"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am

One reason why I think they need to get things forward on Super 2.0 is the seiyuus. As we all know, Masako Nozawa has been voicing Goku for over 3 decades and is in her 80s. Now yes, I know, right now, she's in perfectly good shape, but it's possible that sooner rather than later, she's gonna reach a point where she won't be able to maintain her time voicing Goku anymore, which would result in her either retiring or the even worse scenario of her... I think you should know what. Same thing with Ryo Horikawa, Mayumi Tanaka, and many others. These guys aren't getting any younger. And Toei wouldn't wanna risk having another Joji Yanami situation or even another Hiromi Tsuru tragedy, now would they? So Toei, get your act together!
Caulifla best girl! :)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:29 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 amThese guys aren't getting any younger. And Toei wouldn't wanna risk having another Joji Yanami situation or even another Hiromi Tsuru tragedy, now would they? So Toei, get your act together!
I don't know about every cast member, but I'm pretty sure Toei and even Nozawa already know who Goku's replacement is in the event something unexpected happens.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am I think you should know what. Same thing with Ryo Horikawa, Mayumi Tanaka, and many others. These guys aren't getting any younger. And Toei wouldn't wanna risk having another Joji Yanami situation or even another Hiromi Tsuru tragedy, now would they? So Toei, get your act together!

If we would get a new anime series that runs a few years, I honestly think it would be more reasonable if Nozawa gets replaced from the start and gets a proper goodbye. Her having to retire because of health issues or worse a Hiromi Tsuru-like-situation in the middle of the series, wouldn't be a nice way for it to end and leave a bitter mark on Super 2.0. It would be very sad for her, for her successor and for Dragon Ball in general.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm

I can't imagine that Nozawa doesn't have a replacement voice actress ready in case things suddenly go south. She is over 80 years old, after all.
A theory I've tossed around in my mind is that Toei might in a way be waiting for Nozawa to retire or worse before making more Super. I know that sounds grim, but I just mean that they could want to avoid losing their main VA in the middle of production, so they'd wait until it's already happened. I don't currently believe that this theory is accurate, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway since we're on the topic.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Alruneia wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm I can't imagine that Nozawa doesn't have a replacement voice actress ready in case things suddenly go south. She is over 80 years old, after all.
A theory I've tossed around in my mind is that Toei might in a way be waiting for Nozawa to retire or worse before making more Super. I know that sounds grim, but I just mean that they could want to avoid losing their main VA in the middle of production, so they'd wait until it's already happened. I don't currently believe that this theory is accurate, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway since we're on the topic.
There's a chance she could live for another 20 years depending on her lifestyle so if that's what they're doing (I highly doubt it), they're going to be waiting for a long time.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:19 pm
Alruneia wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm I can't imagine that Nozawa doesn't have a replacement voice actress ready in case things suddenly go south. She is over 80 years old, after all.
There's a chance she could live for another 20 years depending on her lifestyle so if that's what they're doing (I highly doubt it), they're going to be waiting for a long time.
Live and be able to perform professionally are two different things.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm

Perhaps it's ill will to constantly discuss some actor's death in this context.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm Perhaps it's ill will to constantly discuss some actor's death in this context.
Nah. It's a tad disrespectful, but it shouldn't be tip toed around. It's a legitimate question and someone is going to wonder about it eventually.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:32 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm Perhaps it's ill will to constantly discuss some actor's death in this context.
Nah. It's a tad disrespectful, but it shouldn't be tip toed around. It's a legitimate question and someone is going to wonder about it eventually.
Why is a cartoon more important than not talking about a stranger's death?
She/Her
bisexual milf

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:32 pm
It's not a matter of it being "more important" or not, it's simply a relevant part of this discussion.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 am

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:32 pm Nah. It's a tad disrespectful, but it shouldn't be tip toed around. It's a legitimate question and someone is going to wonder about it eventually.
It's not a matter of it being "more important" or not, it's simply a relevant part of this discussion.
Ghoulishly talking about somebody's death is relevant to the discussion of what? Nobody of importance to the franchise brought up Nozawa's future death, so how about we all stop taking bets on somebody's death over a stupid commercial product?

