Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Legacy Re-cut (BD-Hi10 4:3 1080p)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Legacy Re-cut (BD-Hi10 4:3 1080p)

Post by Masquerade » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:06 pm

Episode 27 - Journey To Namek up:

There's a scene towards the end where I inserted some Bach. This is one of the rare cases I'll ever use music outside of the DB library.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:05 pm

I'm actually curious how this project turns out, it sounds very cool despite the fact that I haven't actually gotten to watching it yet. By the way, since you decided to go with the 30th anniversary Blu-Rays I'm curious how you're gonna get the footage for them. Whenever I try to get footage of them online (don't ask how) the MKV files never properly turn to MP4 files. The video is always missing leaving only the audio.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:30 pm

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:05 pm I'm actually curious how this project turns out, it sounds very cool despite the fact that I haven't actually gotten to watching it yet. By the way, since you decided to go with the 30th anniversary Blu-Rays I'm curious how you're gonna get the footage for them. Whenever I try to get footage of them online (don't ask how) the MKV files never properly turn to MP4 files. The video is always missing leaving only the audio.
Been using the raw BDMV .ts streams for them. Same for Kai. Only way to ensure the final export after editing retains disc-level quality (which is why the file size for each episode is around 6gb).

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 pm

Masquerade wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:30 pm Been using the raw BDMV .ts streams for them. Same for Kai. Only way to ensure the final export after editing retains disc-level quality (which is why the file size for each episode is around 6gb).
I might have to try out that format sometime. It might be helpful since I'm thinking about making a Kai version of The Other World Tournament Arc. By the way, if you ever need help with extracting certain lines or SFXs from Super/Kai then I'd be happy to help.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 pm By the way, if you ever need help with extracting certain lines or SFXs from Super/Kai then I'd be happy to help.
The great thing about this is that the dialogue and 80% of the SFX are already confined and separated from everything else in the center channel for both Kai and DBZ's English 5.1 mixes (Well... on the DBox and Orange Brick for the latter, as for whatever reason the 2013 releases has a new mix where the music bleeds into the center channel).

For any effects that need "beefing up," I just use Diccolo_420's isolated SFX from Kai, then add some pre-delay reverb on top of that to make the mix sound less modern / "clean".

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Episode 28 - Friends Or Foes? up:

This was hard to cut (took 3 episodes worth of filler and grabbed anything salvageable to smash into one). Safe to say none of that Fake Namek nonsense made it (which we can all agree is the worst filler arc in the entire franchise, right?).

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Episode 29 - Brood Of Evil up:

This one was also a bitch to do since I was digging through footage of like 5 separate episodes. Especially for the recap, I inserted some extra 'Vegeta in the tank' scenes I didn't include in the previous episode in order to meet my ideal runtime window (I was running like two minutes short otherwise so I had to pad the recap out).

Otherwise, this was an interesting experiment in replacing 30th footage with Kai's whenever possible (the flat image of the DVNR'd 30th set makes my eyes hurt after a while) and then switching back and forth and adjusting contrast and color accordingly to (at least attempt) a seamless transition.

Hobby Bill
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hobby Bill » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:52 am

Great job at unifying the look of the episode. Honestly, the scope of this project is incredible and you deserve huge props :clap: . Few questions though.

Why did you settle for Freeza's old VA for his first transformation? Was it due to the filler you wanted to include? When it comes to music placement, are you aiming to be faithful to the original broadcast? Just curious.

Also, this may be a tall order, but would it be possible to upload musicless tracks? If you haven't done so already, could it be something you do moving forward?

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Hobby Bill wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:52 am Great job at unifying the look of the episode. Honestly, the scope of this project is incredible and you deserve huge props :clap: . Few questions though.

Why did you settle for Freeza's old VA for his first transformation? Was it due to the filler you wanted to include? When it comes to music placement, are you aiming to be faithful to the original broadcast? Just curious.

Also, this may be a tall order, but would it be possible to upload musicless tracks? If you haven't done so already, could it be something you do moving forward?
Yeah, so I changed that policy a little. I've decided to have Linda just be 1st form Frieza and then all transformations be Chris (I'm also lowering Linda's pitch by 6% so her Frieza doesn't sound as screechy). As for music placement, aside from well needed moments of silence here and there I will be trying to be as faithful as possible with the original Faulconer arrangements as seen on Toonami.

Unfortunately all the audio tracks for the episodes I've finished had their working files purged once the stereo mix is complete, but I could upload music-less tracks for the rest (that's actually a pretty good idea if anyone wants to do a Kikuchi version). The only thing with that is they may not be 100% polished as I usually add extra SFX while mixing the music at the same time.

Hobby Bill
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hobby Bill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 am

Masquerade wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:21 pm Yeah, so I changed that policy a little. I've decided to have Linda just be 1st form Frieza and then all transformations be Chris (I'm also lowering Linda's pitch by 6% so her Frieza doesn't sound as screechy).
I see. Don't you think this may be inconsistent with Super's Golden Freeza arc? First form Frieza is present and is voiced by Chris. Earlier in this thread, you mentioned how you wanted to replace Bulma later on and keep 18 the same throughout in order to be consistent with Super. I thought that was extended to Freeza too. Was it mostly an aesthetic choice?

