am

Psajdak wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:28 am And if that wasn't enough, this movie is also about Janemba becoming canon, and instead of that demon from DBZ Movie 12, the one who becomes Janemba by absorbing all the evil of the Otherworld is Yamcha, but eventually he gets his senses back, and can transform into Yamchanemba at will without going all apeshit.
This little bit actually makes sense. Instead of some random Otherworld Ogre slipping into the washing machine it could be one of the Earthlings (ok let's be honest, Yamcha or Krillin. This kinda bullshit is totally their MO). When the monster transitions into its demon look Goku could have a flash back to one of his fights in Dragon Ball with them and suddenly realize what's going on.

I'd watch it. Maybe. I mean, I have to because that's what being part of a fandom means but I might actually enjoy it. At least there'd be the chance to see Dragon Ball era sequences animated in a modern big budget style.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: How Yamcha could get relevant, even though he won't since... Well, he's Yamcha.

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:05 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamcha

"Yamcha is commonly joked as one of the weaker fighters by fans of the series. When younger fans would belittle the character as weak, Krillin's voice actress Mayumi Tanaka said she would explain to them that Krillin and Yamcha are the strongest earthlings, the other characters are all aliens. Despite this, he has been used as a joke that appears in internet memes, T-shirts and action figures"

"Yamcha is one of the oldest protagonists in the Dragon Ball series. He is a skilled human martial artist, in the Wolf Fang Fist style. While he is greatly outclassed by other fighters by the time Dragon Ball Z rolls around, he was a major presence and a fun and popular character in the original Dragon Ball series."

With the above in mind, I'd like to see some stories focus on the human characters in the DB universe. With Yamcha, we could see how he was getting by after he moved on from Bulma, and how his martial arts are going.

Sometimes because of the expanded universe and its alien beings, it's easy to look down on the human characters as not being cool enough now. I'm not sure if that was how Toriyama intended things to go, but it is what it is. At least Tien and Roshi got some focus and upgrade in DBS.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:55 pm

I’m sorry but no. Universe 0 mentioning memes? Yamchanemba? Come on now. This isn’t 2005.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:55 pm I’m sorry but no. Universe 0 mentioning memes? Yamchanemba? Come on now. This isn’t 2005.
I dunno it feels pretty 2005. Super Saiyan states with weird hair colors, multiverse tournaments, previously unknown planet filled with Saiyans, Yamcha memes... Shit, slap an acne breakout on me and you could probably convince me I'd fallen through a timewarp.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 pm

Steal Goku's body and kill Vegeta once and for all!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:58 pm

I didn’t even realize until this thread that Yamcha has his own Wikipedia page. I guess the dead Yamcha meme is just too iconic.

Anyway, making Yamcha and Janemba the same character seems like it would be a bit of a weird direction to go in, but I can’t deny that it’s creative. You could probably do without the Universe 0 thing, though.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:11 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:00 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:55 pm I’m sorry but no. Universe 0 mentioning memes? Yamchanemba? Come on now. This isn’t 2005.
I dunno it feels pretty 2005. Super Saiyan states with weird hair colors, multiverse tournaments, previously unknown planet filled with Saiyans, Yamcha memes... Shit, slap an acne breakout on me and you could probably convince me I'd fallen through a timewarp.
Well you got me there :lol: :lol:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:40 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 pm Steal Goku's body and kill Vegeta once and for all!
Zamasu would finally be proud of a mortal.

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:51 pm

I know this thread's about making Yamcha relevant, but I feel like it would make more sense for Buu to become Janemba, since Janemba is basically Buu with a new coat of paint and abilities... plus a sword.

So like, in the process of being reincarnated, the Otherworld staff messes up and brings Evil Buu back in a new body. Defeating him finally cleanses the soul and then Uub is born shortly after.

Even Hell literally breaking loose and old enemies escaping can be recycled, and Yamcha can get his limelight and regain his honor by taking down the entire group of Saibamen, and even Nappa for good measure.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm

Make Yamcha relevant by giving him a spinoff series about his baseball career. I'd read it.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:58 pm

TheBigBoy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm Make Yamcha relevant by giving him a spinoff series about his baseball career. I'd read it.
Me too. It probably wouldn't pull big numbers but sports manga are almost always fun. Plus, I really really want a Dragon Ball story where the emotional highs and lows aren't tied to fate of the universe plots.