SSG or SSJ4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: SSG or SSJ4

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:33 am

emperior wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:33 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am
Kefla wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 am SSG is nothing but a silly repaint of an already existing form, it’s just a skinny base Goku...
Well that's factually incorrect. It is nothing alike. The hair is not only more refined, he has a protruding bang and pupils. Last time I checked Base Goku didn't have f**king pupils.

That is like me saying SS2 Goku looks the same as SS1 Goku... :roll:
I love SSG a lot but the more refined hair and protruding bangs are a part of how Toriyama draws base Goku’s hair on his more detailed illustrations (just look at Battle of Gods poster).

The only changes SSG brings in are the fully-outlined eyes and skinnier body. And that is enough. The beauty of the form is in its simplicity.
That is completely irrelevant. The actual character designs the thing that actually you know matters have that distinct difference between Base and SSG Goku. That is what matters not what Toriyama does or doesn't do in his illustrations.

You are just refuting for the sake of refuting. I could throw that right back at you and say Toriyama likes to draw skinny characters in general now so SSG being skinny might not have been intentional. But the facts are the objective differences to the Base and SSG Goku design is, protruding bang, no loose hair strands, pupils and skinny body.

Shintani didn't keep the SSGSS bang despite have figures on his desk with the bang but he went so far to include the SSG bang and not on the Base version so...

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:33 am
emperior wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:33 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am

Well that's factually incorrect. It is nothing alike. The hair is not only more refined, he has a protruding bang and pupils. Last time I checked Base Goku didn't have f**king pupils.

That is like me saying SS2 Goku looks the same as SS1 Goku... :roll:
I love SSG a lot but the more refined hair and protruding bangs are a part of how Toriyama draws base Goku’s hair on his more detailed illustrations (just look at Battle of Gods poster).

The only changes SSG brings in are the fully-outlined eyes and skinnier body. And that is enough. The beauty of the form is in its simplicity.
That is completely irrelevant. The actual character designs the thing that actually you know matters have that distinct difference between Base and SSG Goku. That is what matters not what Toriyama does or doesn't do in his illustrations.

You are just refuting for the sake of refuting. I could throw that right back at you and say Toriyama likes to draw skinny characters in general now so SSG being skinny might not have been intentional. But the facts are the objective differences to the Base and SSG Goku design is, protruding bang, no loose hair strands, pupils and skinny body.

Shintani didn't keep the SSGSS bang despite have figures on his desk with the bang but he went so far to include the SSG bang and not on the Base version so...
That’s because the base version of Goku’s hair in the new designs is now pitch-black, as it used to be in the anime before Yamamuro’s new designs came, and how it is in the manga.
That protruding bang is literally part of Goku’s design but it doesn’t show if his hair is full black.

Toriyama likes to draw skinny characters nowadays, yeah. But I remind you that in Battle of Gods it is acknowledged by the dialogue that Goku gets skinnier and looks younger in Super Saiyan God.

Shintani, unlike Yamamuro, realized that nowadays Toriyama draws Super Saiyan hair with that bang and that it’s not a feature exclusive of Blue.
And so he decided to keep the classic Super Saiyan look, and didn’t alter it for Blue.

While Toyotaro decided to keep this art-style change and added the bang to normal Super Saiyan too, in order to be closer to modern Toriyama:
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:54 pm

When BoG first came out, Super Saiyan God was the strongest thing to ever exist right next to Beerus, and it was a cool change for once. But then the power scaling was retconned the very next movie and saga with it turning out that Beerus lied and held back astronomically, and the introduction of SSGSS. SSG became weaker in scale compared to what it was before from the stories standpoint. Super Saiyan God WAS my favorite. Now after SS4 was brought back with Heroes manga and anime, it just makes more sense to me being a Saiyans full power and potential in one form. Super Saiyan 4 is definitely my favorite Saiyan form now.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Super Saiyan God looks more like alternative mode of base Goku, like some reset, after Super Saiyan 3, than an actual transformation.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:20 pm

Super Saiyan 4 has such a cool design and creative way to get the form.

