Should the series introduce God forms for other races?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sadala Elite
Banned

Should the series introduce God forms for other races?

Post by Sadala Elite » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Like Super Namekian God or Super Human God, or like how Freeza's Golden form is basically his race's God mode?

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: Should the series introduce God forms for other races?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:53 pm

I think it's a little late for that. It might have been cool coming right after of Ressurection F or something, maybe an arc focusing on the Unremarkable Earthlings (and Gohan) coming to grips with just how outclassed they were and looking for some sort of solution to even the playing field. But with Ultimate Instinct and Spirit Control and the big world ending arcs all over, it'd just feel tacked on. The series is probably better off just forgetting Earth all together if it's going to keep moving forward. Human fights/warriors have been so thoroughly discredited they can't even fulfill their role as fodder anymore. Too many better alternatives exist.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Yep. Never too late to give Piccolo something interesting. There's the red-eyed transformation for Namekusejins established by Dragon Ball Online. Since absolutely no information was provided, it could easily be his god form.

I don't know if I would want Earthlings with such transformation. Just give them the Kaio-ken technique and/or the Ultimate transformation.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:48 pm Yep. Never too late to give Piccolo something interesting. There's the red-eyed transformation for Namekusejins established by Dragon Ball Online. Since absolutely no information was provided, it could easily be his god form.

I don't know if I would want Earthlings with such transformation. Just give them the Kaio-ken technique and/or the Ultimate transformation.
I would love to see that red-eyed transformation in Super. I like how simple it looks. They really should use it for Piccolo.

Earthlings can stay sidelined, it’s a bit late for them to get back on top unless they somehow master Ultra Instinct or get something similar to what Kame Sennin has in the manga (why not?).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:42 pm

I would love it too. But the design itself is too simple, even by my standards. Besides the eyes, I would make the skin shine a little bit, as if someone turned the light on from inside the body (what a weird explanation, but hopefully it makes sense). Because during the fight, we wouldn't know if Piccolo was (still) using the red-eyed form considering the only change would be the eyes and the characters never keep the aura up until the end of it.

Or I would make something similar to Monkey D. Luffy's Second Gear, adding a smoke effect would probably turn out to be interesting.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:44 pm

Please do so. Why should only Saiyans get the god forms?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:18 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:44 pm Please do so. Why should only Saiyans get the god forms?
Because it was at least somewhat different when that happened.

This would just be another excuse for Toei to churn out unoriginal ideas. Let's make Piccolo a Super Namek God and have him turn dark green. Let's make a Super Frieza God and have him turn platinum. Let's have a Super Hit God and have turn him red.

No, it would only give them the excuse to be lazy and pull random transformations and power ups out the ass.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:44 am

I dunno if special forms are needed but some sort of equalizer would be nice. I'd rather see Humans take down stronger foes with their special techniques and wits. People griped about the Super episode where Kuririn got one up on Gohan, but I thought it was great.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:57 am

Sure. Spiritual control should let any old character improve as they want. This can manifest in a transformation.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:35 am

Giving the humans or namekians a God form is kind of lazy.

They can bridge the gap with techniques. Hit is weaker than Goku, but has that little time skip. Vegeta is weaker than Autonomous Ultra Instinct, but has Spirit Control. Goten and Trunks are weaker than Buu, but have fusion. They could come up with something entirely new.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Increasing the power level of everyone by introducing more transformations that basically just amount to "they're stronger now" is not the solution to any of Dragon Ball's problems.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:25 pm Increasing the power level of everyone by introducing more transformations that basically just amount to "they're stronger now" is not the solution to any of Dragon Ball's problems.
Dragon Ball's biggest problem is establishing credible threats. Right now only Saiyans (and only two Saiyans specifically) can realistically attain new levels of power. I don't like the idea of transformation power ups but the series needs something to level the playing field. With Gods of Destruction and Angels being the only real challenges to the leads we've hit the upper limit of power escalation.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:48 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:25 pm Increasing the power level of everyone by introducing more transformations that basically just amount to "they're stronger now" is not the solution to any of Dragon Ball's problems.
Dragon Ball's biggest problem is establishing credible threats. Right now only Saiyans (and only two Saiyans specifically) can realistically attain new levels of power. I don't like the idea of transformation power ups but the series needs something to level the playing field. With Gods of Destruction and Angels being the only real challenges to the leads we've hit the upper limit of power escalation.
I disagree.

