Did The BOG & ROF Films *Need* To Be Remade As Arcs For DBS?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Did The BOG & ROF Films *Need* To Be Remade As Arcs For DBS?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:05 am

I think it was a good idea, just poorly executed. The film arcs we poorly storyboarded, directed, animated and colored with lousy sound direction, like the films themselves.
Peach wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:00 am No. In fact, they could have broken up the movies into a few episodes like Futurama did with its four movies. Why they didn't do that, I don't know.
There could have been issues considering how the films were partially produced by irregular members of the production committee: Fox, for example.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:28 am

Of course it did. It needed to be made in order to make changes that has the rest of the series in mind, instead of functioning as two stand-alone movies.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 am

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:28 amOf course it did. It needed to be made in order to make changes that has the rest of the series in mind, instead of functioning as two stand-alone movies.
No one's saying the movies should've been cut up and presented as is, what they should've done is what Boruto did with its movie adaption. They should've kept the movies as a base and added new scenes where appropriate that added to the actual story. Not only did we lose the movie quality of both stories, we were stuck with unnecessary padding instead of content that enhanced the stories.

Kiyoharu

Post by Kiyoharu » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:01 am

Resurrection of F Movie: Trash.
Resurrection of F Arc: Trash.

Was it necessary to remade the film to make an equally bad product? Of course Not.

At least the fight of Goku and Freeza in the movie looked good but in the arc it looked horrible.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:12 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 am
BagetaSama wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:28 amOf course it did. It needed to be made in order to make changes that has the rest of the series in mind, instead of functioning as two stand-alone movies.
No one's saying the movies should've been cut up and presented as is, what they should've done is what Boruto did with its movie adaption. They should've kept the movies as a base and added new scenes where appropriate that added to the actual story. Not only did we lose the movie quality of both stories, we were stuck with unnecessary padding instead of content that enhanced the stories.
As in they literally should have re-used the movie footage for the arc?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 am

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:12 amAs in they literally should have re-used the movie footage for the arc?
Yes, but with added things here and there to improve the story.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:23 am

Tai Lung wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:12 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 am The issue isn't deciding to include the 2 stories into Super's narrative, it's the decision to re-animate them despite far superior versions already existing. Why not just do what Boruto did when it retold its movie by cutting them into smaller parts with additional scenes here and there ?
Mad Swami wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 am I agree but the movies already existed and were done with care (BoG more so). I think the redoes put a bad taste in people's mouths
1.- in what it represents to script seems better to me ..
[/quote]

I think the BoG anime redo has good ideas, but the overall plot fits a movie far better than a tv arc.
I like the Vegeta stuff better in the anime however, I really think he was done well

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:28 am

For BoG not so much but there is few idea that are good.

As for RoF yes and speaking of that one

I just saw a video of Totally not Mark about the Power Level and suddenly I thanks to his video I saw what a final and perfect edition of "Fukkatsu no F" should have been.

"Fukkatsu no F" perfect edition here it is good read ya all.

So if we combine each iteration of "Fukkatsu no F" (Super, Manga and Movie) and rewrite them to work properly. We must have Muten Roshi to die and have a good part of the Z-Team to be Koed and finally Piccolo & Gohan should have given us a context on how Freeza became powerful before Goku appeared.

Once Goku appears there is a change of tone the combat resumes and Goku sees that indeed Freeza became more powerful. So Goku passes Super Saiyan heck even Super Saiyan 2 but no success (Goku has a in internal monologue that tells us that even the SSJ3 would be useless). So we see the Super Saiyan God making its comeback, which forces Freeza to become Golden Freeza then Goku realizes that Freeza is not a joke then Goku finally shows the Super Saiyan Blue which built in tension for this moment (making the transformation more iconique than it is).

The tension of the previous failures and the whole story brings us to the deliverance of this new Transformation which becomes iconic for once because there was all the previous "build up". But here, in their golden and blue form, The two struggle with their new power and seem to be exhausting each other until an underling of Freeza arrives to blast Goku in a cowardise move.

Which echoes what Whis said during their training with Goku the latter has become too confident of himself.

There the need of Vegeta to finish Freeza is obvious, he makes his show shows us that he has changed that he has become better and he show the Super Saiyan then Super Saiyan God to finally deliver us also the Super Saiyan Blue. He defeats Freeza (but in doing so, he and Freeza and with the earth are destroyed by a dick move from Freeza part), leaving few survivors with Whis & Beerus in his force bubble (Goku is saved in extremis) no Time Skip of Whis.

With the few remaining Warriors Z they have not enough for the next tournament which promises us with the help of Champa the Super Dragon Balls that the GoD has gathered. We also learn in the end of this arc that the Dragon Ball from Namek has been used by Kibitoshin to undo the potara fusion under the orders of the former elder Kaioshin.

So the next arc is an opportunity for our Z warrior to fight seriously because they will want these Super Dragon Balls to relive their loved one and planet Earth.

So here we have tension and challenges.

That's what this story should have been no more no better.

Here is my take on what the perfect RoF ARC should have been.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu