Dragon Ball Evolution in the Megaverse.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball Evolution in the Megaverse.

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Alright, so considering that the general people now understand just a bit more about "alternate timeline/characters/dimension" and it is not a total strange thing to think about thanks to the Marvel movies/modern pop culture popularizing this concept, as well as Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Dragon Ball Heroes currently dealing with this, how would you feel if Dragon Ball Evolution were to be confirmed as an actual event (just like the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies) to have been taken place in another dimension, thus making it possible for the characters from the movie to meet their animated counterparts?

Also, how would you like them to be portrayed? Just like the original animated characters or retaining their movie appearance? I know this question may sound absurd, but bear with me. Or should I ask, watch Ben 10. I mean, in Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, there is an episode (more specifically in the episode "Ben 10,000 Returns". I definitely recommend to watch it if you like this concept) in which Ben meets his future self and explanations occur, it shows that Eon (the villain) has been attacking "Bens" throughout the Multiverse, one of them is a Ben from the live-action movie "Ben 10: Race Against Time" and this is how they were portrayed. They retained their original animated appearance instead of the movie version (not that the movie was trying to be different anyway, but that's exactly the point, Dragon Ball Evolution was). So for example and to be more clear, if you chose the latter question from this paragraph's first line, would you like to see an animated Goku with an upward spiked hair?

And finally, if your answer is "yes" to those questions above, how do you picture the encounter of Dragon Ball Evolution characters with the animated Dragon Ball characters to be? What do you think they would tell to each other? How would they react to each other? What do you want them to say to each other? What would you want them to do?

Fun fact: the only Dragon Ball Evolution game was made by Dimps, which is the one dealing with alternate stuff in the Dragon Ball franchise at this moment, so it wouldn't be out of place for them to make this scenario a reality.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Thunderbird
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Evolution in the Megaverse.

Post by Thunderbird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Nobody wants that travesty to ever be tied to Dragon Ball. It was so bad it made GT look good.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 pm

I kind of agree, but if something like that happens, it would be in Heroes or Xenoverse, so I say "whatever". I mean, DBE is bad but still would be interesting to see these guys interacting with other universes. Besides, it wouldn't affect the canon, so...

Anyway, I don't have high hopes about a possible encounter. Heroes have some good concepts but the execution is forgettable, to say the least. Xenoverse may handle things better, but I still have the feeling that the whole thing will be quick, as it probably happened in Ben 10.

And about the visuals, I really don't know.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:19 pm

The most I could see happening is some extremely small visual cameo.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:45 pm

I don't really know how well DB Evolution would mesh with the the majority of the series, DBE has quite a number of different story elements and it's feats of power are utterly pathetic even compared to DB. Akira Toriyama is actually a little hostile towards the American-ized version of his story and so, I presume he would only allow DBE in if it was parodied or killed off quickly, not unlike what Toho did to the Tristar Godzilla(aka Zilla) from Godzilla Final Wars.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:25 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:00 pmNobody wants that travesty to ever be tied to Dragon Ball. It was so bad it made GT look good.
I probably should've said that regardless whether it was good or not, it is not the point here. This is a matter that is totally about in-universe (which is why I intentionally created this thread in the "in-universe discussion" category).

Anyway, I would want. Pretty sure Dragon Ball Evolution characters meeting their animated counterparts would/could generate one hell of nice dialogues and gag moments.
SSJgogeto wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 pm I still have the feeling that the whole thing will be quick, as it probably happened in Ben 10.
I wouldn't mind just a reference to Dragon Ball Evolution, just like Paradox does in that episode and in some other occasions. Kaioshin of Time, for obvious reasons, could do that and explain the existence of Dragon Ball Evolution's dimension through something that happened with Tokitoki.
Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:19 pmThe most I could see happening is some extremely small visual cameo.
A visual reference/cameo, just like in that image I posted, would be great too. Though unlike that image, I'd love if the characters retain their movie appearance so that we could see how they would look like animated.
theherodjl wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:45 pmI don't really know how well DB Evolution would mesh with the the majority of the series, DBE has quite a number of different story elements and it's feats of power are utterly pathetic even compared to DB. Akira Toriyama is actually a little hostile towards the American-ized version of his story and so, I presume he would only allow DBE in if it was parodied or killed off quickly, not unlike what Toho did to the Tristar Godzilla(aka Zilla) from Godzilla Final Wars.
Well, bear in mind that this could happen early in the series too. Doesn't need to be in Dragon Ball Z or later installments. Even if the characters from the animated version are still stronger, they could use this as a plot point for something, maybe even to teach Dragon Ball Evolution characters. And the difference in story elements is exactly one of the major reasons why their meeting would be interesting.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:33 am

I told someone way back that I want the Evolution version of Goku in Xenoverse 2. Make him unable to fly, so he has to stay grounded, and give him really low stats, except for HP, so we could enjoy using him as a punching bag. It'd be like the time someone bought the rights to the 1998 American Godzilla design, just so they could have Japanese Godzilla beat the crap out of them.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:34 am

I would prefer they not acknowledge it at all.

Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Justin Chatwin, Emmy Rossum, or Chow Yun-fat in a role though. They're all great actors.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:34 am

No, and I don't want there to be a damn multiverse. It feels like the people in charge are capitulating to fans who want everything to be canon in some way.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 pm

The best way to introduce evolution into DB proper would be through some scarecrow like villain who makes Goku hallucinate it. When Goku is given the cure, he'll see Toriyama come in and snap it away like Thanos and tell Goku to forget this nightmare and return to the real world.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:34 am No, and I don't want there to be a damn multiverse. It feels like the people in charge are capitulating to fans who want everything to be canon in some way.
Except this has nothing to do with canonicity. Especially in Dragon Ball where it doesn't even have one established to begin with.

Canonicity is also an out-universe issue, so let us avoid that here in this thread.
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 pm The best way to introduce evolution into DB proper would be through some scarecrow like villain who makes Goku hallucinate it. When Goku is given the cure, he'll see Toriyama come in and snap it away like Thanos and tell Goku to forget this nightmare and return to the real world.
That'd be kinda boring, a mere illusion or something. We can't do much about it other than just watch it and that's it.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 pm

It does have a canon. I wish people would stop saying that like it's meaningful. Really, what the hell does it even mean that DB doesn't have a canon? Are the events in the Buu arc not in continuity with the Vegeta arc? If they are, then there's a canon. Canon doesn't need to be explicit.
Canonicity is also an out-universe issue, so let us avoid that here in this thread.
Implicilty, that's ultimately what this thread amounts to.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:37 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:33 am I told someone way back that I want the Evolution version of Goku in Xenoverse 2. Make him unable to fly, so he has to stay grounded, and give him really low stats, except for HP, so we could enjoy using him as a punching bag. It'd be like the time someone bought the rights to the 1998 American Godzilla design, just so they could have Japanese Godzilla beat the crap out of them.
It was also refererenced in 2001 GMK, when they talked about "giant Godzilla like monster, that invaded USA in 1998"

Movie got Street Fighter: The Movie treatment on PSP, as it got its own game, with was basically Budokai with characters from movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFFIbyg_Pvs
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015