Gosh people, does nobody else stop to think "You know, perhaps I should ask myself if it is really appropriate to talk about a currently-living and apparently perfectly healthy person's death as if it were impending?" Nobody here is in charge of making these cartoons, none of us need to be having discussions as if our jobs are to keep a stupid commercial vehicle moving uninterrupted.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:27 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 am
BagetaSama wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 am

Ghoulishly talking about somebody's death is relevant to the discussion of what? Nobody of importance to the franchise brought up Nozawa's future death, so how about we all stop taking bets on somebody's death over a stupid commercial product?

Gosh people, does nobody else stop to think "You know, perhaps I should ask myself if it is really appropriate to talk about a currently-living and apparently perfectly healthy person's death as if it were impending?" Nobody here is in charge of making these cartoons, none of us need to be having discussions as if our jobs are to keep a stupid commercial vehicle moving uninterrupted.

Both Toriyama and Nozama have iconic status, but they are both getting older and we can't expect those people to stay invested forever. They have a right to some form of 'pension' as well. And yes, if people get older, chances become higher the inevitable might happen. So i think it's normal, legitim for us fans, without being disrespectful, to mention and dicuss these facts in a DBS-continuation thread. I honestly don't see the harm of it.

If we get another longstanding anime-run i think the stakeholders as such will discuss their roles in the future in advance.
Things may change. They may stay somehow involved but not in the same way: fe Toriyama doing the coaching of whoever the new lead writer might become, this while he still might write the occasional movie on his own. Or he might simply get replaced by the Dragon Ball Room for the creative side of things (which is already partially the case).
It would be very respectful if they both get a proper goodby someday. Concerning Nozawa ... For instance after she has done a last movie, or when a possible new anime crosses EOZ, would be a fine moment. Thereafter she might still stay somehow involved behind the screen coaching their successor.

What i think would be disrespectful: if we expect from these people to stay invested forever and deny their right of having a well deserved rest / pension just to furfil our own needs, just because we demand it from them. Dragon Ball is a fictional world and although they are very iconic and not easily replaced, i don't see why it isn't perfectly possible to make new DB with other writers or main VA's if they are the right talented people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:28 pm

I don't expect anyone to stay forever. I expect not to talk about people's death like a commodity because of a stupid cartoon we like.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:57 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:28 pmI don't expect anyone to stay forever. I expect not to talk about people's death like a commodity because of a stupid cartoon we like.
If the conversation is something you're not comfortable with then you don't have to take part in it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:41 pm

So getting a movie or an animated series late on this year is still on theory territory, right?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Noah wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:41 pm So getting a movie or an animated series late on this year is still on theory territory, right?
No, there is no indication of any project currently being in production and Toei Animation has a lot if projects currently announced.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:52 pm

The movie in the works, is a fact tho. Just nothing on DBS TV series.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm

Miracles wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:52 pm The movie in the works, is a fact tho. Just nothing on DBS TV series.
We haven't really gotten any info on said movie, either. It was at an early planning stage last time we (or at least I) heard about it, and that was over half a year ago. The movie could be anything from halfway done to still in planning to cancelled. (It's probably not cancelled.) And I think most people are tired of trying to predict this stuff by now, so there's not much to say there.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:32 pm

Miracles wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:52 pm The movie in the works, is a fact tho. Just nothing on DBS TV series.
No movie is in production for this year, though. We would have a vague idea of when it is coming out if it were coming out this year.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:32 pm
No movie is in production for this year, though. We would have a vague idea of when it is coming out if it were coming out this year.
Alruneia wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm
We haven't really gotten any info on said movie, either. It was at an early planning stage last time we (or at least I) heard about it, and that was over half a year ago. The movie could be anything from halfway done to still in planning to cancelled. (It's probably not cancelled.) And I think most people are tired of trying to predict this stuff by now, so there's not much to say there.
I was only stating that a movie coming is factual. Not when or at what stage it's production is at.