Gotenks has the laziest design out of all of the characters in the franchise

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Gotenks has the laziest design out of all of the characters in the franchise

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:33 pm

When it comes to main characters of course. And this is just my opinion so please don't get mad.

I'm sorry but I really don't like how this character looks. He just looks like a miniature Vegeta. Same hairstyle, same widow's peak, almost the same expressions. Whenever I try to image how a SSJ3 Vegeta would look like, SSJ3 Gotenks' face immediately comes to my mind. I know Toriyama's style suffers from "same face" syndrome sometimes, but did he really even have give Gotenks the same hairstyle that Vegeta already has? Wasn't the face already enough? He barely even looks like Goten at all, he looks more like a Vegeta and Trunks fusion.

In fact, I don't like Gotenks in general. He was annoying. Glad he doesn't appear much anymore.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Gotenks has the laziest design out of all of the characters in the franchise

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Gotenks' hair is amazing. That lilac goes pretty well with black. Then again, I'm biased towards base forms of all fusions so... The Metamoran clothes seems to be pretty "meh" overall, so no wonder the fused character wouldn't be cool either. The only problem here is that we should've seen a teenager Gotenks by now. Well, thanks to Heroes, we got an adult Gotenks at least.

Also, you don't need to try to imagine Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta when we have official stuff depicting like that.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Gotenks has the laziest design out of all of the characters in the franchise

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:08 pm

I don't care much for his design either. His hairstyle just looks like a jumbled assemblage of his fusee components' respective colours moulded in the prototypical upturned spiky manner that's so generically available in this series. A true merging of the two should have combined both the colours and styles into some type of hybrid halfway composition instead of making it look uncomfortably conjoined.

The face ins't all too original either, in my opinion. They could have gone for more than just standard power-drunk euphoria and arrogance. Trunks have harboured some traits like that but Goten was much more casual about the whole thing.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:16 pm

I think its the fact that Gotenks is a Trunks-dominant fusion, the incorporation of mostly Trunks' genetics & mentality with only Goten's dark, spiky hair, that makes him look like Vegeta.
Gotenks isn't the most-original design that Toriyama ever came up with but I'd say he looks a little better than some other characters in the franchise who aren't very original themselves. Pui Pui appears to just be a smaller, tailless, color-changed version of Freeza's 3rd form: I don't even know if Pui Pui was as strong as Freeza's 3rd form and that just makes the justification of his design even worse.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:14 pm

Gotenks is a fusion, that's pretty much a composite of other original character designs/traits.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.