God just looks like Kaioken and Blue just looks like an ugly teal recolor of regular Super Saiyan.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:35 pm

Definitely love the look of Super Saiyan 4 more than any form in Super. I don't hate Super either...I just happen to just like that form the best.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:18 am

QuakingStar wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:54 pm When BoG first came out, Super Saiyan God was the strongest thing to ever exist right next to Beerus
I don't think it was ever confirmed movie SSJG was stronger than SSJ4 or compared to anything from GT. The same goes for Beerus.
I remember some statement about it being the strongest form so far but i personally don't think anyone thought about SSJ4 at this point, even if SSJG was in fact stronger. Every next form is always advertised as "stronger than ever" just like every next main villain is always "strongest villain ever faced" and i believe they simply meant stronger than anything in DB/Z so far. GT not only takes place in future but also isn't considered to be part of the same continuity (even though official media never stated it and put both DBS and GT in one timeline).
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:24 pm

SS4 and SSGod are the coolest forms IMO. SSGSS is just SS but Blue or Pink so not that cool...

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:32 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:24 pm SS4 and SSGod are the coolest forms IMO. SSGSS is just SS but Blue or Pink so not that cool...
I 100% agree. SSJ4 is my all time favorite and SSG I personally find really cool looking. However although I think SSB is not that interesting, I actually kind of like rose. Maybe it's just because I like Goku Black's design but I actually think that form is ok

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:41 pm

I think they should have left it at SSGod, and later have something like Goku "Unleashed SSGods true full power" in the ToP instead of introducing the silver form.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:46 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:41 pm I think they should have left it at SSGod, and later have something like Goku "Unleashed SSGods true full power" in the ToP instead of introducing the silver form.
I agree. I wish Super was about perfecting the SSG form. I wish at first Goku SSG vs Beerus was like 30% of Beerus' power but then by the end SSG Goku is like 60% or something

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 am

I like both for different reasons. Super Saiyan 4 is my favorite appearance for a transformation, but Super Saiyan God is just classic Toriyama.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:33 pm

This is a tough one.

On the one hand Super Saiyan God is just a colour palette swap whereas Super Saiyan 4 is a completely original design.

On the other hand Super Saiyan 4 does look a bit idiotic and out of place whereas Super Saiyan God does not.

Other than appearance Super Saiyan God is more interesting to discuss so I'll say that.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:08 pm I think over thinking about it more I would still say SSJ4 is better but thanks for answering
I actually don't know if I agree with this anymore I think both are just really cool. SSJ4 might have the edge still however

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:38 pm

Super Saiyan 4 is the amalgamation of everything a Saiyan is

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:00 am But certainly, both transformations (along with all the recolors and Super Saiyan 3) should just leave this realm of existence for good.
Them there is some fighting words. SS3 is so much better than most other transformations in this franchise that it's almost comical. On top of getting a unique design that looks metal as hell, it has the hands down best transformation scene in the entire franchise (and yes, that's including the initial SS transformation as having had that spoiled years in advance of actually watching it took a lot of the wind out of the whole scene).

No amount of rewatching Goku's initial SS3 transformation (especially with Faulconer's track) gets old or causes the scene or form to lose any sense of the power they were going for.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:53 pm

Too much screaming for me, with SS3, also SS4 makes more sense to me anyway.. with Goku finally combining his Great Ape power with his Super Saiyan power, struggling to control it and then finally controls it to awaken a new OP form

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:38 pm Super Saiyan 4 is the amalgamation of everything a Saiyan is
I agree, just at the same time I just like the special energy idea. It is a cool way to allow Goku to get stronger than Gohan. I like the fact Gohan is naturally the strongest but the special energy allows them to be stronger than him

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:13 am

SSG is just a lazy recolor of base Goku... SS4 looks more like a godly transformation.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:32 pm

Kefla wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:13 am SSG is just a lazy recolor of base Goku... SS4 looks more like a godly transformation.
I agree and its a form that shouldn't need higher versions of it to gain more power. Its the ultimate Saiyan form.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.