Zeno, Supreme God or Situational Chump

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Zeno, Supreme God or Situational Chump

Post by ssj3kakarot » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Dragonball has a habit of introducing someone as the god or ruler of something, only to reveal that there is another level to the hierarchy.

Kami, King Kai, Supreme Kai, God of Destruction, etc.

Please refresh my memory but I'm not sure that dragonball has ever stated that a character is the "end of the road" like they have with Zeno. Meaning there have ( if i recall) been lines of dialog saying Zeno is the top dog in all the lands of Narnia. With something like that being stated, do you think they will ever retcon that by having someone even more SUPER DUPER than Zeno, or have someone that can defeat Zeno? In the ToP, they just make Zeno seem so odd. He can squeeze his hand and an entire universe is erased instantly, but he can't see high speed fights? His IQ seems off, even though the Grand Priest makes him seem like is actually very thoughtful. He definitely seems very Toriyama like as far as an all powerful being.

With all the fan manga stuff about angels trying to over throw Zeno, i just wonder if it'll ever be something in the show/manga. Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this, if you're so inclined.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Zeno, Supreme God or Situational Chump

Post by theherodjl » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:25 pm

Toriyama himself is already stated to be "the supreme ruler of the Dragon World" in guide material, meaning that Zeno isn't truly the supreme being in DB but merely serves the role because fans probably wouldn't take Toribot seriously.
Zeno seems to be like a walking, talking Ultimate Nullifier in that he can erase a universe or multiverse if he so chooses but doesn't really have many abilities or knowledge beside that. Since Zeno just exists to be a destroyer, there is room for something or someone to be above him similar to how there can be beings above Hakaishin; there just hasn't been an excuse to do so yet.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:27 pm

There have already been some people who challenged his status as almighty god. Zamasu sought to become the Supreme God in the Future multiverse and defied Zeno. Hearts from the Heroes series wanted to dethrone Zeno and free all mortals from his rule.

Zeno honestly never looked like the top-dog to me, I think there's someone else behind the scenes. He's feared because he is immortal and he can erase anything he wants, even the entire multiverse. But aside from that, he does not transcend time and he does not actually fight, nor is he more experienced than other deities as far as fighting is concerned. He had trouble keeping track of Dyspo's speed, when the other angels had no problem following him. These are some serious flaws that an an almighty god should not have. That's why I think he might just be a puppet or a pawn or, I don't know, someone who was put there to rule in someone else's stead. Zalama might be above Zeno, who knows. He must be a very powerful individual, if he was able to create planet-sized artifacts that can grant *any* wish.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:07 pm

It's probably not what Toriyama intended but I've always seen Zeno as something akin to Gaea in Greek mythology. He's a being that just came into being and has always more or less existed. His powers allow him to create and take life on a whim and Creation sorta just developed around him. Like Gaea gave birth to Heaven (who went on to become her husband because Greeks loved incest), Zeno created the beings that would go on to establish the heavenly order but he himself wasn't responsible for establishing the rules.

At least that's my headcanon until the next batch of retcons.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:19 pm

If Zeno's like a kid, maybe they'll introduce a relative, like his parents or older brother/sister.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:01 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:29 pmdo you think they will ever retcon that by having someone even more SUPER DUPER than Zeno, or have someone that can defeat Zeno?
Does this count to you?

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:12 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:01 pm
ssj3kakarot wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:29 pmdo you think they will ever retcon that by having someone even more SUPER DUPER than Zeno, or have someone that can defeat Zeno?
Does this count to you?

LOL. I joked a while back about Tori-bot just wearing a Zeno costume
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:41 pm

I like the theory that Zeno, Zuno, and Zalama are 3 parts (destruction, knowledge, and creation) of the same being that was split apart.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147