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Hobby Bill wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 am
Masquerade wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:21 pm Yeah, so I changed that policy a little. I've decided to have Linda just be 1st form Frieza and then all transformations be Chris (I'm also lowering Linda's pitch by 6% so her Frieza doesn't sound as screechy).
I see. Don't you think this may be inconsistent with Super's Golden Freeza arc? First form Frieza is present and is voiced by Chris. Earlier in this thread, you mentioned how you wanted to replace Bulma later on and keep 18 the same throughout in order to be consistent with Super. I thought that was extended to Freeza too. Was it mostly an aesthetic choice?
I'm gonna backtrack on that switching VO's thing for Bulma. Transformations aside, I'm keeping all the voices for Z consistent throughout the series, which is an aesthetic decision just so the core main cast is the one people grew up (aside from drastic dialogue changes for the better, which is why once Frieza transforms I'm switching to Chris because a lot of the old script for 4th form Frieza is unsalvagable).

If I do go ahead and do Super (which I'm not even thinking about right now as my Z edit won't be complete for another two years at minimum), any VO changes there would just be chalked up to it's real reason, which is "LOL @ Funimation firing the old person."

Same thing goes with origin stories and so forth when it comes to the two series. I'm not cutting Goku's origin or the Vegeta destruction story just because a movie came out last year telling people "Nah bitch, everything you were told for the past 30 years is wrong ROFL fuk u."

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 pm

Masquerade wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm
I'm gonna backtrack on that switching VO's thing for Bulma. Transformations aside, I'm keeping all the voices for Z consistent throughout the series, which is an aesthetic decision just so the core main cast is the one people grew up (aside from drastic dialogue changes for the better, which is why once Frieza transforms I'm switching to Chris because a lot of the old script for 4th form Frieza is unsalvagable).

If I do go ahead and do Super (which I'm not even thinking about right now as my Z edit won't be complete for another two years at minimum), any VO changes there would just be chalked up to it's real reason, which is "LOL @ Funimation firing the old person."

Same thing goes with origin stories and so forth when it comes to the two series. I'm not cutting Goku's origin or the Vegeta destruction story just because a movie came out last year telling people "Nah bitch, everything you were told for the past 30 years is wrong ROFL fuk u."
I must admit I'm curious how you'll handle McCoy. I tried to add her to the Kai dub ages ago and I immediately hit a road block as soon as i got to the Vegeta/18 fight, because the scripts are SO irreconcilably different between the two dubs and Sabat's Vegeta is completely different between the two dubs so you can't even get away with just using Z dub. And I'm sure there are plenty of instances like this.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:51 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 pm
Masquerade wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm

I must admit I'm curious how you'll handle McCoy. I tried to add her to the Kai dub ages ago and I immediately hit a road block as soon as i got to the Vegeta/18 fight, because the scripts are SO irreconcilably different between the two dubs and Sabat's Vegeta is completely different between the two dubs so you can't even get away with just using Z dub. And I'm sure there are plenty of instances like this.
Really? Oof.

I mean what could happen is if I do find such an incompatability is maybe downpitching Sabat's original performance on choice lines for that fight if need be, but we'll see.

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:50 am

Episode 30 - The Ruthless Frieza up:

Further honed my skills in matching footage (just realized there's an "equalize" effect tool in Premiere which got me pretty excited). Also an appearance of an insert song that was playing out of Roshi's boombox on the Japanese version, but was deleted in the English dub and replaced by the sound of a newscaster... I found a pretty cool way of circumventing that newscaster problem.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 am

Masquerade wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:50 am Episode 30 - The Ruthless Frieza up:

Further honed my skills in matching footage (just realized there's an "equalize" effect tool in Premiere which got me pretty excited). Also an appearance of an insert song that was playing out of Roshi's boombox on the Japanese version, but was deleted in the English dub and replaced by the sound of a newscaster... I found a pretty cool way of circumventing that newscaster problem.
Will you be posting a musicless version of this out of curiosity? I recall you saying you may start doing that going forward, and I'd be interested in making a Kikuchi version of this.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:12 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 am
Masquerade wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:50 am Episode 30 - The Ruthless Frieza up:

Will you be posting a musicless version of this out of curiosity? I recall you saying you may start doing that going forward, and I'd be interested in making a Kikuchi version of this.
Yeah, but starting with this episode since all the Audacity project files for the previous ones are gone (also as I said earlier don't expect the SFX to be 100% either in that case).

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Where can i download and see this can somebody send me a PM? Thank you! :D

jrose1234

Post by jrose1234 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Yeah, Where can i download and see these Episodes?

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Episode 31 - Namek's Defense up:

Splicing all of Frieza's and Gohan's lines in here was A LOT easier than I thought it'd be. The hardest part was finding a right endpoint to the episode, which I think works really well.

dbzgasm

Post by dbzgasm » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:30 pm

i love these. watchthem as soon as the come out. any word on the next ep?