"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:48 pm

The manga may end after this arc but Super won’t for sure. Not with Freeza alive.
If the intention was of ending Super then Toriyama would have never stated in the Broly’s anime comic that he would like to write more of Lemo, Cheelai and Broly. And he would have killed off Freeza in the movie. And they wouldn’t have mentioned that a new movie is in the works.

But, for sure, Toriyama could wrap Super up with a last movie. He would just have to write some finale for Freeza’s character and maybe have Goku/Vegeta get a rematch with Beerus.
So he may set all this mess up by bringing up, in-universe, that Beerus ordered Planet Vegeta’s destruction - so that it could potentially spark a fight between the Saiyans, Freeza and Beerus. Maybe Vegeta and Broly could be the ones who would want revenge for their race and Goku would just join for the fun of it.

But all of this sounds a bit far-fetched and, honestly, I really don’t think they will wrap up all of Super anytime soon. There are too many opportunities they set up so far and it would be immensely stupid and underwhelming to not use them.
Surely Super could end with Goku getting a rematch with Beerus but what about Sadala, the 4 universes, Freeza using Broly, Jiren (and the demons who killed his parents mentioned in the manga), the Angels and their laws etcetera?

Either way what happens after this arc is over will be very telling of Super’s future. If the manga goes on, then it will be very reasonable to expect that the anime eventually comes back and adapts it. But if they end the manga too, then it will be clear Super will only continue through some movies written by Toriyama.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:05 pm
Miracles wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:01 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:53 pm I’ve lost interest in this arc by now, but is there any idea on when exactly it’ll end?
No idea when it will end. Why'd you lose interest?
It just feels like it’s been going on for too long, and I don’t find the story all that engaging. I guess it doesn’t help that I’m not as invested in Dragon Ball in general at the moment as I was back when the anime was still airing. I don’t know if the ToP burned me out, but at this point, I think I’d rather they just go with more movies at this point.
I like the movie idea. Toriyama writes those, so it would be better. Maybe it's the long monthly wait taking it's toll? It wasn't so bad when the TV series was on weekly and that would fill in the time between chapters.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 pm

Here's my boldest prediction:

"Super" ends with a Toriyama movie that takes place after the Moro arc. Maybe there are a couple more cycles of "Toriyama movie > Toyotaro arc > Toriyama movie", but I said boldest, dammit!

Toyotaro continues drawing DB manga with "Dragon Ball After": Oob's story.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:31 am

emperior wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:48 pmToriyama could wrap Super up with a last movie.
I also think Super will end on a movie, just not now. I think we'll get at least 3 more arcs and 2 movies before that potential final film.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:57 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:31 am
emperior wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:48 pmToriyama could wrap Super up with a last movie.
I also think Super will end on a movie, just not now. I think we'll get at least 3 more arcs and 2 movies before that potential final film.
I think it will end with a movie and Toyotaro will do a sequel on his own. I don’t know if it will be about Goku or a new generation. Toyotaro is a copy artist, a good one of Toriyama, and Shueisha probably doesn’t want to let him go. Having said that, he’ll keep drawing the series as long as he wants would be my guess.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Yeah there’s no way they will let Toyotaro go even after Super ends. He will most likely get to draw a long running sequel or spin-off.

And I too think Toriyama will end Super with a final movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Yeah, I like Super ending with a movie. How fitting to have it finalize with the creator's own pen.

However, I don't think Super is concluding anytime soon.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:12 pm

I like that the series is finally having a longer arc, it's more in the lines of the original manga finally. Stopped it from being the Goku and Vegeta series too.

From how it started and it feeling rushed and only made for the sake of promoting the anime, it's now come into its own and feel it's standing on its own two legs somewhat.

What let's it down is that the whole thing is been there done that. Another villain from millions of years ago pops up in the present without ever being mentioned. Another battle on Namek. Another wish to restore the villains youth. Another invasion on Earth with minions. More waiting for Goku and Vegeta to save the day.

Namek being destroyed again, a Saiyan being trained on Yadrat following that, training in a Hyperbolic Time Chamber looking room, a young Namekian as a lone survivor etc.

So nothing about it's new, nothing introduced has been interested or really expanded the lore in any significant way, another forgettable villain. The only potential left to hope for is what's happening with Vegeta and this Spirit Control.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Are we getting the new chapter drafts this month too?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:28 pm Are we getting the new chapter drafts this month too?
We should i guess.. I believe it was a new monthly thing from now on.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:17 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:48 pm The manga may end after this arc but Super won’t for sure. Not with Freeza alive...
You put an interesting thought here... I have no clue how they will wrap this up to fit with EoZ. Freeza would probably be killed again, but I think I could buy him being alive for reasons, Beerus should go back to sleep again after a rematch with Goku/Vegeta... And I believe they should build more interest from Goku regarding Oob, because back in 1995 it made sense for him to be excited with a guy strong as Kid Boo, now in 2020 having met several characters that could mop the floor with the Majin it feels kinda weird.
jplaya2023 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:43 am Why can't Goten and Trunks get some serious character development and start to grow up and start defending the Earth? Let them go in the RoSaT for 4 days learn SSJ2 and SSJ3 and start to understand God Ki and how to use it as Gotenks
You're expecting too much just to be disappointed, mate. Super is clear as crystal water that they don't have interest in Goten and Trunks nor giving them new designs.
ssj3kakarot wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:21 pm What technique do you think Vegeta learned on Yardrat? His spirit control seems to have given him a boost in power, which is always nice, but power alone vs Moro won’t cut it.
I hope is anything but Instant Transmission as I said a couple of times, this technique should remain as Goku only.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 pm

There are drafts out for this month's chapter on dragonball.news now.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:32 am

Alruneia wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 pm There are drafts out for this month's chapter on dragonball.news now.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 am

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 am
Yeah ... totally agree.

xm0c

Post by xm0c » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Gt91 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 am
Yeah ... totally agree.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:47 pm

So Goku shows up to save the day by knocking out some fodder, who'd been giving his allies trouble, with one shot...like with Recoome.

And this is why the thread about the series being creatively bankrupt was made.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 am

The whole Goku teleporting to krillin really bothers me ( more than it should)

Goku needs an energy signal strong enough to lock on to. Moro is present, Gohan and piccolo are there as well. All have power levels that Goku is familiar with. All those power levels logically are higher than krillins output. Even if Moro is suppressed, and Gohan and Piccolo are battle fatigued there PL’s are more than enough for Goku to have locked on.

I’m not sure why it bothers me, there are plenty of things that don’t make sense in Super but this one is the most recent gripe I have.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:22 am

ssj3kakarot wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 am The whole Goku teleporting to krillin really bothers me ( more than it should) Goku needs an energy signal strong enough to lock on to. Moro is present, Gohan and piccolo are there as well.
Gohan and Piccolo weren't raising their power like Krillin was (If I remember correctly).