Credible threats so far:
1. Super-strong people from the 11 other universes they introduced.
2. Vengeful gods.
3. Freeza
4. Broly
5. A wizard who eats power

The problem isn't credible threats, the problem is the power level of these credible threats is fucking ridiculous, and the writing doesn't really make any effort to make that interesting beyond "look how stronk this boy is"

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:10 pm I would love to see that red-eyed transformation in Super. I like how simple it looks. They really should use it for Piccolo.

Earthlings can stay sidelined, it’s a bit late for them to get back on top unless they somehow master Ultra Instinct or get something similar to what Kame Sennin has in the manga (why not?).
I think this sums up my opinion perfectly. Give Piccolo the red-eyed form as a god form, and let the human characters remain as they are since it's a bit too late now. But I'll add that as far as the red-eyed form goes, it doesn't have to be "Super Namekian God", it can be a character-specific form born from the unique position Piccolo is in since Kami is part of him. I think it'd be more interesting that way.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Sure, why not? I'd prefer transformations to bullshit power scaling. There's no way Master Roshi is stronger than Raditz on his own, but if they were to throw him some sort of transformation before the RoF/ToP arcs, his inclusion would make much more sense.

The Nameks might have some ancient techniques we don't know about. Tien's people might too.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 pm I disagree.

Credible threats so far:
1. Super-strong people from the 11 other universes they introduced.
2. Vengeful gods.
3. Freeza
4. Broly
5. A wizard who eats power

The problem isn't credible threats, the problem is the power level of these credible threats is fucking ridiculous, and the writing doesn't really make any effort to make that interesting beyond "look how stronk this boy is"
Ah ok, I don't think we actually disagree. The dependance on power first, everything else second does make things feel very bland and samey the longer the series goes on. General Blue may have been a gay pedophile Nazi but at least he had personality!
Alruneia wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 pm
emperior wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:10 pm I would love to see that red-eyed transformation in Super. I like how simple it looks. They really should use it for Piccolo.

I think this sums up my opinion perfectly. Give Piccolo the red-eyed form as a god form, and let the human characters remain as they are since it's a bit too late now. But I'll add that as far as the red-eyed form goes, it doesn't have to be "Super Namekian God", it can be a character-specific form born from the unique position Piccolo is in since Kami is part of him. I think it'd be more interesting that way.
Piccolo is every bit the waste of skin the humans are. If they're irrelevent he should be irrelevant too.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:35 pm Like Super Namekian God or Super Human God, or like how Freeza's Golden form is basically his race's God mode?
I mean, wouldn't Toppo already qualify? In fact, any mortal can become a God of Destruction.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:13 pm Ah ok, I don't think we actually disagree. The dependance on power first, everything else second does make things feel very bland and samey the longer the series goes on. General Blue may have been a gay pedophile Nazi but at least he had personality!
Indeed! Absolutely!

Even someone like Freeza isn't exactly a deep character, but he had a unique, fun personality; every scene that Freeza's in is an entertaining scene, ditto for Tao Pai Pai and Piccolo Daimao. And then you have characters like Tenshinhan, Piccolo Jr., and Vegeta, who are fully-fleshed-out, three-dimensional characters...

I honestly think the Broly movie did this right, but it's the only modern entry in Dragon Ball since Battle Of Gods to do so.
And interestingly, the Broly movie solved the "everything is so fucking ridiculously strong" problem by simply shrinking its cast down to just those immediately relevant to the story at any given moment, which solves Super's consistent problem of a massively overstuffed cast, and it allows all the characters a lot of room to really breathe.
Beerus was only in the movie for a couple of minutes for a gag or two, Gohan wasn't in it at all, Goten and Trunks only had a minute or two of screentime, Piccolo was in it briefly for Goku to home in on when he and Vegeta needed to get somewhere safe to try fusing...
But, all this aside, I think the most important thing that the Broly movie did right is that it didn't end with "And goku and/or gogeta is the strongest boy around so he wins by punching very very hard". The Broly movie, much like BOG, ended with a few characters making a hard choice. Much more narratively satisfying than something like the Black or Tournament Of Power ending.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:52 pm

I would've liked for them to be given to the other races to begin with. I know this is the "Saiyan Show", but giving Piccolo or Tenshinhan or something some kind of edge that would make them competitive would've been nice. Especially Piccolo who still fights despite always getting his ass kicked. :cry:
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:37 pm

That and Old Kai should have already unleashed other peoples potential. I think Gohan should have acquired God Ki by now, and Piccolo should have acquired it too and had his Potential Unleashed by Old Kai. Piccolo and Gohan deserve more than this